Double the work, But twice the fun!! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Well just got home from a 8 plus hour road trip to purchase a gl1100 for my son. He is getting ready to turn 18 and has been wanting a bike of his own. He wanted a sport bike, but dad said NO he kept on and I finally said if he wanted a sport bike it must be something like a 250. He is 6'3" and about 225. So he knew a 250 would not be worth riding for him. After a few weeks of talking about different bikes I told him if he wanted a larger bike ,I would consider a Goldwing. We found one in eastern Indiana. Pretty nice overall just needs major cleaning and more polishing. He is in the garage as I type this rubbing. Does everyone think I made a good choice? My 1100 is black with vetter fairing and hondaline bags. His is navy and light blue and hondaline everything. It is hard to beleive that they are the same year and model of bike. They don't look anything alike. I am sure I will be posting more questions. But now myself, wife , and son are all riding.

1980 GL1100 Standard/ with Vetter upgrades
2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750 wife (Better Half)
2002 Honda 1800 trike wife (better half)
2003 Honda 1800 everyday bike 95,000+
2014 GL1800 called midnight riding just a little it waiting for me to retire. (soon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2wings
Post imported post

Ah Man! What a great family affair. Everybody is riding. Maybe I can get Mrs. 2wings to try a trike someday.

Keep on Winging

John Young
92 GL 1500
On the hunt for a Red 2005 1800 with all the fixings
49 Wife ....Keeping the Wife, to much invested
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:22 AM

Post imported post

Well, I don't know the rest of the details like miles, condition of paint/chrome/etc. and the price, but I sure like mine. My '81 has Windjammer and Samsonite luggage. I guess for color match, I wish I had the Honda line detachable bags and nothing at all against the Honda line fairing, it is just that I have had so many miles behind a Windjammer, that I personally like them better. I am sure like everyone here, they like what they own, or they wouldn't own it. My '81 is that color called dark metallic black (I think) but it is more of a dark metallic blue to me. I love it.

Fitted this 1981 Standard with Windjammer V and Samsonite bags, when new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Just went out for a short ride with my son. He was all smiles. (Dad was very proud too!) The new bike for my son is running great. As I posted last night he was in the garage polishing it. Well when I woke up this morning the lights in the family room were still on. I looked outside and the garage entry door was open. I went out and my son had not been to bed. He spent the entire night polishing and messing with the bike. I rode it on a short ride before he got on it. I was very impressed, I think his excellerates smoother than mine. Raining now but hope it will clear off this afternoon. I want to break him into the wing a little easy.

Also Dave K I know what you mean about the Vetter. Every full size bike I have ever owned has had a Vetter. I like them to. And by the way mine is that same color of navy or black. I always discribe it to people as a black with a navy metal flake to it.

2014 GL1800 called midnight riding just a little it waiting for me to retire. (soon)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:56 PM

Post imported post

What years are the bikes?

2008 GL1800B (Airbag)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Ah... the years peel back. Iremember when I got my first bike, I would have slept in the garage with it if I could have. 17 years old with a Triumph 650, could life really get better?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Both bikes are 1981's. I took me a couple of months to get mine squared away. I bought mine from the original and he had a few health problems. It had be sitting for 5 or 6 years. Tank corroded and carbs were a mess. My sons is a 2 owner bike the previous owner has had the bike for 13 years. It runs great with not a problem yet. The two bikes a totally different. I had a nieghbor come over yesterday and was looking at the bikes and did not think they were even the same model.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:14 AM

Model: 2007 GL1800
Post imported post

exavid wrote:
Quote:
....I would have slept in the garage with it if I could have. ....
Do you mean we are supposed to out grow that? Darn it. I thought it was still okay to stay up all night working on them.

[b]-2007 GL1800, Audio, Blue
-1981 GL1100 Standard FOR SALE
Hondaline Luggage/Vetter Fairing
-1978 GL1000, Nekid, Black

[color=gray]List your Wings Model and year in your profile !!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 AM

Post imported post

Now you have me curious. Since mine is an '81, what differences have you found? I have noticed with many vehicles, that sometimes the very early ones in a model yearmay have a few carry over parts from the year before and the very late onesmay have a few parts from the up coming year. It is all about meeting production schedules and the makers just do it to drive us who restore crazy!

Yes, I have woke up in the middle of the night and stood in my underwear looking at the toys. That is normal........right?

Fitted this 1981 Standard with Windjammer V and Samsonite bags, when new.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Dave the differences are mainly in looks. I know my bike started as a GL1100 Std. I have talked with the original owner of mine a few times. He boughtit and started dressing it the first day. I don't think it left the dealership until the fairing and luggage were on. My bike has a Vetter WindjamerIV, it has Honda Interstate bags and a custom made trunk called the BOX. Also is loaded with chrome and lights. The original owner said that he spent over $5,000 in assecories when he bought the bike. That was a lot of money in 1981.

My sons bike I don't know as much about yet. It has all Honda parts as far as fairing luggage and trunk. That is where the main difference in looks comes from. I rode his to work today. Kind of a shake down run. His runs as well or maybe a little better than mine. It was windy today winds at 40 plus mph. I think the Hondaline fairing and his windshield are a lot easier in the wind. I did notice that the driver also gets more wind in the face too. I wear glasses and don't like them being blown around. I also posted in another post about tires. Mine has Dunlop 404's. His has a set of 491 Elite 2. I will have a set of them on mine this winter. My bike will groove track just a little. His is straight as an arrow. I have a section of concrete road about 8 miles from home that has been ground. Grind lines are running down the road not across. About 2 miles of it. I realy have to watch my bike. I noticed his on the way home today that it was solid and no movment.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page