Price of paint job? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Lancer
Post imported post

Hi, Guys - Anybody know the going rate for a paint job - from one color to another - on an '02 Wing in the northeast? Thanks!!

Previous rides: 2 Triumph Bonnevilles (late \'60\'s), \'68 BSA Lightning Rocket, \'80 Yamaha 650 Twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

Lancer wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Guys - Anybody know the going rate for a paint job - from one color to another - on an '02 Wing in the northeast? Thanks!!
No matter how you paint it, you will never get rid of those ugly headlights or make it look as good as a 1500.

Much of the cost of a paint job is getting all the parts off the bike and back on.. that and the cost of the paint itself.

When my bike was painted, the guy who did it said he had over $600 in the cost of the paint alone.

I have heard guys getting quotes for the whole job in the $3500 range.

I would guess around $1500-$2000 if you removed the parts and reassembled for a professional job with clearcoat.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Lancer
Post imported post

Thanks, Rudy. That's a little more than I really wanta spend to make the bike not yellow. 'Preciate your info, though!

Previous rides: 2 Triumph Bonnevilles (late \'60\'s), \'68 BSA Lightning Rocket, \'80 Yamaha 650 Twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 04:06 AM
Old Broad

Year: 1995
Make: Yamaha Virago
Model: 1985 GL1200 I w/LTD body(SOLD :( )
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to fysty-1
Post imported post

While on this subject. Could any one tell me please, how much paint does it take to cover a full bodied wing? I'm refering to one color coatnot all coats (etc Base Clear)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angela, aka fysty-1(R) & Dani(L), S.Surrey, B.C.
1985 Gold Wing GL1200 I(SOLD Apr/2012)
No matter how blue it may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky.
Blue is not the fastest color, but it is the prettiest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(women only)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 04:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2wings
Post imported post

Lancer wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Rudy. That's a little more than I really wanta spend to make the bike not yellow. 'Preciate your info, though!

Yep, that yellow color will surely wake you up in the morning. You could probably sneak into the garage after a night out on the town but that yellow color will be a give-a-way as to where you have been . Its hard to blend into the surrounding except if you are in a bowl of lemons

I have to admit there was one yellow Wing that I thought was sharp. It was chromed out in every area and had every after market accessory. It was really nice, as a matter of fact if it had been red I would have bid on it.

You could add some pin stripes and a nature scenery that might off set the yellow color for a fraction of a total paint job cost.

Keep on Winging

John Young
92 GL 1500
On the hunt for a Red 2005 1800 with all the fixings
49 Wife ....Keeping the Wife, to much invested
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

Personally, I think that the yellow 1800 is the nicest color for that model.
I think it looks great.
It sure is a lot safer than a silver/gray one.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 06:59 PM

Post imported post

Folks,

I was talking to a gentleman just yesterday....and he repainted his older GW for about $100.00. He went to the local parts store...obtained a new type of metalflake paint...drained the paint into a paint sprayer can....and once the parts he wanted to paint were ready to paint, he painted them himself. Then shot them with some clearcoat acrylic laquer....and presto....he had a $2000.00 paint job (he checked at a local body/paint shop to inquire as to what they would charge to do it...they quoted $2000.00 or more to paint another identical bike the same color). One thing I will tell you that you need to watch for...make SURE that you get all the paint with the SAME lot number. It will be somewhere on the can....as to what lot it was when it was made. Different Lots will have very slight color variations.... Also, if you choose to go this route....check with the local body/paint shop...there is a chemical you can add to the clear coat, that makes it VERY VERY hard...I am talking it will be pretty much impervious to ordinary scratches, rock chips, etc. Think its called Emeron. Not sure. Hope this helps

Robert L. Gray Jr. NREMT-P
**** happens, and I am a happenin\' kind of guy!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page