Need some assistance please - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

My cousin has a 89 GL1500 SE. He just bought a Wig-Wag brake light modulator for his Wing. He got it from a friend who never put it on his bike. The problem is, it doesn't have the instructions with it, so he doesn't know which wire(s) he needs to hook it to. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, for all your help.

The Miley\'s 2006 Titanium GL1800 Site
Now glowing with 610 LED\'s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:20 PM

Post imported post

Hi Verdayne aka Wingnut.......if you go to www.customdynamics.com you will be able to download the installation instructions from the home page.

Goldwing 1800 CSC Cobra Trike (Illusion Red).
VTX 1300S.
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Sometimes you\'re the windscreen; sometimes the fly!"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the link. Now, can you tell me what color of wire, is the brake light wire on a 89 GL1500, & exactly where it's at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

Depends on where you want to install the device and which lamps you want to wigwag.

The color of the brake light wire is brown/green I believe. Don't you have a manual yet?

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Rudy wrote:
Quote:
Depends on where you want to install the device and which lamps you want to wigwag.

The color of the brake light wire is brown/green I believe. Don't you have a manual yet?
He's wanting to hook it to the trunk lights, I think. I have a manual for my 06 GL1800, but he doesn't have one for his.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Monkey with a Football

Garage
Post imported post

The easiest place I have found to do this is to the two lights in the center of the top box. Mine have the word Goldwing over them.

They can be accessed through the doors inside the top box on the rear wall.

I put my control unit under the top box in it's bottom cover which is held in by 4 screws from the bottom of the top box.

I wired mine in to only go one pattern per brake application rather than continuously.

For that, you use the Orange wire on the wigwag. Continuous uses the red as I recall. It doesn't matter which lamp gets which wig wire but you will need to cut the farther lamp brake wire and splice in a piece so you can get it over to the wigwag unit. I routed mine around the box release levers to avoid any abrasion from them.

What else do you need to know about it?

Rudy

wasn't too much fun”
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 PM
EJ9

Post imported post

Rudy wrote:
Quote:
The easiest place I have found to do this is to the two lights in the center of the top box. Mine have the word Goldwing over them.

They can be accessed through the doors inside the top box on the rear wall.

I put my control unit under the top box in it's bottom cover which is held in by 4 screws from the bottom of the top box.

I wired mine in to only go one pattern per brake application rather than continuously.

For that, you use the Orange wire on the wigwag. Continuous uses the red as I recall. It doesn't matter which lamp gets which wig wire but you will need to cut the farther lamp brake wire and splice in a piece so you can get it over to the wigwag unit. I routed mine around the box release levers to avoid any abrasion from them.

What else do you need to know about it?
Rudy, exactly where did you make your cut in the wire? I want to set mine up as you have, with the top box lights on each side of the "Goldwing"being theonlylights that flashand the bottom/saddlebag lights burn continuously. Trouble is I'm having difficulty locating a good spot to cut the wire so that both of those top lights are affected. Sorry to beat this mule again but I can't seem to find what you've done...

1988 GL 1500 Standard
Patriot Guard Rider #18938

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Monkey with a Football

Garage
Post imported post

No problem.

I'll draw up a diagram and post it in a while for you.

Sorry my plans don't always get applied as I planned.... got diverted.

If your wig wag is like my wig wag, it has 5 wires

INPUTS
Ground (black I think)
Red +12 (option 1 continuous) powered by brake light wires
Orange +12 (option 2 run once and then steady) also powered by brake light wires.
(use one or the other option but no both)

OUTPUTS
One remaining color (one brake light output +12)
Other remaining color (other brake light output +12)
Doesn't matter which goes to which light but one will be the start of the wig.

Brake lights...

Each side has 3 independent wires going to the sockets:
Ground
Running light +12
Brake light +12

Tap into the ground wire without cutting it to attach the wig wag ground wire.

Basically the wig wag is going to interrupt the power going to the Brake light wires on each side and borrow ground and Brake +12 from one of the lamps.

So the hookup is... cut the Brake light +12 wire from EACH SIDE in a location that will let you splice into each side of the cut. For me, that was about 1.5 inches from the lamp socket for each side. The cut end that is from the harness side the feed I call the 'bike side' and the cut end that attaches to the the brake light I call the 'lamp side'.

My wig wag unit is near one of the lamp sockets (doesn't matter which) so I refer to the two sockets as the near socket and the far socket.

The near socket is where I grab Brake +12 for the wig wag from the bike side of the brake wire I just cut for that side.

The near side lamp wire end splices to one of the two wig wag output wires mentioned above.

The far side socket also got the Brake +12 wire cut so I could attach the other output wire from the wig wag to the brake light at the cut wire point.

I ran a wire across the inside of the undercover and around the levers to get that hot wire from the far side to the near side so I could connect it to the remaining output wire on the wig wag. I went under the box because the Goldwing show light is in the way and I didn't want the wire inside the trunk.

The supply wire remaining from the far bike side Brake +12 feed is no longer used because the wig wag got the brake supply from the near side cut wire and the far side is now supplied by the wig wag output and the wire you ran across the box to get to it.

So just terminate the extra Brake +12 wire on the far side supply.

Pack it up and test.

Rudy

wasn't too much fun”
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page