Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:37 PM

Post imported post

axelwik wrote:
Quote:
exavid wrote:
Quote:
I'll bet a mesh jacket would be cooler than a long sleeved shirt.
In the last few weeks I've put in over 1500 miles with a mesh jacket in hot weather... 90s to over 100. I can truthfully say that a mesh jacket is cooler than a T-shirt. It lets the air through, but it doesn't let the sun through. No sunburn, windburn, etc.

And above 100 or so I use an evaporative cooling vest... it's like having a "cold blanket" around your torso (as long as you keep moving). It works best without a windshield, but still works (to a lesser extent) with a windshield/fairing.

Mesh jackets are available for about $100 these days and you can find evap vests for $30 to $45.

And my white helmet doesn't heat up like the dark-colored ones.

It's not hard nowdays to wear protective gear and still stay relatively cool.
I think you talked me into buying a mesh jacket. I already have an evaporative vest. It was 119 degrees F. when I rode hometoday. Starting to feel a bit warm!

Bob

83 GL1100 Aspencade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 07:21 AM

Model: '06 GL1800, '78 GL1000 with '75 motor
Post imported post

A couple comments:

The evap vests and mesh jackets are a very nice way to ride. I've had a mesh jacket for over a year and love it. The Joe Rocket "Rio" has been on sale at newenough.com for about US $55.

The cops & SP you see making their own rules are hopefully the glaring minority. Just like the cage world will talk about the crazy antics of bikers, we tend to see, notice, or remember the worst. We gripe about the bad eggs, but how often to we comment on the good examples?

That's the thing that safety management needs to work on - rewarding good examples on their own forces. A nearby city has some of the worst driving habits in its police force and city workers that I have ever seen, but they have a union there that prevents any punishment OR reward system for driving conduct.

Anyway, don't get the idea that they are all bad. They are doing their jobs for the most part. Some may be bad and some may have been given idiot orders due to recent accident rates or citizen complaints. I know that the worst duty I ever pulled was SP in Holy Loch Scotland. Luckily I only pulled it about once a patrol, but I hated it. The permanent SPs had bad attitudes, but I learned that it was because they had aXXXoles for chiefs and only delt with people that were misbehaving.

As far as the rules - we would all have to go by these kinds of rules if the overzellous "safety experts" could force it on us - much like the rules some environmentalists would like to invoke. But we are civilians in a democracy, and the majority has limited powers. On a military base you have an example of what it would be like to be in a nation where rules are dictated by a small uninformed and detached few.

"Love 'em all... Let God sort 'em out!"
'52 wife - '69 daughter - '83 daughter
ex '86 SE-i
ex '77 GL1000
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 04:51 PM

Year: 1984
Model: Gl1200I
Post imported post

pidjones you couldn't have said it any better. In my 20 years of police work I've discovered that people are people all over. There are bad doctors, nurses, lawyers, bus drivers, mechanics, plumbers, carpenters, etc.everywhere. It's always the few bad apples that we hear about and they stick in our minds instead of the many, many highly qualified and professional ones.

1984 1200I Candy Cobalt Blue over Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black & Silver Marbling. Poorboy alternator. Progressive springs and a comfy gel seat.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 06:59 PM

Model: GLA
Post imported post

Keystone742 wrote:
Quote:
pidjones you couldn't have said it any better. In my 20 years of police work I've discovered that people are people all over. There are bad doctors, nurses, lawyers, bus drivers, mechanics, plumbers, carpenters, etc.everywhere. It's always the few bad apples that we hear about and they stick in our minds instead of the many, many highly qualified and professional ones.

Quite right.Ihad acop fly past medoing about 80 (late at night)shot over two lanes cut across my bow and got off the freeway.I thought he was on a call even though therewere no lights or siren. No signals either. But whenI got off the freeway there he was at a light. Just as I got there the light went green and he tookoff. I was doing the speed limit(35) but he left me behind in no short order. He had to be doing 50-55 in that 35 zone. But he was about the only one I ever saw do something that blatant.Last year at Sturgis, of the thousands of bikersI saw, I only witnessed maybe 5 people pull some boneheaded stunt. 99.9% of the folks were very well behaved on the road. Sofor the most part...............
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page