What do you do about charging dogs? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I think this would be a good topic to discuss. We have all had it happen. You are riding along minding your own business and enjoying the day when you see a dog in someones yard,or on the side of the road getting ready to charge at you. What do you do? This could be a dangerous thing if it runs in front of you or if you do the wrong thing in an attempt to avoid it.

This is what I do and it has worked for me many times over the years. I think dogs actually judge your speed and calculate an intercept course to get you. I try to mess up his calculations. Slowing down won't really work as he has time then to adjust his attack to get you. If he is going to charge from the left I will move towards the middle of the road so I have room to maneuver. When he begins his charge and depending on traffic I will actually turn toward him and just before he gets to me I move to the right and speed up. That messes up his intercept and leaves him standing there. Of course if I don't see the dog till it is too late to set this all up I ride straight ahead. I think the worse thing you can do then is hit the dog while trying to maneuver..

I centerpunched a midsized dog years ago. He was about 45lbs and ran right in front of me. I thought I was a goner. I was going about 30mph on an early 70s model BMW. Just before I hit him I jerked up on the bars and rode right over him. The bike left the ground like I had ran up a ramp but stayed upright. I think If I had tryed to miss him it would have been bad. Killed the dog but I rode home unscathed..

Bob..KF4GP
If it ain\'t broke, fix it till it is!

Life is ten percent what you make it, and ninety percent how you take it!

79 GL1000 46K
86 R80RT
90 K75RT
Garage won\'t hold any more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 12:56 PM

Post imported post

Dogs instinctively plot an intercept course. How you avoid them is by slowing down, which causes them to change their course, then speed up. They can't react quickly enough.

From the Oregon Motorcycle Manual:
"If you are chased, downshift and approach the
animal slowly. As you approach it, accelerate away and leave the animal behind.
Don’t kick at an animal. Keep control of your motorcycle, and look to where you
want to go."

1998 GL1500A - Stealth Black - the sneakiest color!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
Post imported post

The manual is correct, it has worked for me on several occassions. Before I found that out, I used to just shoot at them (never hitting them) but the local police didn't like that too much.

Gene

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 PM

Post imported post

There's a rottweiler in one of my normal travel routes, and the "slow down, downshift, speed up and away" technique has worked well for me.

[COLOR=GREEN]Endwell_Tim
81 GL1100I ---->>>> GONE!!!
90 GL1500 SE
"Opportunity is most often missed because it shows up in overalls, lookin\' like work..."
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:46 PM

Year: 1982
Make: Goldwing
Model: Interstate
Post imported post

Back in the 70's when I lived in San Diego, there was a small dog that always ran out to "greet" me on one of the streets I used to use to get to my apartment. I usually was able to avoid him but one evening after a particularly gruelingflight (I was flight crew in theNavy)I was tooling down the street about 45 mph and totally forgot about my little "friend". He came shooting out from between two parked cars and instinctively I tried to kick him away as he was right "there" on my left side... I was wearing steel toed flight boots at the time. I don't know where onhimmy boot caughtbut it was soft and the dog went sailing.

I never saw him again. I don't know if he learned his lesson, died , or both... I felt kinda bad the rest of the way home but dammit, there were leash laws in SDeven at that time. There were so many houses in that areathat it would have been impossible to try and locate any owners, etc...

Still to this day, I wonder what actually happened to the critter

"Give me some wings I can glide upon" - Gordon Lightfoot

Bikes from previous lives...
1976 CJ360-T
1978 CX500
In Process...
1982 CX500 Custom

"Live Free or Die: Death is not the worst of evils" -General John Stark-

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:51 PM

Model: 1983 GL 1100 I
Send a message via AIM to dan filipi
Post imported post

I had many many years of dogs charging me when I was a kid and scaring me to death that I built up a STRONG hate for dogs that do this.

I'm bigger now and handle it differently by pulling to the side of the road and kicking the [email protected]# out of it!

1983 GL1100 Interstate with 1200 engine, single carb, and C5 ignition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:52 PM

Post imported post

i had a shepherd that used to do that to me all the time, i fixed the problem by stopping, dismaounting and taking the time to say hi and give him a pat, from then on he would rush to the footpath and stop when he realised it was me, every now and then i would stop again just to reaffirm the friendship, never a problem for yrs after....

\"\"THE MAD WELSHMAN in OZ\"\"

\"Lifetime member of the ORIGINAL 6 PACK club\"
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

taffy australia wrote:
Quote:
i had a shepherd that used to do that to me all the time, i fixed the problem by stopping, dismaounting and taking the time to say hi and give him a pat, from then on he would rush to the footpath and stop when he realised it was me, every now and then i would stop again just to reaffirm the friendship, never a problem for yrs after....
I have found an ammonia squirt bottle reduces the investment in time considerably.
After that they just stay in the yard and bark.
Pavlov had it right the first time.

Rudy

...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:08 PM

Post imported post

good ole pavlov, where would we be without him.............

\"\"THE MAD WELSHMAN in OZ\"\"

\"Lifetime member of the ORIGINAL 6 PACK club\"
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:12 PM

Post imported post

as the others, I do the slow down speed up procedure. I haven't been caught yet

77 GL1000 - forever in your debt
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page