New to GoldWings, bunch of questions - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for all your help in advance, guys. My best friend and I want to get some cruisers for the summer time and are looking to spend $2k-$3k on a decent 80's wing. Here are the questions we have:

1. What overall type of Goldwing would you recommend as the best value?
2. Are there any models we should stay away from?
3. Any chronic problem areas to look for when shopping?
4. Where are the best places to find a nice wing? Ebay? Cycle Trader?

Thanks,
Chris

Currently Bikeless
Bikes from the past:
1969 Honda CB77 Super Hawk 305
1983 Kawasaki KX125
1987 Honda Cr125R
1992 Honda CBR600
2000 Yamaha YZF-R6
2001 Honda CR125R
Looking for my first \'Wing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 12:39 AM

Post imported post

Hi Chris and welcome to the best forum. Steve has created a page with the history of the Goldwings and what year had what features. It seems like a number of us feel the best years are 1983 and 1984. These are the last of the 4cyl and they had a great numbers of advance features. Link brakes, trac system, self canceling turn signals and a better frame. The 83 1100 had adjustable valves where the 84 1200 where hydraulic.

Depending on how you want to ride, you can pick up a Standard, which is the strip down model, lighter weight, and better handling or go for the Interstate, which has the saddle bags. You can also get a nice Aspencade which is fully loaded with all the bells and whistle. I have both a Standard and a Aspencade. I have the Standard for sale for about 3k but it's it's loaded.

The most common problems seems to be the carbs, if you get a bike that's been sitting and the stator. Beware of bikes that look like Christmas trees. Too many lights will kill the stator.

I would prefer to find a bike through the Trader, and get a chance to ride it before I buy. Or check with you local Goldwing club. You might find one there. E bay is great for parts, but I'm not sure I would buy a whole bike on line. Others may have experience in this venue.

Take the advance riding course once you get the bike. The Goldwing is a different beast. Your dealing with around 800 to 900 pounds of bike. This is a touring bike, not a canyon racer. I use my almost every day to go to work, but I'm very respectfully of it's size and weight. This is a great bike. I know you will love it.

Jerry

89 1500 Had83 Aspencade and 83 Naked.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow What a Ride"!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the help, Jerry. I was hoping that I could find an 83-84 Aspencade in my price range, I think that they look the nicest and want the most comfy ride possible.

Currently Bikeless
Bikes from the past:
1969 Honda CB77 Super Hawk 305
1983 Kawasaki KX125
1987 Honda Cr125R
1992 Honda CBR600
2000 Yamaha YZF-R6
2001 Honda CR125R
Looking for my first \'Wing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Best looking member

Year: 1997
Make: Honda, is there any other?
Model: 1997 SE. Pearl Green
Post imported post

Welcome aboard fulldresser, for my money any of the 1200 are the best looking and apparently in 87 the last year of the 1200 they worked out most if not all of the bugs. I owned a 85 Aspencade traded it in on a 05 1800 then cancelled cuz of the frame issue, but the dealer had already sold my 85 to a guy in Australia. But I did love my 85, great bike. I miss her dearly.

Pearl Green(The Intelligent colour)

No question A.T.G.A.T.T. (Even when it's stinking hot!!)
And if it's too stinking hot to gear up, it's too stinking hot to ride.

If your not man enough to take the lead, stop complaining from behind.

I SURVIVED NASSIR 9.... barely.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To all of the troops and Vets. Thank you. I will never forget.

A proud Wild Rhino(Ontario) since 18 Jul 2013 (That mating sound thing really works!!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 11:52 AM

Post imported post

[suB]"I would prefer to find a bike through the Trader, and get a chance to ride it before I buy. Or check with you local Goldwing club. You might find one there. E bay is great for parts, but I'm not sure I would buy a whole bike on line. Others may have experience in this venue."[/suB]

[suB]Chris, I wrote this yesterday, but I was looking at E-bay this morning. They may have a program that give you a guarantee on your purchase. I still prefer to see the bike in person, but this gives you another option.[/suB]

[suB]No matter what bike you buy, be prepared to spend some extra money on it. I just got the sweetest deal on a 83 Aspencade for $100.00. It was a salvage title, but in great condition. However, I still ended up spending about $1800.00 on tires, carb rebuild, timing belts and water pump, plus some misc stuff. A number on owners have the bikes up for sale since they're just sitting in the garage taking up space. Unless they haveput a fuel additive in them, the carbs are most likely gummed up. [/suB]

[suB]Last thing. What type of riding are you going to do? If you love the canyons you might consider purchasing an ST1100 or 1300. The Goldwings will run but there built for comfort and long distance, not keeping up with pocket rockets.[/suB]

[suB]Keep us posted on how your doing. This is a great place to get feedback.[/suB]

[suB]Jerry

[/suB]

89 1500 Had83 Aspencade and 83 Naked.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow What a Ride"!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 02:13 PM

Post imported post

fulldresser wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all your help in advance, guys. My best friend and I want to get some cruisers for the summer time and are looking to spend $2k-$3k on a decent wing.
Hey fulldresser Welcome to the forum The best wing to buy is the and the $2k or $3k will do as a deposit. I ride a Honda 50 but i have the use of my neighbours when it's free.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 05:21 PM

Post imported post

Hey Chris,

Sounds like you got a bargain there. Hope you get lots of help here and make many new friends.
Best of luck with the bike,here's a pic of my baby...

Steve18
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MINI MY Wing Mar 05b 3.JPG (28.9 KB, 67 views)

Who Dares Wings
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 05:37 PM

Post imported post

Hey Orange18 Welcome to the forum. Nice you got there but not the fastest colour.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page