Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone own a KZ1100A shaft drive ol' bike

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ran429 
#1 ·
imported post

Greetings all fine folks.

My brotherin law picked up a very clean 1982(I think)Kawasaki KZ1100A shaft drive bike. He paid.....hold on.......$200 for it and it's driveable. As a matter of fact, we went out on a test drive with him after he'd had the bike serviced and I think he got one heck of a deal.

I've tried to help him out technically but there seems to be a dirth of information out there. Specifically, wheel bearings, seals, OEM manuals, and such.

Can anyone steer me to a forum or info site to help him out?

I have managed to get him a set of Avon Venom X tires for $201, just delivered today, for his scoot. He's going to poop himself when he leans that pup over and it feels gooooood.

Regards

hObIe

#2 ·
imported post

Hi Hobie 1 ,what parts are you looking for? ,The dealer where I work was a bike breaker in the 80s and 90s and there is a lot of stuff packed into boxes and all tagged and computerised ,if I know what parts you are looking for I can check and see if we have them cheers Ciaran

#3 ·
imported post

Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm just trying to find some new wheel bearings for him as we are going to put on new tires in a few days. The bike sat for some time and I think it would be a good idea to go ahead and do this. I've tried my usual spots but haven't come up with an exact match.

I've found that there doesn't seem to be much info about this particular model of Kawasaki.

I'll keep you in mind if we run into not being able to find a specific part.

Regards,

Hobie

#4 ·
imported post

My second new bike was an '82 KZ1100A. I still have some parts for it, but no engine though. Most everything else. Gas tank is gone, I know.

And somewhere in my garage, I still have the OEM service manual for it. The '82's came in 1 color, red. Illuminous Passion Red to be more precise. I think the '81's came in blue only.

Raymond

#5 ·
imported post

Thanks Sam. Was this bike kind of a limited production? My b-i-l's bike is red. Fortunately, it is in pretty good condition over all. He's had it serviced by a reputable dealer and has ridden it a bit. It runs great and is a low mileage bike. I think he got a great deal if he can find parts for it.

Thanks.

Hobie

#6 ·
imported post

Hobie, you can get them at http://www.oldbikebarn.com $13.00/ea for front and $15.00/ea for rear. I would call and make sure he has them in stock if you're in a hurry. These guys can be a little slow to ship sometimes.

#7 ·
imported post

Thanks everyone for your help. I decided I wasn't looking in the right places so I re-did my search.

I've found several local dealers who carry ALL BALLS bearing kits or they can get them.

Regards,

Hobie

#8 ·
imported post

No, not a limited run. Kawasaki was a popular bike back then. I bought it new in '83 as a leftover year model. Loved it, but it's no Goldwing. Here's a picture of one that was sold locally, mine was identical to this, down to the Kawasaki by Vetter bags, trunk and fairing.

Raymond

Attachments

#10 ·
imported post

www.cyclemadness.com or www.kzrider.com

For parts except no other than z1 enterprizes.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/Dont buy parts anyplace else, you will be raped on pricing. Jeff is top notch and his customer service is the same.

Tell JeffRandy (ran429) sent you.

While you are replacing the wheel bearings, you might think about fork seals and Steering head bearings too, may as well since you will have the wheels off anyhow.

Inspect the swingarm

I think i know of a free online manual, i will post it if i can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.