Custom Fit Embroidered Dash Mats - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Patch
Post imported post

I just purchased a Custom Dash mat from an eBay auction. Here is a link to one of the auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...spagenameZWDVW

The seller is very good to work with and goes the extra mile to make sure you get what you want. Here are a couple of photos of the mat that he did for my GW.

Chris & April Sanders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 08:35 PM

Post imported post

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The plain mat was $19.50. The embroidery was an additional $22.00 for a total of $41.50 and free shipping. Very nice work. The embroidery is perfect.

Chris & April Sanders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
Quote:
The plain mat was $19.50. The embroidery was an additional $22.00 for a total of $41.50 and free shipping. Very nice work. The embroidery is perfect.
I had one on my 1200 that said "Metric Hog". Since the Goldwing is obviously more genteel and refined it should have stated, "Metric Swine"!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 12:36 AM

Post imported post

Your dash mat looks greatChris. How did you discuss color and design with him? I have a 1994 1500 SE we are going to trike and that dash mat will be perfect. Thanks for the answer. Lot of riding time here in Florida.

Forrest Allen
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

He offers several different colors of mats. Then you let him know what you wnat on it and what color you want the writing and he does the rest. There are several examples that you acn look at on his eBay auction.

My whole dash is black so I just matched that. I started toorder the brown mat but my wife thought that the black one would look better on the the black dash. She was 100% right on that one. After seeing the black one installed, I don't think that I would have liked the brown one if I had gotten it.

Chris & April Sanders
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 06:24 AM

Model: None
Since I recently replaced my cracked dash, I wanted to make sure this one doesn't crack, so took some advice from one of my friend who is in custom embroidered shirts business. My cluster hood is wrapped in carbon-fibre, so i didn't want to cover that up, and all the dash mats you buy cover the hood. I was not going to pay $60 odd for one & then take to it with a stanley knife. I really dislike carpet style dash mats anyway. So I decided to make my own. Here's how I did it.

First i got hold of some strong clear plastic sheet to make a pattern. Since I still had my old dash I used that as it was out of the car, hence better access. I taped it to the dash and cut a rough pattern leaving a bit of overhang for trimming.

After Second Pic:

Now I have to make it exact, so I used my hot glue gun & with a blob every 150mm or so, held the pattern in place on the dash so I could trim it with a very sharp stanley knife.

After Fourth Pic:

Then it was off that sheila's shop (Spotlight) to get some Vinyl. I managed ti pick up a piece of textured black vinyl, 1350 x 400mm for $10. I was stoked. Once home, I laid the vinyl face side down on my bench then placed the pattern UPSIDE DOWN and smoothed it out & holding it still with tape. I traced the outline and vent holes with marking pen. These lines are NOT the cut lines. They are the fold lines. Then with the pattern still held in place by tape, I cut the shape about 20mm outside the pattern edge. This allows it to be folded over and glued or stitched. For the vent holes, I just made a single cut up the middle of the hole.

After Fifth Pic:

Now it's time to glue & fold all the edges. As there are very few straight lines on an MX5 dash, there was a lot of notches to be cut. It's not difficult, just tedious. I used a sharp stanley knife, as this gives a cleaner cut and is quicker.

After Seventh Pic:

I used the hot glue gun for all the edges as well. A flat piece of aluminium or stainless is good to use to press the surfaces together for a nice sharp edge.

Finally this is how the finished product looks. It's all held in place by some small bits of Velcro.

Finally done
All up, $10 ( I already had the plastic sheet, glue gun, & Velcro) and about 3 hrs of my time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (48.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (66.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (46.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (68.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (54.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (36.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (32.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (70.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (55.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (80.1 KB, 18 views)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 PM

Model: 88 GL1500
I got one with just the Gold Wing emblem.
The one thing I really like about it is that it really stops the reflection on the windshield by the dash.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingercanuck View Post
I got one with just the Gold Wing emblem.
The one thing I really like about it is that it really stops the reflection on the windshield by the dash.

Same here, and I don't have to dust it as often as I do the plain dash.

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page