View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:14 PM
AZgl1800
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
a knowledgeable person will realize that there is only a single pin under the fender that holds the vertical receiver mount to the bike.

That can be wiggled out with a lot of effort, as the tongue has about 40 lbs sitting on it.
At first, I thought that was too heavy, and then I just increased the rear spring setting from 15 to 25, and the effect of a trailer behind me just simply vaporized.

I have to look in the mirrors to see if it is still there.

at the Rest Stops along the freeways? most of them have a large area where you can practice your tight figure 8s. I was doing that at one of them, and got a hand clap from someone who was watching.

I could not even tell there was a trailer behind me on those figure 8s.
and that was precisely why I was doing it.

I wanted to explore the outer regions of handling with the trailer hooked up.

It became evident to me quickly, that I can just ignore it, other that at gas pumps I stay 2 feet further away than usual. But, that is the only difference in the way I ride the bike.

I do not notice it on super tight twisties at all, it as if it is just not there.
It has never pushed me hard into the turns, I practice coming into the turns with a slight bit of braking lever/rear and just a touch of extra power.

That for some reason, makes the whole rig feel like it is riding on Railroad Tracks.

I just completed 3,335 miles with that trailer, and never once unhooked it. Still haven't and might not at all.... the whole thing will fit in the shop as is.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome