Heel/Toe shifter - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:37 PM

Post imported post

On my old 1986 GL1200A, it came with floorboards and heel toe shifter. I liked it on that bike and after purchasing my 96 GL1500I, almost bought some to put on it but decided not to. My feet do not hurt nearly as bad when the floorboards where on the old bike. If you have large feet, you might want to stay away from them. While a person can put more of their feet on the floorboard, it is so flat it may hurt your shins and well as feet. Harley makes their bikes with floorboards and heel toe shifter much better than any Goldwing. It comes from the design of their engine.

Fatalattraction stated that if he could find the original shifter he would go back to it. From what is remembered, all you have to do is remove your floorboards and heel toe shifter and put regular pegs back on your bike. You might have to get shorter bolts to replace the ones holding your floorboards on now. At least the kind that was on mine just had a fork in it that slipped over the original shifter. Like the rest of the replies state, no one is down the middle on this.

Dirt

Ride smart and safe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:38 PM

Post imported post

It works with or without pegs. If my 1200 had not come with HT, I definitely would have added it first chance. I do have floorboards, but my 1100 did not and the HT was fine with pegs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1987 BLACK Aspencade 1200 with buku CHROME!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Saoirse! The rolling jukebox!

Knights Templar
Patriot Guard
Christian Motorcycle Association
VVAW
VFW
USS Henry W Tucker
CSG 11 PCF 35
USS Koiner
USS Greenwood

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Of course we know why you had the H&T Brojees, it was chromed!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 09:35 PM

Post imported post

I just installed my heel/toe shifter last week. I got it from an after market company. just check the web out for sites.

I have an 1100 Aspencade 1983. I love it. I got the pacakge, floor boards came with it. The floor boards make riding even more comfy, and the heel toe took some time to get used to, but now I love it.

Although finding neutral is a bit trick until you get sued to the heel and toe.

I would recomend it. I only paide $125.00 for it.

Scott in Canada

Scott Allen
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 11:47 PM

Model: GL1100I
Post imported post

When I first got my bike I had a markland h/t shifter and did not like it. Kept the floorboards. Then bought a 82 for parts with the h/t shifter by honda [ has original emblem on the floor boards]. Put that on my 81 and it works great.

1981 GL1100I Keep it vertical! Fred
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 12:25 AM

Post imported post

I installed a set on my 85 Aspy that came off an SEI or LTD. At first it was a little wierd shifting but I found my toes and the top of my foot are'nt sore anymore. The old shifter used to hurt the top ofmy foot after a while. This setup also came with the heel/toe brake as well. Only thing with that, is your foot is never hovering over the rear brake anymore and you need to lift your foot up off the floorboardto depress the rearbrake.

There are a few manufacturers still making these and I believe any other than the factory honda type, mount kind of lower, that is why they might drag in corners. Mine are mounted fairly high and so far have never scraped. Mind you I don't think many goldwing riders actually lean that aggressive for that to happen. At least I don't. Its also nice to havea set of highway pegs or boards to change your leg position every once in a while. A little stretchof the legs once in a while keeps my blood flowing and my butt from falling asleep. The aftermarket floorboards may suit a rider with longer legs.

As far as "Harley makes their bikes with floorboards and heel toe shifter much better than any Goldwing. It comes from the design of their engine." I don't see how the design of a harley engine has any bearing on how a floorboard is made. They all work on the same principal, some just a little different than others. There are some pretty nice floorboards out there for the 1500's and 1800's and they sure carry a hefty pricetag.

I don't regret installing mine. I drive pretty conservitavelyand if needed can shift through the gears pretty quick. If you drive more aggressive they might not be for you, as you have to move your feet off the boards more often to shift and brake.

1985 GL1200 Aspencade
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 12:25 AM

Post imported post

1985 GL1200 Aspencade
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 07:08 AM

Post imported post

The comments about the design of the engine on Harleys came from my observation of the locations of the floorboards and they way they were easier to shift. The V twin on any motorcycle allows the floorboard and heel toe shifter to be mounted more forward. The Goldwing engine being as bulky as it is makes it harder to mount one except in the flat position and harder to shift. That what I find that is uncomfortable for me. Due to my height and age, it is hard for me to find a real comfortable riding position on a Goldwing. I love my bike and more than likely will own nothing but a Goldwing. Both my prior bikes had heel toe shifters on them, but they were 4 cylinders and a little more room. It was hard at the beginning to learn to ride that way. It seemed that my shifting was at first the opposite the way it should be but that went away fast.

Dirt

Ride smart and safe

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:06 PM

Model: '85 GL1200 Aspy
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverDave
Post imported post

┬*I think that some of the reasons for the discussion┬* may be that not all HT shifters are designed the same way .[img]/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/grinner.gif[/img].. My Markland HT┬* ┬*and boards were designed for the 1200... boards are nice and flat ... and wide... and┬* the "brake" side has a┬* peg for the heel, which puts your feet at the same height on both sides... I love mine, and┬* rarely scrape the boards.. (they flip┬* up┬* quite a ways) ┬* ┬*The Markland setup gives me three places to rest my feet :┬* Both at same height on the HT, and┬* on the brake-heel peg....... #2┬* on the boards , if at cruising speed...┬* and #3...┬* on the highway pegs for that laid back cruisin' feeling .... I am sure I would NOT┬* like them ,if the boards were narrower, if the boards did NOT flip up... If there was NOT┬* a brake "heel"┬* post ....┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*Sign me┬* ┬*"for them !! "┬* ┬*SilverDave┬*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif[/img]

1985 Aspy Pinstriped Powder Blue & Matching blue Trailer.
"Mathematics is the Music of the Mind"

Gray-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:42 PM

Post imported post

And best of all, they are CHROME!!!

1987 BLACK Aspencade 1200 with buku CHROME!

Saoirse! The rolling jukebox!

Knights Templar
Patriot Guard
Christian Motorcycle Association
VVAW
VFW
USS Henry W Tucker
CSG 11 PCF 35
USS Koiner
USS Greenwood

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page