no shoes-no shirt-no admittance - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

having some problems so made an appt with the V.A. The clinic I go to is on a REAL small air force base, maybe 100 actual military there. Rode out on my bike, like I have done many times before, rolled up to the gate....they would not let me in.
It was 97 degrees out.
They said in order to get on I needed a long sleeve shirt and boots, I was wearing a short sleeve shirt and these waterproof slipons I wear as I can not wear boots....

Had to turn around and go home......

77 GL1000 - forever in your debt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
Post imported post

Here on FT Hood where I work, you have to wear boots, longsleave shirt, gloves, reflective vest, helmet, and eye protection and also pants(not shorts). It is a DOD requirement for all the safety gear and you also have to have proof of the MSF course before they let you on post. And it was 105 here yesterday going home from work and I was on the 1100 yesterday. The 1500 is nicer to drive to work when it is hot, because it doesn't cook your legs like the 1100 does. I don't normally wear LS shirts, or gloves or the reflective vest when I don't have to go on post. But it's their rules and if you want to play, you have to follow their rules.

Gene

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 08:17 PM

Post imported post

I work on a military post and what GLestersaid is correct. I ridemy 1100 65 miles every day it isn't raining (so about 355 days a year) and it's been 114 on the way home for the past two weeks. I wear the full outfit on the way in but usually "forget" to put the long sleeve shirt on when I leave. Never been stopped yet. I guess the security/guards don't want to get out of their air conditioned vehicles to make me put it on! Or they think I'm nuts for riding in this kind of heat and just take pity on me.

This week it's been over 95 degrees when I leave the house for work at 0500. 32 miles later when I get to work I'm already hot and sweating! AND IT DOESN'T GET HOT UNTIL NEXT MONTH!

Your not alone don_berryand GLester! I bought a half helmet last summer and it helps a lot in the hot weather. I don't care for it though, I prefer my full-face flip up. All but three miles each way (in town) are on the open highway with speeds from 55-70. I have highwaypegs and use them as much as possible to keep the heat off my legs. If I didn't have them I would probably take the car this time of year!

Bob

83 GL1100 Aspencade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I hate driving in cars, hard to get in and out......I am taking my car from now on.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:11 AM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I'll bet a mesh jacket would be cooler than a long sleeved shirt.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 06:05 AM

Model: '06 GL1800, '78 GL1000 with '75 motor
Post imported post

Don, you might get the doctor at the base to give you a chit permitting the shoes. They looked plenty safe to me. Too bad the VA clinic is on a base so you have to go through the DOD rules, since I think VA is separate. Might be a good excuse to ride through Knoxville up to Johnson City!

I noticed that the local Cycle Gear store carries the DOD vest. It looks built for combat!

"Love 'em all... Let God sort 'em out!"
'52 wife - '69 daughter - '83 daughter
ex '86 SE-i
ex '77 GL1000
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 06:44 AM

Post imported post

I hate the DOD rules also. The safety officer at Whiteman AFB, MO will not define what a long sleeve shirt of contrasting colors is or brightly colored. DOD rules state that during the days a long sleeve shirt and at night a reflective vest. As stated you must also have eye protection unless your windshield goes over the top of your head in a upright position. Long pants, full fingered motorcycle gloves, of which I wear the summer gloves which have holes in them to let your hands breathe easier. Shoes must cover the ankles and be made sturdy. Most of the time, it depends on who is working the gate if you are allowed in.

I went to Ft. Leonard wood over the Memorial day weekend and it was the first time there since 1961. Had no problem getting on the base. Done some shopping at the BX and went out and got on my bike. The key was placed in the ignition but not started. Along came the MP's and he asked me where my helmet was. At first I thought it was on but then realized it had been left at the cashiers counter. He informed me that if a person was sitting on the motorcycle even tho it was not running a helmet must be worn. At this point I came close to calling him and idiot.

Have been trying to contact the right people who can exempt retirees and civilians from wearing all this garbage. Informed the general on base that if this old man is ever in a accident on his base that I would sue since all the garbage being required to wear was to have stopped me from having a wreck. Retirees and civilian workers are not required to have a MSF course completed to ride on base. There are some exceptions to that and if it is the case then the instillation must pay for the course.

I better stop now before the old top is blown.

Dirt:P:P:P

Ride smart and safe

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:05 AM

Post imported post

Well, like I've heard it said before, "An elephant is a mouse built to DOD standards" and it sounds like not much has changed since I was driving my bike on and off military reservations back in the 70's. They go so overboard on some stuff...I can understand being safe, but how safe are you when you pass out (or worse) from heat exhaustion trying to wear all the garb you need to wear to get in and out of a military base. Fortunately, where I was stationed (NAS Mirimar in San Diego) there was a pull off parking area just before you went through the gates and I would pull over there and dress up for the guards. All of us would do it in full view of the guard shack but technically we were off the base and there wasn't anything they could do about it....two could play their game:P

"Give me some wings I can glide upon" - Gordon Lightfoot

Bikes from previous lives...
1976 CJ360-T
1978 CX500
In Process...
1982 CX500 Custom

"Live Free or Die: Death is not the worst of evils" -General John Stark-

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:37 AM

Post imported post

Timmus wrote:
Quote:
. Fortunately, where I was stationed (NAS Mirimar in San Diego) there was a pull off parking area just before you went through the gates and I would pull over there and dress up for the guards. All of us would do it in full view of the guard shack but technically we were off the base and there wasn't anything they could do about it....two could play their game:P
There have been people whom I known including myself, who have pulled up to the gate, stopped, got off the bike, then put all the gear on. Reversed it going out the gate. Makes people unhappy but the rest of us are smiling from ear to ear.

Dirt

Ride smart and safe

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I would take all the gear and put it on at the gate, but it is the boots that get me......maybe I could have the guards put them on for me

When I was in the Army, I was stationed in Germany and then came back to Kansas. I honestly hated being stationed in the States. Overseas, you did your job, worked hard, played hard.
In the States you worried about shoes looking good , clothes pressed just right etc. The actual job was secondary to all of the other bs.....

I reenlisted just to get out of there and back to Europe.

sorry, my rant for the day, I just do not believe a long sleeve shirt is going to help me much if I go down, nor the boots. Actually, if I go down, I am broken and there isn't a whole lot going to help me short of an ambulance.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page