Tire mounting costs - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

It seems anywhere that installs car tires can remove, install, balance, and remount wheel (without damaging wheel) for about $5-10 each and even will offer a raod hazard warranty.

Why won't ANY motorcyle dealer or motorcycle shop do the same. Even anything close to that price. I've been calling around and found that if you add up the time to swap out the tires, it exceeds the normal shop hourly rate.

I've watched the mechanics change outmy m/c tires many times over the years, and I cannot find any real difference to a car tire install and balance. Even if I hand carry both wheels in for tires, the price is still $35-40 each, and will take 5-10 minutes each to install and balance.

What gives?

Lets not even talk about raod hazard warranty!! I guess that motorcycles are more prone to abusing the tire than cars!

1987 Kaw ZL1000
1990 SE - Pearl white with graphics by Buzzard.
Authority unquestioned is authority out of control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:11 PM

Post imported post

I can't answer that. I have never paid to have a motorcycle tire installed. I always do my own. Well....I might be able to offer a possibility. Years ago I worked at the Honda shop here part time. The mechanics were not paid an hourly wage. They got a set fee according to the job they did. No work,no pay. Some jobs paid better than others. They loved tune ups. A tune up,new plugs,points,condenser,valve adjust etc could be done in 30 minutes and paid I think 15 bucks for a 4 cyl bike. A set of tires took as long and paid 3 bucks to the mechanic. For that reason I got stuck with all the tire changes so I got pretty good at it. That could be one reason. I wouldn't change a tire for 3 dollars,(my part). would you?

Bob..KF4GP
If it ain\'t broke, fix it till it is!

Life is ten percent what you make it, and ninety percent how you take it!

79 GL1000 46K
86 R80RT
90 K75RT
Garage won\'t hold any more!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 05:08 PM

Post imported post

Even if you buy the tires from them they probably still charge you a flat rate fee,but if you bring your own tires in they are definitely going to stick it to you.They're either going to make it on the tires or on the install.

Fatwing Chris
Darkside #1602
Gone Double Dark with a BT45
If I\'d have known it would last this long I would have taken better care of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 05:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2wings
Post imported post

They will either get you coming or get you goingHowever, either way you will get got

If I buy tires from my Honda dealer, the bill will always state there has been a $50 deduction for service. I know this is a lie; they have increased the bill by 50 bucks so they will break even and the only one that is getting the tire rod is me. OuchGot to get me one of those tire changers

Keep on Winging

John Young
92 GL 1500
On the hunt for a Red 2005 1800 with all the fixings
49 Wife ....Keeping the Wife, to much invested
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

charz wrote:
Quote:
It seems anywhere that installs car tires can remove, install, balance, and remount wheel (without damaging wheel) for about $5-10 each and even will offer a raod hazard warranty.

Why won't ANY motorcyle dealer or motorcycle shop do the same. Even anything close to that price. I've been calling around and found that if you add up the time to swap out the tires, it exceeds the normal shop hourly rate. !
Volume. Most auto tire shops do many times the tire business that any bike shop does. Auto tires are easier to mount and dismount. You could change several cars tires in the time it takes to do one Goldwing for instance. Around here it will cost about $25 to mount and balance a tire for a Goldwing if you take it off the bike. Having the same done on a car tire will run around $10. Basically it's volume business and competition that keep the price down just like anything else in the market.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Well said Exavid. Greed is another reason. They probably figure that where else are we going to take our bike tires to be changed.

I need 2 tires replaced on an 85 Aspencade that I'm working on and they are so busy with their tire machine that they can't fit me in until next week. They will be charging me $30. per tire installed and $14.50 each tire for balancing them. Considering that their equipment is all paid for they are making a decent buck for an hour's worth of work.

I could go elsewhere to save $10. but it would mean a 100 mile round trip in the car so there's no savings there.

I guess that the bottom line is that they have the equipment to do what we need and they are going to enjoy the fruits of their investment in tire changing equipment.

I can and do change my own tires by hand if I have the time and inclination but it's so much easier to watch them carefully spin the old tires off and spin the new ones on then balance them on a computerized high speed balancer. Static balancing on a bicycle is great but for a high speed machine like a GL1200 I won't settle for less than dynamic high speed balancing.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A place for GL1200\'s to gather.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I've watched our shop change out both tires (wheels brought in without bike) in 15 minutes on more than one occasion.

1987 Kaw ZL1000
1990 SE - Pearl white with graphics by Buzzard.
Authority unquestioned is authority out of control
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 10:44 PM

Post imported post

Buy your tires at cycle outfitters in Indy and they'll mount them for free if you take the tire off the bike.

1986 GL-1200 Aspencade 53,000 Miles so far...
2001 GL-1800 ABS 36,000 Miles
1983 GL-1100 Interstate 204,000 Miles
1988 BMW K100LT 31,000 Miles
1981 GL-1100 with Vetter Tourpak 107,000 Miles
1981 HD Sportster 42,000 Miles
1978 Suzuki GS-550 36,000
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:10 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

That is way over the top charging if all they are doing is just changing the tyre on a wheel that you have already taken off the bike ,

If it is a 1500 ,there is no way in this world that you could take off both wheels and change tyres in 15 mins ,I would estimate even a good mechanic
would take a minimun 1 to 2 hours to take off front and rear wheel on a 1500 and then take off the old tyres and mount and balance 2 new ones and fit them back on the bike ,

I think whoever works in the office ,just see a fitting of a tyre and is not bothered whether it is on the bike or not and just charge the same ,,Next time arrive with the bike and see what the charge is ,If it is still the same then let them have the hardship of removing the wheels

Cheers Ciaran

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 06:33 AM

Post imported post

motorcycle dream shop in southeast ohio does it for $10 and balances them if you bring the tire to them. its about about a 45 min ride for me but its the principle. i like to give my work to someone who looks out for me. besides the last set of metzlers i bought from him i saved almost $100. i like road trips. they could be a lot of fun
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page