Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

I know that this is a serious case of preaching to the choir... Most of you probably rode better than me years ago, and have forgotten more than I have learned.

With that said... I have come across a riding tip that works well for me. I though I share it for that one person in a million that might need it.

In my quest to be smoother, more stable, andmore controlled in the twisties... I have found that if I concentrate about 40-50 feet in front of me (rather than closer) I find I am much smoother. I 'spose it due to a wider field of vision and the ability to anticipate sooner.

:11black:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:44 PM

Post imported post

Concentration is a key element to smooth riding, but I also scan from the apex of the curve in front of me to looking at what's in the road not so far away from me. Eyes on a swivel sort to speak. I don't have any trouble maintaining a groove because I see what the curve in front of me is doing, be it getting tighter or looser, and with an frequent glance a little closer to the front of the bike, I can recognize bad road or debris, vehicles, animals, and the such and make what corrections are possible to avoid them and stay in the groove. I love the feeling of tracking through a sharp curve and beeing able to power on in the last part of the curve, zooming out onto the straight-away like a fighter plane. I love the focus that becomes part of the ride.

I try to avoid going into an unknown curve "hot". I hate the feeling that I'm going to perhaps run off the road before I can get slowed down.I've never donethat, but I've had my orrifices pucker a couple of times.

Keep enjoying the ride Ubarw, cause I know you do.

Man, so do I

hobie

Mark
Wineberry 1983 Interstate
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

It's like trying ride on a painted line. If you look well ahead it's easy to stay on a painted line, try it looking right in front of the bike and it can't be done. Same thing on the road anywhere, gotta keep the eyes way ahead. It might take a little practice in sharper curves, it's hard at first to keep the head up when you're bearing down in a sweep. I'm convinced a lot of accidents where someone crosses the center line is caused by a fixation on the line instead of keeping the eyes well ahead where they want to go.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Garage
Post imported post

Quote:
but I've had my orrifices pucker a couple of times.

Thats the feeling where your stomach knows you are at the line a split second before your brain...

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:14 PM

Post imported post

You're right Exavid !

Against the Wind !
"Patriot Guard Rider"/Nevada
GL 1100
Valkyrie "Fat Lady"
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:34 PM

Post imported post

Hey UbarW. Now if you can just give me a tip how to come to a nice smooth well choreographed stop!! I know, practice, practice, etc.

Actually I do ok most of the time, except when someone I know is around, then it looks like choreographed chaos.

Mike
Now in limbo trying to decide what I want to get.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Garage
Post imported post

Thats a good one. You asking me for tips on consistently stopping in a graceful manner.

It seems that sometimes I roll up likehollywood star, all style, smile and gile. Then Iforget to put my foot down.

Or, I roll to a smooth stop, looking cool. I look around, surveying how many people noticed my superior skills. Then I kill the bike with extreme prejudice cuz I left it in third.

Yep. All style!

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

A graceful stop requires a gentle stop. If I see my fork go down any, it isn't a graceful stop. As she comes to a stop the brakes need to be let off so at the moment of stopping there should be very little if any brake being held, at least on level ground. Brake modulation takes a bit of practice, I got lots of that bringing a 45' coach to a stop without the passengers being able to feel the moment the bus actually stopped. It's not quite as easy with air brakes, they aren't quite as sensitive to pedal pressureas hydraulic. Your foot should hit the ground just the moment the bike stops not before. It's also harder with a passenger on the back, any movement from there will throw you off a bit.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 12:02 AM

Post imported post

riding tips...

The best I have is

Push right to go right, push left to go left.

According to Don Vesco works from about 15-300 MPH outside of these speeds you need to steer in the direction you intend to go.

Tony
89 GL1500
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Garage
Post imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
Quote:
riding tips...

The best I have is

Push right to go right, push left to go left.

According to Don Vesco works from about 15-300 MPH outside of these speeds you need to steer in the direction you intend to go.
I have had a buddy tell me this, and I am having a hard time getting my head wrapped around it. It seems counterintuitive.

I have tried to try it (does that make sense?)

Panel 16W - Line 33

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page