Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lower Driving/Cornering Lights Out

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Aloha Tom 
#1 ·
Recently purchased a nice 94 GL1500SE that needs a little TLC. I have several lights out on the front that need replacing. I assume the lower driving/cornering lights stay on with the headlight and are just burned out? (I haven't found a separate switch) Also the lights to each side of headlight need replacing. Do I access them following the headlight replacement instructions? How about accessing the lower lights?

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
My '97 came with the cornering lights wired 'on' all the time. Makes sense to me. After a while, you'll get used to the additional light on the sides of your bike at night, and appreciate it. I also installed 35W bulbs to replace the 25W OEM bulbs. You can find them here.

http://www.elightbulbs.com/Eiko-48038-6235J-Miniature-Automotive-Light-Bulb

At that price, get several for future replacement. Also, be sure the contacts in the socket are really clean and shiny. Any corrosion can lead to heat buildup, that can cause connection problems down the road. I use dielectric grease on the contacts to keep them that way, but that may be cause for discussion by others. It's what I do on all bulb contacts.

You may also want to look at LED's for the 'position' lights (both sides of the headlight). There are some really bright ones available that are a definite upgrade to the standard OEM bulbs, and last longer. I used bulbs similar to these.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...e-wedge-retrofit-car/208/#/tab/Specifications

#10 ·
You can clip just one wire on each side(or better yet remove the terminal end from the relay plug and that way you can just plug it back in if you want to go back to stock.),but there have been reports of the Main Relay plug melting and causing problems especially if you add a higher watt bulb.There's a lot of stuff that is run by the Main relay.#3 I believe.You'd probably be fine with LED bulbs,but if not you would be better to add your own relays.

#11 ·
Here in Wisconsin you need them on all the time. In the spring the ground is cold and the asphalt holds heat from the daytime sun. If you go down old blacktop roads the raccoons sleep on the nice warm asphalt. I didn't notice one and kicked it. :surprise: It scared me more than hurt me. Wonder what the **** thought. Can't get a quiet nights sleep anymore???? :)

#12 ·
My understanding is that the 98-00 GL1500's had the 'cornering' (I think they are actually 'driving' lights and the design is different) lights on all the time. My 97 only has them come on when the turn signal is on.

According to Cyclemax in the text about the lower cowl driving lights they sell: "They stay on all of the time just like the 1998-2000 driving lights and plug in to the factory wiring harness" http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_lower_cowl_driving_lights/83/321

#14 ·
The cornering lights do next to nothing as far as lighting up the road no matter what size bulbs you use.They are on too much of an angle towards the ditch.The only real advantage to lighting them all the time is that the bike looks much bigger coming towards you.If you want real driving lights you will have to change them out so the bulbs actually point in the right direction.

#15 ·
My thoughts too. I've been eyeing the 50W LED lower cowl driving lights at Cyclemax. 100W of combined LED lighting would be handy. It would help with visibility (both me being able to see and oncoming cars seeing me.)

#16 ·
the lower cowl lights will make you bright to oncoming traffic, but the pattern and angle will remain to the front sides
Not much help in lighting the roadway

For that job you want some `cans`/aux lights, with LED and a narrow 10-15 degree spread.
Mount to crash bars or hide into the cowling. some mount to front forks- giving you real light on the road as you turn into the dark corner

#17 ·
I'm hoping/expecting that these ones from Cyclemax have the reflector setup differently so that they actually project more down the road and not just to the side: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_50_watt_led_lower_cowl_lights/83/195210

Anybody install these? Any comments on the light output/direction?

I do like the idea of the 10-15 degree LED spots mounted to the forks, so the light goes where the forks are pointed. You still have the angle problem when you lean the bike over (not like the adaptive headlight system on the BMW K1600GTL), though.

#19 ·
anyone else grow up with a bike where the headlight turned with the forks?
Getting used to the Wings car-like straight ahead setup... felt very odd on a motorcycle~

Fork mounted LEDs are on my wish list. Darkness comes before 5pm now- and the roads I like to enjoy a casual cruise on are totally unlit for 50+ miles, but still have all the corners!

Heated gear makes evening rides possible, comfortable even,,,if only I could see into the corner!

sidenote: ck craigslist for used heated gear, often a retiring rider of H-D or Wing lets a set go for cheap..
50 bucks each would be a steal

#20 ·
anyone else grow up with a bike where the headlight turned with the forks?
Getting used to the Wings car-like straight ahead setup... felt very odd on a motorcycle~
It's only the faired GLs that the headlight is like that. There were three models before your 1500 that had the headlight on the forks.
Fork mounted LEDs are on my wish list. Darkness comes before 5pm now- and the roads I like to enjoy a casual cruise on are totally unlit for 50+ miles, but still have all the corners!
Heated gear makes evening rides possible, comfortable even,,,if only I could see into the corner!
Or you could get a bike that the headlight actually turns with the corners. If I ever have an extra 30 large to spend on a bike, it'll be the K1600GTL
https://youtu.be/7vNESfn3nYw?t=34

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.