Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - New member.... new ride.. same adventures

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
lucasszy

Year: 1982
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100A
New member.... new ride.. same adventures

Greetings all....

A few months back the GF and I got back into riding after deciding that the commute was too hellish to continue in a car.

20 years off from riding and it all comes back so quick. Bought myself a great BMW for daily commuting, but 2 days ago I dropped the hammer and bought a 1982 Goldwing Aspencade.

The GF and I ride together, but thought it be great to be able to ride longer distances in a bit more comfort.

Ended up picking up this old gal. She runs, but is cranky, and I wanted a project to turn into something totally different.

So far... here is what I think she needs.

1. Air suspension is quirky at best. The PO installed a direct front fork air nipple to pump up the suspension. I think a rebuild is in order, with all new air lines. I want to get this back to stock and working.
2. All the control cables are tight as hell. I have the throttle in the top case, but will need to do all of them.
3. She starts and runs, but rough. Valve job, carb sync, timing belts. What else should be part of a first major service as the new owner? (I do all my own work)
4. The choke doesnt work... assuming that its just a cable issue.
5. Horn doesnt work...
6. Radio only pretends to play... horrid reception. Thinking of going aftermarket marine unit with new speakers. Replace all wiring.
7. Loose wires here and there. Need to trace them all out and replace and tidy up.
8. Full set of cases are all good, but I plan on a repaint.

62K miles.

Some quick questions....

I've googled and read a lot and watched a ton of videos, but what are some of the things that everyone recommends for the first service to the old gal?

Any GL1100A owners in the Los Gatos / San Jose Ca area?

glad to be here and soaking up all the knowledge I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170116_142630.jpg (117.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170116_142649.jpg (116.9 KB, 23 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome