Tire mounting - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Model: 1997 se
Post imported post

I looked at a set of Elite III's on the net around $130.00/Front and $160.00/rear, 290.00 no tax or shipping. Locally they're about170.00/Front and 230.00/Rear including tax, 10 bucks each to mount them. Well i'm glad I started checking before I bought the Internet tires.....nobody around here will mount a tire unless they sell it. I even went to the Harley shop and they wouldn't do it. It's like all the dealers and aftermarket shops got together and won't step on each others toes. I did find a guy about an hour away but he charges 50 bucks a tire to mount them, there go the savings. Just telling anyone thinking of buying tires online to check and make sure they have a place to mount them before they make the purchase.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

I'd agree. There is a shop nearby that only does Motorcycle tires and they have two prices for mounting. A very low one if you buy from them and and a much higer one if you bring the tires. Basically it's a wash.

The only way I have seen to beat that is to invest in the HF tire tool and MC adapter and even then, the return on investment is several years and that's IF you consider your time free.

The BEST way to beat the price is to get one of your local MC clubs to buy one machine that every member can use. But I don't see that happening in any of the chapters in MY area.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:18 PM

Post imported post

Thanks for the info Predator

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - - body thoroughly used up, screaming WOOHOO!! what a ride!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:41 PM

Post imported post

I just bought a new Metzler front tire from AMT online for around $135 with shipping. I brought it in to be mounted at my local Harley dealer (they were actually the cheapest) for $30. Put 'er back on the bike today and test rode it. Rides real nice. Will do the same for the rear tire when it wears down.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post imported post

Even if you can change it on your own, is there a way to balance it? Everyone seems to think a tire isn't something to skimp on, but especially for the front, balancing would seem to be a critical step.The problem I was talking about is in my local area and was just mean't as a heads up. I figured a competitor would mount it,thats why I checked HD, but they wouldn't touch it. This whole bike thing is getting ridiculous, I paid 100 bucksapiece for mynew 16" truck tires and they mounted them for free and there's a lot more material in a truck tire. The price they want for these bike tires is nothing but a rip-offand now the dealers are trying to beat the internet.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 09:03 PM

Post imported post

We have a few guys around here that will mount and ballance for 15.00 a tire. If you are in the west burbs of Chicago I cna get you his name. He does it out of his house but has a very very nice set up. He just put a set of Dunlop III on the wing and a set of Diablos on the CBR for me about 3 weeks ago.

The ride 84 1200 aspy
the toy 2003 CBR 954 rr.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Don't know about other areas of the country, but here in Mesa and Phoenix metro.... The mom and pop m/c shops abound all over the place.

Not hard to find one to install tires on your bike.

No need to find a major player like Honda or HD.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I have mounted and balanced a few 'Wing tires. Balancing really isn't hard to do, it's merely a matter of setting the ends of the axle across a couple supports that are reasonably level, spinning the tire (not very fast or you'll wait all afternoon for it to stop), marking the high point and repeating several times. Once you have a group of chalk marks you put a stick on tire weight, I use 1/2oz. and cut them in half for 1/4oz. of needed. Then wipe the chalk or tape marks and spin again. Eventually you'll get the marks spaced pretty much randomly around the tire. That means it's balanced. I've found this method to be accurate down to 1/4oz. and I've had my bike at speed over 100mph with tires balanced this way and found the ride to be very smooth.

On a lot of tires you'll find a dot or paint mark. This usually means it's the lightest spot on the tire. It goes next to the valve stem in the wheel. It's a good idea to change valve stems every second tire on a given wheel.

If you do a search in the box at the top of the page you'll get a lot of information. Also a Google search on the subject will bring up a good bit of stuff for your edification and reading pleasure.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BlackGW
Post imported post

I've change my back tire once, and my front tire twice, with just hand tire tools. It wasn't too bad. Not quick, but definitely cheap and easy. I balanced them basically the same way exavid said, except I put a piece of shafting in the vice & slid the wheel on that to spin it.

Rich Howerton, you're not too far from me. Hope we can meet up sometime.

-Joe-
1983 BLACK GL1100 Interstate
1982 Honda Ascot FT500
1979 Honda PA50
Ye Old Unofficial, Unintentional Topic Killa
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post imported post

I really wasn't looking to pick up another skill, I'll do a search and see what it all entails though. I may end up not having a choice but to start doing it myself. Thanks for the info. Just remember to check what the situation is where you live before you buy. Oh yeah, even the mom and pop shops froze me out unless they sold the tire. I can see their point in someways. They provide a local service and make money from selling the tire and mounting. I'm just cutting into their profits by buying the tires cheaper somewhere else and want them to do a job the internet couldn't provide. The Honda dealer here has about 6 people working there and they have to eat too, so I just ended up buying my tires from them.....keep the money local.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page