GPS - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi all, Just a quick question about GPS in Ireland. As I'm returning to the sod at Christmas after spending the last eight years in exile, I was shocked to find that the GPS system in my car is supported in every European Country except Ireland. I was planning to purchase a Garmin GPS III + system that could be used in both my car and my Wing, but am afraid that Ireland is not supported/fully supported on this system. Does anyone have any experience with using GPS in Ireland and what kind of street level coverage can be expected ?

1996 GL1500 (Sold)
2000 Honda ST1100
2004 Transalp
1980 RD350LC (in boxes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 09:29 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

I think Wingnut is probably the best person to answer this one as he has the Garmin on his bike ,,for what it is worth ,I had a look at the garmin 2620 and it had fairly good coverage of all the big towns and streets in themin Ireland ,but I dont think the older ones had much coverage ,,but as I say wait for wingnut to read this and he should be able to clarify it for you ..cheers Ciaran

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 01:46 PM

Post imported post

Hey Greenwing, It might be better to email the wingnut because he only visits this board about twice a week, I think he might be in Berlin at the moment,or you could send a PM to Littlejohn he is also big into this GPS thing as well. I just stop and ask directions when I get lost and thats fairly often.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 03:16 PM

Year: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

And thats only trying to find your bike

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
yes it is Gaelic

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks lads, I'll be having a chat with the wingnut fairly soon and mention it.

1996 GL1500 (Sold)
2000 Honda ST1100
2004 Transalp
1980 RD350LC (in boxes)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 12:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to wingnut
Post imported post

The coverage of Ireland is much better with version 6 of the Garmin software than on previous versions. It's still not as good as the UK coverage but it's better value for money now. It's the same with other manufacturers as well, ie they all buy their digital map info from Mapsource. I contacted a Garmin rep early this year and asked why they market their products in countries where the map coverage is so poor. He told me that it's all down to the individual countries either not having digital maps yet or charging too much for them. Apparently Ireland is about the most expensive place in Europe to buy or leasedigital map info from, so it's back to the Mapsource guy driving around th ewhole country in his car with a tracker, and rented choppers mapping from above.
For a country that sports a small population, it seems that the return on this investment has to be balanced against the cost to produce maps, ie the bigger the population the better potential for a decent return. The Garmin rep was very helpful as it turns out he owns a GL1500 and had already visited this humble web site and he told me to expect major improvements for Ireland in version 7 of the software. The coverage in Ireland will get you to most places now. Th ecoverag of Dublin city is very extensive and also a few other cities, but that's little comfort to those travelling in rural areas.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 07:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Littlejohn
Post imported post

Coming back from the Irish Treffen I came upon roadworks in Sligo. There was a diversion sign telling me to turn right and that was the last and only sign. The Sat Nav said "Off Route - Recalulate." I had the safe mode turned off and hit 'yes please', whereupon it took me around theroadworks and back to the main road towards home again. I would have been lost without it.

Just got back today from a week in Las Vegas. Great place and brilliant fun. Spotted a place called 'dream cars' where you can hire for the day high performance Ferrarri's, Lamborgini's, Dodge Vipers. etc etc. Just give them your credit card, licence and away you go. 500 dollars a day for the top Ferrarri in red of course. Lot of money but one hell of an experience.

Candy Red 2003 GL1800A3
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page