We don't have that item in stock but we can order it for you. It'll be here in two days - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

This post is my attempt at tongue in cheek journalism but the question is at the end. lol

There are two Honda dealerships close to me that seem to have very busy parts departments (if you call you are put on hold for a long time). I think that when yougo to work for a dealership they must send you to a special school. All they need to teach you in school is "We don't have that item in stock but we can order it for you. It'll be here in two days" Seems that no matter what I go after, this is the answer I get. I don't think they have any parts behind the wall. It must be there to fool people into thinking they have lots of stuff back there.

I went to the honda dealer the other day for some washers. I wanted 6ea of the washers that go on each side of a banjo fitting to keep the brake fluid from leaking but the answer was "We don't have that item in stock but we can order it for you. It'll be here in two days". I wonder what they would say when I went to pick up my partsif I told the cashier, "I don't have any money in my pocket now but I'll order some, It'll be here in two days"

Finally the parts guy said just go to the auto parts store they have them there. If I go to Auto Zone or Advanced - - -What do I ask for? I'm pretty sure they probably have no idea what a banjo fittings.

Thanks for tolerating my rant. I'm sure none of you have ever had to wait for parts.........rotflmao

Chuck
1997 Virago 1100(only weighs 500 lbs)
"Life is like a coin, you can spend it anywhere you wish but you may only spend it once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 09:40 AM

Year: 95 se model
Make: honda goldwing
Model: se
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to zimmerleemark
Post imported post

halls it's not only in georgia thats here in texas also. and i have to drive 30 miles 1 way to hear that

mark

looking for a nice 1500, that i can afford
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

You know, I could understand it if it is a rare item. But, I went to get a tire and got 'We don't have that item in stock but we can order it for you. I'll be here in two days' lol

Chuck
"Life is like a coin, you can spend it anywhere you wish but you may only spend it once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 10:41 AM

Post imported post

honda used to make the dealers carry all the parts and the dealers whined.... the problem is that honda changes everything all the time and has lots and lots of models.... some for a year or two, some form many years (and they still change things) I bet they have hundreds of thousands of defferent parts... oppsss... try to get a critical part on an older wing and it is discontinued!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 10:55 AM

Post imported post

I had to have new brake lines made for my 1100a at San Antonio Brake. They would make them out of any color or material that is used for brake lines. They had all of the materials including banjo fittings in stock except two, unfortunately. They did order them and the lines were ready in two days. They make brake lines for every conceivable vehicle and all are tested to DOT standard pressures. There has to be a shop like this in most major metro areas. dvjac

\'73 450k,\'79 CBX,\'80 GL1100S new,\'83 GL1100A now
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 01:32 PM

Post imported post

hey Chuck, I work in the parts department at a dealership (not Honda) and am very familiar with what you are refering to. However, if you stop for a minute and think, there are quite a few models from each manufacturer, each carrying their own vast supply of parts. We have an aftermarket supplier about 40 miles away as the crow flies and I would venture to guess that they have about 250-300,000 square feet of storeroom. They are just one of the stockhouses for motorcycle parts and don't even carry all the parts in that one stockhouse.That company has3 others stockhouses throughout the US from which they supply. That is just for aftermarket parts, not even OEM. Take into account also that when you order a part and we in turn order from the supplier we have to pay for the part (Net 10) in order to get it. If all we did was stock parts hoping they would sell then we would have a fortune to tie up in parts, hoping that maybe one day they would sell and we would get our money back. Many OEM and aftermarket parts are not picked up after they are special ordered for a customer thereby causing us to require 100% payment in advance so we don't get stuck with a part taking up stock room. As for tires, there is very little mark-up in tires and again many different sizes and brands. I could fill my stockroom with just tires and still not have the right size half the time. If we just figure that part of our orders will be no sales then we have to figure losses into the items we do sell thereby jacking the prices up. I have yet to meet the customer that says "Gee, that's not expensive enough, please charge me more." At least 60% of the customers come in with no idea what the model number is on the bike they are riding. All the electronic microfiches are arranged by model number, not model name. Therefore we have to know almost all models by name & number, try that some time. I love my job, and being able to help people get their machines going again, but there are a lot of customers who act like we are there just to put them out. Try a little patience next time and work with us. Thanks.

A ranting from the other side of the counter.

Mark
1983 GL1100 Interstate
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 01:36 PM

Post imported post

i wholeheartedly agree with you mark but consumeables should be stocked as good practise.........

\"\"THE MAD WELSHMAN in OZ\"\"

\"Lifetime member of the ORIGINAL 6 PACK club\"
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 01:40 PM

Post imported post

we do stock most filters, oil, sparkplugs and high turnover items. In addition, our computer systems tracks all sales and if we see a high turnover of special order items we try to keep them in stock. I can look most parts up in the system and take payments over the phone for special orders, thereby saving at least one trip. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to stocking all items that are deemed consumables. The dealers don't want to be stuck with them if they don't sell and the buyers don't want to wait 1-2 days. What to do?????

Mark
1983 GL1100 Interstate
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Mark, the rant os OK......

This is why I started this as tongue in cheek.

I think that we could all agree that no dealership can keep everything in stock but how many different sizes washers for banjo fittings could there possibly be? I would wager to say that they probably had the disks if I wanted to redo my brakes. Yet if I have a leaking washer, my brakes don't work so good.

Chuck
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 02:03 PM

Model: 1983 GL 1100 I
Send a message via AIM to dan filipi
Post imported post

At this time, at least they CAN order the part.
It wont be much longer before these OEM parts will be gone so we might as well start now by cross referencing this stuff.

I was floored when I needed a speedo and tach cable and the local dealer had both in stock!
Then I needed a head gasket and found it at another dealer, only because the parts guy was willing to take the extra effort to go look instead of trusting the computer.

I guess I'm lucky here in L.A having alot of dealers within 100 miles.

Honda must have a ancient computer system too because they cant check other dealer's stock like Auto Zone can.

1983 GL1100 Interstate with 1200 engine, single carb, and C5 ignition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page