New Puerto Rico law - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 05:13 PM

Post imported post

The way they drive down there they need it.

Actually over the last few years they have been cracking down on all drivers. Not near as much speeding, red light running and passing in the emergancy lane as years past.

The way those teens on thier pimped out scotters down there drive I'm not surprised this happened.

By the way, there's more motorcycle cops down there than I ever seen in the states, and they're always easy to find since allof themkeep there lighisflashing while on duty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 05:44 PM

Post imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Quote:
Wouldn't make any difference to me. I always wear all that stuff every time I ride anyway.
Choice. That's what it's all about.

Imagine they pass a law outlawing motorcycles, and the majority say, "Wouldn't make any difference to me. I never ride one anyway."

Nuff said.

The sign on the mirror said, "Employees MUST Wash Hands Before Leaving Restroom". I waited and waited, but no one came in, so I washed them my damn self. Guess I\'m just a rebel like that.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:41 PM

Post imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Quote:
I want to preface what I'm about to say with this. The longer I live andhave to deal with the government, the less I want them making decisions for me. Although I personally believe that wearing your gear all the time while riding is the wise thing, I believe that it should be personal choice.

That being said, I want to address the "wearing gear in the heat" issue that gets brought up so often. With todays mesh riding gear, including gloves that have great air flow, and the availability of cooling vests and even coolingpants, there is no reason not to wear your gear in the heat. With the right gear, you will actually be cooler than riding without the gear.

John
This year at the Americade Rally in Lake George, NY, I bought a Tourmaster mesh jacket that works great in hot weather. I know it's much hotter and more humid in some of the Southern states, but I think this type of jacket would be a workable solution to the problem of wearing protective gear without being boiled alive in it. You have to keep moving, though. The mesh doesn't do much when you're stopped. I found it to be much more comfortable than my old, heavy, leather jacket, however.

Larry G.

1985 GL1200 Interstate
Previous bikes:
1971 Suzuki Hustler 250
1973 Yamaha RD 350
1982 Yamaha Seca 650
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 02:16 PM

Post imported post

Great looking hound, I've got one that looks just like him. His name is Rueben.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I am using a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and pants. I have found that I feel cooler with them on when the temps are over 100* F here.

When it gets to 110* I wet my tee shirt before putting the jacket on. Works great as a/c for about 15 miles. Then all you need is a spritzer bottle to freshen up your a/c

I've found that the sun feels much hotter on your bare skin than with the jacket on.

Our humidity here is usually below 5% though, can't say how i would feel about it at 95%.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Model: '02 1800
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruaidh
Post imported post

minorj wrote:
Quote:
Great looking hound, I've got one that looks just like him. His name is Rueben.
My buddy's name is Javert. He's almost 14 years old and owns my heart.

To know what is right and not act accordingly is the worst cowardice. - Confucius

Words, unwritten, have no value. - Caius Merlinus Brittanicus

Yellow '02 1800
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 05:55 AM

Year: 2008
Make: Goldwing
Model: 2008 90,000 Miles
Post imported post

Hi all, I am new to this forum and am currently driving a 06 Concours and am looking at Goldwings. In fact I owned, for many years, a 1980 Interstate, which I sold to a person I work with and he still rides it. I have been riding bikes since June of 64 and have been going to Puerto Rico for 23 years, each time for a month during the winter.
First let me say that PR is a wonderful place to go on vacation. Depending on the time you go the weather is usually warm or hot and sunny. There are many beaches to lie in the sand like a big marine iguana if that is what you want to do. Night life is unlimited with clubs, bars, discos, watering holes and various places to quench your appetite for suds and spirits but that is not our lifestyle. ( wife and I) There are more places to buy alcohol in PR than any place I have ever been, seven days a week, 24 hours a day. You can go into the local bakery at 2 in the morning, order a sandwich and a shot or whatever your preference. Even the drugstores have beer coolers.
It seems that on any week during the year there is a protest, march, gathering , rally somewhere on the island in favor of, or against, a certain issue whatever it may be. The politicians in PR want to please everyone, all the time and so new rules and regulation are passed without the careful study and investigation required to make these new laws make any sense or even enforceable.
There are a lot of motorcycles in PR. The weather is great for bike riding. Many bikers do in fact speed, pop wheelies, weave in and out of traffic, and race on the streets. That fact alone should be an awakening that this new law was in part brought on by themselves.
Now in fact it is very easy to see if a cycle driver has the protective gear or clothing on while driving that the new law requires. My many years of part time living on the island has shown me that there is a great deal of selective enforcement. On any issue. So we will be going back for the month of March and I will keep you informed of what I observe. Lew Wilkie
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Model: '02 1800
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruaidh
Post imported post

Thanks, Lew. My original intentions were not meant to be inflammatory; I was merely posting an article of interest. I have a friend from PR who still has family there and visits frequently. She too, has stories of the different tourist and political atmospheres that pervade there. Please, let us know what you see after your next visit.

Ruaidh

(And welcome to the site!)

To know what is right and not act accordingly is the worst cowardice. - Confucius

Words, unwritten, have no value. - Caius Merlinus Brittanicus

Yellow '02 1800
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 12:52 PM

Post imported post

If I have to wear all that stuff in the summer here, then I also have to have three "5 finger martini's" before I try and ride in it to dull the pain. I'll stick to not wearing it in summer and having the martini's after the days ride. Well---------------------------maybe.

Cyote61

03 Valkyrie
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page