heel toe shifter - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

i am here to ask a dumb question but i need to know. this is my first time with heel toe shifter and am not to sure about it. after riding for over 35 years i dont know if i need to change now. but how are you gonig to shift without it if you have floorboards that are in the way? please help 86 1200 aspy.

blue wing 86 aspy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:42 PM

Model: 2012
Post imported post

I think that a heel/toe shifter is on of the best things that you can put on a 1200.
It might take you some time to get used to it, but I think that it's worth it.
Paul

I spent most of my money on bikes & booze
and the rest of it I just wasted.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatinIdaho
Post imported post

Im pretty sure with floor boards youneed to have a heal/toe shifter. Maybe there is a setup that does not need it but i dunno.Personally i hated that setup and went back to stock pegs.

Pat

86 GL1200I 11,617 when bought now it\'s 17,606

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Protesters did NOT give me the freedoms I have now. THANKS VETS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:16 PM

Model: 1982 GL1100I (Sold); 2012 GL1800 VII
Post imported post

Hi Blue Wing and welcome to the best GoldWing forum on the Internet. In regards to the h/t shifter, I know of no way to shift without one if you have the floorboards. On a GoldWing it takes a little getting used to but once you do, they are great.

Jack
2012 GL1800A
2004 GL1800A Sold
1982 GL1100I Sold
1975 GL1000 Sold
1974 CB450 Sold
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I vote for Pat, took them off my 1200 and the 1100. H&T shifter just doesn't give the feel, I like real quiet fast shifts and the original shifter does that better.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 11:45 PM

Post imported post

jackjohn wrote:
Quote:
Hi Blue Wing and welcome to the best GoldWing forum on the Internet. In regards to the h/t shifter, I know of no way to shift without one if you have the floorboards. On a GoldWing it takes a little getting used to but once you do, they are great.
ACTUALLY you can shift a Wing with just floorboards... Had the pivot bolt (shoulder bolt for the techies ) break on me yesterday 12 miles from home (but STILL in Tucson). Soft toe shoes (leather Red Wings) allowed me to "just" get the front of the shoe under the shifter so I could up-shift. Down shifting was great, the height of the shifter was perfect to press down on it from the floorboard. YES, I do know I should be wearing boots, unfortunately I'm still looking for a set of boots that fit the "peg leg" on the right side.

Put the old peg and non-floorboard heel & toe shifter on, Short trip to ACE hardware for a new shoulder bolt, cobalt drill bit, (hardend shoulder bolt), a little time drilling out the end of the old shoulder bolt and then put the left board back on.

Yes I ride the wing with one "real" leg... You'll have to take the other one and my left arm to get me to stop riding

Been there, done that, left shoe has the scars to prove it. So don't tell me it can't be done.

BTW - The Wing is burgandy and I'm wearing Red Wing shoes... Funny how that works.

Ken S. - Old and one legged... But then again the 84 Interstate ain\'t what it used to be either.
Previous Bikes:
1983 Interstate
1975 GL1000 WJ III, Bates Bags, ARE Boot (115K)
2 1972 Yamaha Enduros
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

blue wing. I can't answer your question for sure, but remembering what mine looked like with boards, I think you would need to do some mods to the shift lever to use it normallywith the boards, without the heel-toe shifter. Personally, I hated the boards. I got used to the heel-toe shifter pretty fast, but there were other more major issues with the boards in my opinion, so I got rid of them and got some original pegs. I am much happier with the pegs. Therewas a lively discussion about this on another thread if you are interested, but it seems that people either love the boards or hate them, with not much in-between. Here's the link to the other thread.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...ighlight=board

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 02:22 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

I think the boards are dangerous ,if you are doing a lot of travelling in town/traffic ,,,Your reaction time is slowed down ,because you have to lift your foot on to the brake pedal or drive with your foot up on the brake pedal ,,I took them off a 1500 I had a few years ago ,,Might be alright for long runs ,but around town dangerous ..My opinion for what it is worth ..Ciaran

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
yes it is Gaelic

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 06:38 AM

Post imported post

Paul ,, speaking of shifting, I had my bike out the other day for just the second time since i got it. was riding around the neighborhood to get more use to it . I did alot of stop and go at the stop signs. Question is that sometimes when i down shift to first gear coming up to the stop sign I had trouble getting it to go into 1st. I had to kick it hard then other times it just sliped right in . If I got to the stop sign and hadnt got it into 1st yet i would sort of let the clutch out and i must have been in netural althoght the light was not on but then when kicked it the netural light would come on and then i would push it down to 1st. This is my 86aspy , Just wondering it this is normal or is it because i am a novice at riding .. thanks Larry

86GL1200A Two tone Blue
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 06:54 AM

Post imported post

This is my first experience with H/T and Boards and I never will be without them again. Ciaran's point is well taken, but I disagree. I usually shift my right heel up off the board and on to the stationary rear peg of my brake lever when in town. I do not believe that a significant lag is present.

As for precision of shifting, I simply do not find a problem.

Speaking of pegs, you all know I am an OLD trials rider.......LOLOL!! This Christmas in Arizona I had the opportunity to ride a bike of one of my son in laws mates. A Montessa Scorpa (Not sure of the dispalcement). Now that is riding the PEGS!!

Lovely bike though and so well balanced, I would love to compete today. My old Bultaco Sherpa though, would be outclassed.
I soon discovered the following:
1. I need to lose kilos
2. More so, I need to lose years!
I strongly suspect I would be outclassed as well. I did get to show the Scorpa's owner, Randy, a trick to "Charge" the fork for lift. (I suspect though he may have been humouring the old man)

1987 BLACK Aspencade 1200 with buku CHROME!

Saoirse! The rolling jukebox!

Knights Templar
Patriot Guard
Christian Motorcycle Association
VVAW
VFW
USS Henry W Tucker
CSG 11 PCF 35
USS Koiner
USS Greenwood

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page