Give me a Brake! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1983
Model: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100A Aspencade
Post imported post

As most of you know I've only been riding about 5 months now and most of that time repairing what I ride. So, when and how do you use the front and rear brakes. Is there a "rule-of-thumb" guide as to when to apply the front brakes only, rear brakes only, or the combination of both? I find myself using the front brake a lot because its easy. I don't have to move my foot.

~Butch~~~
1983 GL1100A,Wineberry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 09:59 AM

Post imported post

I use both brakes all the time. The situation will determine how of which brake I use. If I need to stop in a hurray I will use more rear brake thann the front. Don't want the front wheel locking up.

Just recomendation, if you haven't already done it registar for a Motorcycle safety course in your area. These are great classes for everyone, new and seasoned rider alike. The teach you slow speed skills that are very useful.

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and holds the universe together!!

The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

teacher wrote:
Quote:
As most of you know I've only been riding about 5 months now and most of that time repairing what I ride. So, when and how do you use the front and rear brakes. Is there a "rule-of-thumb" guide as to when to apply the front brakes only, rear brakes only, or the combination of both? I find myself using the front brake a lot because its easy. I don't have to move my foot.
Hi Teacher. First, I also highly recommend seeking out and taking at least one motorcycle safety course. You will not regret it. I have a lot of miles on bikes, but have not ridden a lot in the last 19 years, so I'm taking another course in the spring to hone my skills.

Second, you will find this in training manuals, including the one from your state's department of licensing. You need to use both brakes most of the time. The front brake provides approximately 3/4 of your braking power, but it is not safe to use it by itself most of the time. If you need to stop fast, it is imperative that you use both brakes together. You can read the braking section in the Texas Motorcycle license manual on page 11 online. Here's the link. Texas MC manual

The more practice you get doing this, the more prepared you will be in an emergency. If it is already habit for you to use both brakes together, then you will do it in an emergency too.

Happy riding,
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 02:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to gkiesel
Post imported post

Both Brakes when you want to slow down. no brakes when you want to speed up. Sorry i couldn't resist . John is right a safty corse is well worth the money. Even after riding for years i still learned alot and unlearned a few bad habits I had been carrying for years.

George K
1984 Aspencade
1999 Kawasaki zrx1100
1995 Honda CR250
1977 KZ400 S3
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

To paraphrase what the guys are saying, "they didn't put the rear disk brake on for looks". Use both. You'll have better control, you'll have twice as much rubber on the road trying to stop you. Your brake pads and tires will last longer. If you're on slippery ground use the rear brake gently, it's not nice to lock up the front wheel, causes adrenalin OD.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 04:31 PM

Model: 2010
Garage
Post imported post

When riding the moutains, on occassion where you are required to do a lot of braking, it is best to use your front and assist with your rear. You have more breaking power with your front and also have dual disks which will remain cooler than the single rear. I've had occassion when taking the ride into the Black Canyon of the Gunnerson in Colorado where I lost my rear brake just as I got to the bottom. This was a 16% grade where my top speed was about 15 mph.

2010 That is Black and has a Black Trailer on the Back.
2003 That is the fastest Red I've ever seen
Riding a 4 wheeler, 2 of them are on the trailer
My hair is white, my neck is red, my collar is blue.
Darkside #1721
2010 Rear-Bridgestone Driveguard 195/55R/16
2003 Rear-Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip 195/55R/16
Wild Rhino
Group of Ten (Those ten guys from Winnipeg)
AKA Wingerpeg

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 05:38 PM

Post imported post

I read that Texas drivers manual from cover to cover (so to speak). Thanks for the link, good reading.

87 GL1200I Grey
03 GL1800 Red
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 07:03 PM

Post imported post

These guys are right, most of time use both breaks almost equally!

Exept in "Gravel" then try not to use your front break!

And if you have to "LOCK" your back break up at high speed and you are the least bit "side ways or leaning don't let off the brake, stay with it or it will "HighSide" you , it will "slingshot" you in the air and maybe into traffic!

Down shift through your gears so you don't have to use much Brake at all!

Against the Wind !
"Patriot Guard Rider"/Nevada
GL 1100
Valkyrie "Fat Lady"
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 08:29 PM

Post imported post

Teacher, I just want to bring interlocking brakes into the discussion, even though your bike will not have them. I suppose it is stated somewhere but I don't offhand know how the interlocking ratio back to front, is set up.

I always try to use the foot brake so as to get the interlocking action, and bring in the hand brake at the same time IF I deem it necessary. I will also use only the hand brake to TWEAK my speed if I am running straight. I always use the foot brake if braking is required in a turn. This method seems to wear everything equally, and seems safe.

I got this all from a 20 year Winger.

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I think if you look in the owner's manual Honda recommends using both brakes as does the Washington driver's manual but I suppose it's another one of those different strokes kind of things.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page