Thread: Poor Boy add on
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 09:31 AM
Roadyrider

Year: 1986
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade, 86000 miles
Garage
What kind of pulley is on the alternator? Did you get the one wire Denso or what?

What I put on mine was the one wire mini Denso, and it comes with a vbelt pulley. What I found is the largest pulley you can use, and still have the inner cover bolt pass, is 2.65 inch pulley. I just used a 2.65 inch alternator pulley for the drive pulley and raised the idle to 1200 rpm.

Some say a drive pulley that size is not large enough, but so far it has been adequate as I don't live in the city and sit around idling much. As I remember the Denso mini one wire's charge cuts in at 1200 rpm, and continues charging until it is stopped turning. I think Don Piggot used to use a 1:00 to 1:00 ratio, and later switched to a larger drive pulley to make it charge at idle.

I don't remember the bolt size myself, but you can just take the bolt to with you to get a longer one.
Hope some of this helps. In doing it without buying the kit is far cheaper, but not easier to do.

I don't know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.
-Bill Cosby-

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome