New Wing owner, new board member, old(er) guy rider (and wife) - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to say "Howdy from Texas" and dang glad to find this board! I'm a long time rider (since 7 years old) with a few yearshere and therewithout a bike. I've never owned a wing.My wife is a newbee with no experience, but willing to give it a go, as I told her tales of riding to new places and meeting good, fun people. I sold a 1985 Magna 2 years ago that I had restored, but was too small to carry us both- (and it was Christmas time with a teenager...). College is right around the corner, so buying even an older wing was a no go. I thought all hope was lost, and just worried that by the time College was paid for, I would be too old or physically unable to ride.A long time friend moved back to Houston from Florida (they didn't lose their house in the hurricane, but there is no work for income). He was the second owner of a 1987 Aspencade, and asked me to store it inour garage, as it had been in shelter it's whole life, (except the hurricane, it was abandoned outside). I of course said yes.Once he got it here, he explained his wife had had 3 neck surgeries, and could no longer ride. He offered it to me on notes at a bargain basement price.

I have only ridden it around the block once, but immediately started cleaning it back up. He said it was outside for the hurricane, and he was embarrased to even bring it to me in this condition. It's cleaning up well, and I'm getting insurance, tags and tires for it. I hope to see you all on the road soon- Cheers and a Magarita clink to you all.

1987 GL1200A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 10:46 PM

Post imported post

Welcome to the FORUM.

I am new to this forum myself and let me tell you these are a great bunch of people. It is a shame about the Hurricane in Florida. I had a Company From one of arelocal Fire Departments go. I was unable to go and help but my prayers were with them. I am really sorry about your friend having to uproot, I know that God will bless him in his own way. As for you, you did not state if you were going to by the bike or not. Let us know and show us some pictures too. Well Welcome I am sure the rest of the gang with chime in soon!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 12:31 AM

Post imported post

HI classic jackeroo welcome to the forum, get the wife out there polishing (bonding) with the bike and then do some miles on it.

1982 cany red 1100 Interstate
Chrome wont get you home. / Skype goldwingnut /RBLR . "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow we gave our today" Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 04:05 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

Hi Classic Jackaroo, sorry to hear of your friends misfortune, but at the same time, it is good to welcome another new owner of the finest bikes in the world.

You will find a wealth of useful information here, especially within the technical forum and aside from that there is the great sense of humour on the fun and miscellaneous section.

My other half (known here as Helen the Viking) had only been on the back of a bike once as a young lass, and had the c**p scared out of her by a recless rider. Now with the Wing she is almost as keen to go out on a ride as me.

I wish you and the wife many happy years riding and look forward to your contributions on this, the finest Wing site in the world.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 05:46 AM

Year: 1983
Model: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100A Aspencade
Post imported post

Howdy Classic Jackaroo,
Welcome to the best and only web goldwing talk show on the www. You have several of us forum membersthat live with 30 miles of you.

~Butch~~~
1983 GL1100A,Wineberry
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 05:58 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

Hello from Ireland and welcome to the friendliest and most informed goldwing site on the net ,,I hope you and your wife have a ball on the wing ,,,Just remember to take it nice and easy until you are feeling safe on the wing ,,Any problems or questions just post it here or the technical forum and it will be answered in the blink of an eye ,,,Safe riding ...Ciaran

Ps ,,our oldest and grumpiest official welcomer will be along to welcome you officially soon He is called REDWING,,but we all love him here ,,Because of his age we treat him with respect

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 08:51 AM

Post imported post

wexman wrote:
Quote:
Because of his age we treat him with respect
Just remember... respect has to be earned!!! And YES, Redwing has earned it.

Don

Please help keep the Cancer Candle burning!!!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 10:49 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

wexman wrote:
Quote:

Ps ,,our oldest and grumpiest official welcomer will be along to welcome you officially soon He is called REDWING,,but we all love him here ,,Because of his age we treat him with respect
Hang on, as the only official welcomer on this site, doesn't that also make him the YOUNGESTand HAPPIEST welcomer too

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Rod

Post imported post

Welcome aboard Jacaroo This is indeed a great place to find out things you don't know about your new bike , AND a place just to read around on a rainey day.............. And if there's no rain just put a sprinkler next to your window it works for me ya the huricane was indeed a kick in the ass we had some friends ( Mother and son ) come north and stay with us for a couple of months due to the fallout and the Great State Of Texas from what I understand took VERY good care of her eldest son Best of luck in the future....Rod

1981 interstate 1100
1984 aspencade 1200
I MAY BE SCHIZOPHRENIC BUT AT LEAST I HAVE EACH OTHER
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 11:13 AM

Model: 2006 ST 1300
Garage
Post imported post

Another big welcome to our newest Texan. Glad you're getting the old girl cleaned up. You've found the best Goldwing site going, these guys can and will advise and mentor you through any type of problem. Wishing you all the best with your riding partner, just take it slow and easy at first, building her confidence gradually...

For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.... Shooter (2Late45)

1986 Interstate, 2006 ST 1300
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page