Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Heel/Toe shifter (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/271861-heel-toe-shifter.html)

leolarry 06-05-2006 08:12 AM

imported post

I have an 1986 GL1200A thinking of installing a heel to toe shifter has any one done this and what did u think of it . Larry

rcmatt007 06-05-2006 09:49 AM

imported post

there have been lots of threads on this topic and it usually comes down to those who like tham and those who hate them.... never seems to be anyone in the middle... I hated the ones I tried on my '78... I like the way my harley shifts

fatalattraction 06-05-2006 10:19 AM

imported post

I have the hee/toe shifter and it's ok. I think if I could find an original shifter for it I would go back to it. The heel/toe shifter was on my bike when I got it. Big heeled boots tend to get in the way some times.

hlndeerhunter 06-05-2006 10:22 AM

imported post

I just put Marylands on my 93 so for its ok.

+ is more comfortable for legs.

- lower to pavement in corners they will drag way before pegs will.

- shifts is a learning.

- + wider to put your feet down.

But all in all I think I'll keep mine.

twisty 06-05-2006 10:27 AM

imported post

leolarry wrote:
Quote:

I have an 1986 GL1200A thinking of installing a heel to toe shifter has any one done this and what did u think of it . Larry
Leolarry, in my estimation it really depends on the bike, shifter angle, type of floor board or foot peg, how your foot fits the toe only shifter...

I have a heel/toe shifter on some of my Harley's & just love that set up on those bikes withthe flat foot boards& a heel angle that will work good with a heel shifter.. Now on my GoldWing, Inever could get the correct angle with a foot peg & had to remove the foot boards as I couldn't keep from dragging them in the corners..

About all you can do is try a heel/toe shifter & see if it fits your needs.

Twisty

wexy 06-05-2006 12:18 PM

imported post

if you type in floor boards into the search box ,you will get plenty of info ,,this has been covered extensively before in several discussions ,,cheers Ciaran

leolarry 06-05-2006 01:22 PM

imported post

Twisty I dont have floor boards on my wing and wasnt planing on putting them on , it is just somtimes i have a hard time finding the the shift lever and with certian boots it is hard to fit under the engine heads . so that is why i was wondering if the heel/toe shifter would work , and also was wondering how it would work with the original foot pegs.. thanks for your input .. Larry

exavid 06-05-2006 02:45 PM

imported post

It can be done, my SEI had a H&T shifter with the pegs when I got it. I junked it a week later but it did work. More or less.

Ernest 06-05-2006 04:04 PM

imported post

I wouldn't use a heel-toe shifter without floorboards. I've never tried it, but I would imagine that you would have to rest your heel and ball of your foot on the shifter without the floorboards. I wouldn't go for that; that might cause accidental shifting.

exavid 06-05-2006 04:26 PM

imported post

There wasn't a problem with the set up, you could easily stay off the shifter and on the pegs. Just had to move your toe or heel to make a shift, no necessity of keeping your foot on the shifter. I sold it to someone on eBay, since I really don't like anything but a toe shift anyway.