1978 Gl1000 Passenger Backrest - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Carson City, NV, , USA
Posts: 17
Post imported post

Good Morning All,

Perhaps one of you might assist me. I have been looking for a passenger backrest to bolt on a 1978 GL1000, without much success. The only model I have found so far comes with no padding and the vendor is proud of it (based on the price). Any leads will be greatly appreciated. I have included a picture of the bike to provide a visual ofwhat I am trying to do (given the current seat that is installed).

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Don


Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontview.jpg (67.5 KB, 56 views)
DMOXLEY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: , Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 4,882
Post imported post

nice looking bike... I am very fond onf my '78... back in those days there were lots of bolt on sissy bar type back rests and the had various ways of bolting on... have you tried JCWhitney, or even sabre-cycle as they might have something you are looking for... if I remember right, most bolted to the top of the shock bolts, although some needed a luggage rack to connect to.
rcmatt007 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
axelwik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 2,381
Post imported post

Ebay might be a good source... there are a lot of rear racks that have backrests incorporated.

Marco,
Albuquerque, NM

\'77 GL1000 (sold)
\'08 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
\'99 Ducati 900ss
\'97 Honda XR650L
axelwik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post imported post

Hey DMOXLEY Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. Thats a lovely wing you have there. If i could locate something like that i could give my old Honda 50 a rest.


post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Carson City, NV, , USA
Posts: 17
Post imported post

axelwik wrote:
Quote:
Ebay might be a good source... there are a lot of rear racks that have backrests incorporated.

Hi Marco,

Thanks, I have been keeping an eye on eBay looking for something, but right now the pickin's are lean. I checked J.C. based on another comment sent in and unfortunately they do not cater to GL1000 for backrests. No problem . . . I'll keep looking.



Thanks . . . Don
DMOXLEY is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Carson City, NV, , USA
Posts: 17
Post imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Quote:
Hey DMOXLEY Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. Thats a lovely wing you have there. If i could locate something like that i could give my old Honda 50 a rest.


Thanks . . . it has been fun bringing this one up to what you see today. It used to look like . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1089.jpg (95.3 KB, 22 views)
DMOXLEY is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
axelwik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 2,381
Post imported post

DMOXLEY wrote:
Quote:
axelwik wrote:
Quote:
Ebay might be a good source... there are a lot of rear racks that have backrests incorporated.

Hi Marco,

Thanks, I have been keeping an eye on eBay looking for something, but right now the pickin's are lean. I checked J.C. based on another comment sent in and unfortunately they do not cater to GL1000 for backrests. No problem . . . I'll keep looking.



Thanks . . . Don
Here's some that I found on ebay...

4556999018

4557153207

4546223312

4546223354

Corbin also makes an excellent leather seat for the GL1000 that costs $220 with backrest hardware built-in for both passenger and driver. The backrests are a bit spendy though.

Here's what my seat looks like... I'm still saving for the backrest, which costs just as much as the seat!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corbin saddle.jpg (45.2 KB, 35 views)

Marco,
Albuquerque, NM

\'77 GL1000 (sold)
\'08 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
\'99 Ducati 900ss
\'97 Honda XR650L
axelwik is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Carson City, NV, , USA
Posts: 17
Post imported post

axelwik wrote:
Quote:
DMOXLEY wrote:
Quote:
axelwik wrote:
Quote:
Ebay might be a good source... there are a lot of rear racks that have backrests incorporated.

Hi Marco,

Thanks, I have been keeping an eye on eBay looking for something, but right now the pickin's are lean. I checked J.C. based on another comment sent in and unfortunately they do not cater to GL1000 for backrests. No problem . . . I'll keep looking.



Thanks . . . Don
Here's some that I found on ebay...

4556999018

4557153207

4546223312

4546223354

Corbin also makes an excellent leather seat for the GL1000 that costs $220 with backrest hardware built-in for both passenger and driver. The backrests are a bit spendy though.

Here's what my seat looks like... I'm still saving for the backrest, which costs just as much as the seat!

Thanks for the help with eBay . . . the seat looks great!



Don
DMOXLEY is offline  
Closed Thread

  Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LOOKING for a passenger backrest - - - RckRagman For Sale/Wanted Forum 2 12-06-2011 11:34 PM
Need a passenger backrest Reinyrooster For Sale/Wanted Forum 3 06-08-2011 05:00 PM
Passenger Backrest Tubawinger For Sale/Wanted Forum 5 03-11-2009 06:56 PM
passenger backrest Ray Spears Goldwing Technical Forum 9 10-18-2007 12:27 PM
Stock seat, passenger backrest,And dragmasters drivers backrest for sale Like new GL1500 kswebb For Sale/Wanted Forum 0 10-06-2007 07:13 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome