LED Tail light conversion - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to BlackGW
Post imported post

I took off the rear turn signal housings and installed red LED tail/brake lights in their place. Above that, I mounted new amber LED turn signals of the same oval style. I took off the reflector on the sides of the bags and put a red lighted marker light in their place.

Gallery pics:
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/photopo....php/photo/856
(have to step through them using "Previous Pic")

I think they turned out good. I have some amber marker lights to put a couple on both sides up front. I might add at least one more red marker to the back (maybe right under the word "INTERSTATE"). I need to get some more pics taken of the conversion outside.

Do you think I should have left the reflectors in case the lights went out?

-Joe-
1983 BLACK GL1100 Interstate
1982 Honda Ascot FT500
1979 Honda PA50
Ye Old Unofficial, Unintentional Topic Killa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 09:43 PM

Post imported post

Curious, what was your motivation for change? Does the LEDs save much juice? Was it a kit or did you make the set up yourself?

2008 GL1800B (Airbag)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 12:19 AM
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

It looks good, congrats...

I am in the process of changing all the non-flashing lights on the Green Machine over to LEDS just to conserve juice. I have been buying from www.superbrightleds.com

So far, so good...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 06:09 AM

Post imported post

Just a note of caution folks. I have ridden with 2 classic bikes recently that have converted and I ended up advising both to go back to the standard configuration. Both bikes had lost significant intensity in their brake lights while in direct sunlight. I do not know if it is something that was not researched enough or was done poorly or what but they we definetly safer with the original setup. So please use caution.

Whiskerfish
2008 GL1800 Base

1978/9 Dressed daily rider 45k miles

1975 Nekid Noisy and Nasty
1975 Nekid in pieces parts
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I did it to conserve juice and also to add more lights to the rear of the bike. I want the bike to be as visible as possible. It wasn't a kit, I just wired in individual light assemblys and/or replaced bulbs.

I get all my bulbs and lights from http://www.superbrightleds.com as well. Good prices and fast delivery. Every vehicle I have has or will have LED bulbs soon.

At first, I replaced all the bulbs in the brake lights and turn signals (and replaced the flasher, which was intermittent anyway) and, even in direct sunlight, they still looked bright enough. When picking bulbs, especially red bulbs, get the most number of LED's on the bulb as you can get. Also choose 'wide' pattern. Those light up the lens a lot better (I haven't tried superbright's 3 Watt Luxeon LED[/b], anyone have a report on them?). The stock brake lights in the pictures have 24 LED red bulbs in them.

Good advice about checking for brightness in direct sunlight, though, I'll have to check out the new lights out in the sunlight to ensure that they are still bright enough.

-Joe-
1982 Honda Ascot FT500
1979 Honda PA50
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 08:52 AM

Post imported post

BlackGW wrote:
Quote:
Every vehicle I have has or will have LED bulbs soon.
Be careful. I've seen cars with LED taillights/brakelights that just don't seem to be all that visible. I pointed this out to my wife as we were following a Pontiac Bonneville with LED tail/brake bulbs. It was during the evening, so it wasn't sunny nor was it dark. We could barely tell that the taillights were running, but when the driver applied the brakes, we saw two bright DOTS (one from each brake light) rather than the whole brake light assembly light up as it should. In my opinion, they were less effective thanthe OEM bulbs. Now, if these "wide" pattern bulbs fix this problem then I'd say more power to you. But, I have not seen any of those that I know of. I would only install or switch to LEDs in a flush mount, such as on the rear of an 18-wheeler. That's where I've seen most LEDs. On a motorcycle, especially the Goldwing, we of course want to light 'em up and be as visible as we can. So, LEDs are a good option when taking our charging systems into consideration. I feel that an automobile's charging system will do just fine and LEDs are not necessary.

I love my wife.

Suffering from Goldwing withdrawal daily since 2004.

I like floorboards damn it!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Ernest has a good point. Don't assume that all LED bulbs are the same. Check and double-check the brightness in various light conditions to ensure that they are bright and safe. I changed the bulbs 3 times in my suburbans until I finally got the brightness I desired.

BTW, the new lights on the Wing are the flush mount Truck-trailer type that was mentioned.

-Joe-
1982 Honda Ascot FT500
1979 Honda PA50
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 04:57 AM

Post imported post

Hey Whiskerfish, If you are riding two bikes in the bright sunlight, tell me how you can tell if they are not bright enough? Use a photo light meter,this will change you mind. We who changed to LED,s did it to conserve electricity and still want to be seen, not to be sneered atby people who have not done this! You seem to have a negative responce to people who have changed to LED,s.

Alski [ Lord, please make me as good as my dog thinks I am!]
1987 Aspencade - Black
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 07:10 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

alski425,
I didn't read whiskerfish's response as negative at all.
I think he is just making the point to not expect too much from LED's in all conditions and to check under all of those conditions.

The issue should never be who favors or disfavors any specific technology, but an open discussion of the attributes of and the experiences with those technologies, pro and con.

Beyond than that, everyone is entitiled to an opinion. His, yours and mine.

Have a good one.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 05:15 PM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

I have noticed that most of our public buses have now changed to LED lights and worryingly for me, in certain light conditions, the new LEDs are not at all visible. Many new cars here are running them and I have not noticed their lights to be less visible, just on the buses here.

Any LED light that I add will be in addition to existing lights and not in replacement.

Alski 425 your view of Whiskerfish's post is quite "passionate" condidering he was just advising caution. Modifications of any kindmay be a benifit, but wrongly done can prove a liability, so it is only right and proper that it be debated.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page