Buy a Harley? Upgrade a new Harley? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

First of allI have toadmit that Harley Davidson just may be one of the greatest American success stories this last century and appear poised for even greater success this next century. I think that can be attributed to the focus that Harley has maintained(exclude the AMF period).

What I'm curious about however is the quantity of people willing to pay for a new bike and then elect to strip much of the stock equipment off and upgrade to whatever their budget allows. Shouldn't one expect that the factory issue would be powerful enough to ride and enjoy as is? And the extras go on and on, there's the clothing, the leather, the chrome. I think it's incredible at what the Harley company is capable of selling once the hook is set.

I've owned four Harleys in my riding career thus far and enjoyed each of them. As I have aged however, I find that I'm not so keen on shaking out my neighborhood on a late night departure and early morning return. The goldwing is a relatively quiet and extremely reliable ride. I'm on my third.

Most of the guys I know riding Harleys haven't a clue as to where to begin regarding mechanical difficulties. I hear lots of mumble about chip, computer, dial in etc.. I'm sure that the new goldwings are probably similar but my 85 gl1200 interstate lets me feel like I am in charge and the king of my domain when riding if I break down the first thing I'll do is reach for my tools and begin to repair, not look for the phone book to get the nearest dealer. How do you feel about this? Am I an idiot or what

If it aint broke, find out why!
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 AM

Post imported post

If you want a Harley buy a Harley. Just leave the stock exhaust alone. I don't understand this business of buying a brand new bike and then having the dealer add several grand worth of shiny stuff and straight pipes on it before it leaves the dealership. I suspect the things run just fine and look great on the floor. Can you just buy one and ride it away like that???

Bob..KF4GP
If it ain\'t broke, fix it till it is!

Life is ten percent what you make it, and ninety percent how you take it!

79 GL1000 46K
86 R80RT
90 K75RT
Garage won\'t hold any more!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 AM

Post imported post

shoe on the other foot, why can't most wing owners leave the safety chrome or bling off their bikes when they buy them, let alone hearing aids in the helmet, xm radio, sat-nav........need i go on here?....

\"\"THE MAD WELSHMAN in OZ\"\"

\"Lifetime member of the ORIGINAL 6 PACK club\"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:43 AM

Post imported post

taffy australia wrote:
Quote:
shoe on the other foot, why can't most wing owners leave the safety chrome or bling off their bikes when they buy them, let alone hearing aids in the helmet, xm radio, sat-nav........need i go on here?....
Spot on, guys...My 1st Wing, a new '77, I was the first on the block to trash the spokes and fit those new-fangled tubeless cast wheels...and bolt on some air forks (just a cap-kit with hoses and a gage), progressives and air shocks. Then I stuffed a AM/FM into that ugly optional Vetter dashboard, and cut holes into the Bates bags for 4-way stereo hi-fi speakers that pooped out when wet...I guess we who ride just need to have something we can call our very own???

I do all my own stunts...
Mike
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

Hey Bob.... We won't have our $29 quality replacement mufflers if they left the stock exhaust alone....... just kidding... a quarter mile behind a Harley with straightpipes is not far enough for me.... Jimaka WA6SEW (no bling.... and25 year old bone stock Interstate)

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 11:19 AM

Post imported post

retiredintime wrote:
Quote:
If you want a Harley buy a Harley. Just leave the stock exhaust alone. I don't understand this business of buying a brand new bike and then having the dealer add several grand worth of shiny stuff and straight pipes on it before it leaves the dealership. I suspect the things run just fine and look great on the floor. Can you just buy one and ride it away like that???
yes you can, and I have for over 22,000 miles

fenderhead.... sounds like what I did to my 78 (except the rear speaker thing, but it had two different sdecars over the years as well
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:30 PM

Post imported post

taffy australia wrote:
Quote:
SCORE ONE FOR TAFFY

The misunderstanding ,misconception , jealousy , stereotyping and hatred toward Harley Davidson from some people on this forum is amazing to me , I truly don’t understand it . I ride with all kind of bikes and never think twice about their habits or changes to their bikes. And besides do you remember this Goldwing ? Take Care - Jim

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...amp;forum_id=4

Bikes I now own.
1910 Harley Davidson
1986 Honda GL1200A
2003 Harley Davidson V-Rod
2005 Harley Davidson Softail
2006 Harley Davidson Roadster
2007 Whizzer NE5 138CC 120 mpg
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 03:24 PM

Post imported post

Well you see...I can honestly say that I have never added an accessorie of any kind to any bike I have ever owned. I run em the way I found em. Well that ain't true either. I have been known to remove a lot of that extra stuff if it was on there...

I don't hate Harleys. I actually wouldn't mind having a stock one....

Bob..KF4GP
If it ain\'t broke, fix it till it is!

Life is ten percent what you make it, and ninety percent how you take it!

79 GL1000 46K
86 R80RT
90 K75RT
Garage won\'t hold any more!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 05:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to angryhorse
Post imported post

I was going to buy a harley until a friend of mine bought a new ultra classic. When he started that thing it looked like a bucking bronco. I like to ride quiet and smooth and also like gadgets and bling so i have made a few upgrades to my 1500. I love this bike its like owning a two wheel Cadillac that will go thousands of miles with only normal maintenance without vibrating the fillings out of my teeth. Each to thier own but i love the wing.

GL 1500
GL 1200
750 Shaddow Aero
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I really don't believe I've seen any hatred for Harley Davidsons on this forum. I've seen partisanship of extolling Goldwings over Harleys. So what? This is after all a Goldwing forum.

I am one of those amused at people who have to have the latest branded clothing whether it be the latest spandex outfit before they can ride their bicycle or all the Harley Davidson shirts, jackets, boots, and probably underwear too. You really don't see all of that with other bike makes.

It doesn't make any difference to me what brand of bike you ride, but I'm not going to call your ride "Jap crap". I'm not going to make a bunch of obnoxious noise to give riders a bad name among non-riders either.

The old "can't we all just get along" stuff needs to work both ways. 'Til then I'll probably smile when I see large groups of bike riders wearing their pirate outfits.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page