post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Model: '02 1800
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruaidh
Post imported post

Puerto Rico Passes Strict Motorcycle Law
October 10, 2007

By REBECCA BANUCHI

Associated Press Writer

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Tropical Puerto Rico will require motorcycle drivers to wear protective jackets, gloves, long pants and boots as part of a strict safety law signed by the governor of the U.S. commonwealth on Wednesday.

Augmenting an existing helmet law, the new law also sharply lowers the maximum allowable blood-alcohol level for motorcycle and scooter enthusiasts below levels tolerated for automobile drivers.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/w-sa/2007/oct/10/101003277.html

To know what is right and not act accordingly is the worst cowardice. - Confucius

Words, unwritten, have no value. - Caius Merlinus Brittanicus

Yellow '02 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
Post imported post

I'm glad I'm not planning on riding in PR any time soon.

Gene

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 12:24 PM

Post imported post

I just posted that.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/33407.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Read my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Another reason for me to stay out of Puerto Rico.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 01:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to vistacruizer
Post imported post

drinking and riding/driving should not be tollereted no matter where you go.

they say loud pipes save lives.
i say loud pipes make you deaf!

1977 GL1000
1974 Honda XL250
1981 Honda CX500 (silver wing)
past rides
1974 Honda CB 454
1983 Honda CR 250
1979 Suzuki GS 1000
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 07:01 PM

Post imported post

Wouldn't make any difference to me. I always wear all that stuff every time I ride anyway.

Read my
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
Post imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Quote:
Wouldn't make any difference to me. I always wear all that stuff every time I ride anyway.
And I think it is great that you do, however, down in the south, once it gets to 95+ degrees and 80+% humidity, a lot of us find that all that heavy gear could cause an accident due to the rider passing out due to heat exhaustion. I always wear a helmet and steel toed boots, and most of the times gloves, but a lot of times, I'm in a short sleeved shirt and jeans, and that is just personal choice. I always wear my safety vest on the military base along with a long sleeve shirt. I've been to PR, that humidity would kill me with all that gear on after about 10 minutes. I could had probably handled it when I was in my 20s, but not now. Now does that make me stupid? Some might think so, however, I'm willing to take the risk, because I know my limits, I know my bike, and I feel the idea about riding is to be free, not so overly protected that I cannot enjoy the ride without looking like the Michelin Man. It is a risk I'm willing to accept, and plus, I have great medical and funneral benifits.

Gene

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:40 AM

Post imported post

Well Gene, you gave a very thought provoking argument there, and one that should help us all realize thatyou needto walk a mile in other's shoesbefore passingjudgement.

There IS a fine line between caution and reason.

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Model: '02 1800
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruaidh
Post imported post

GSMacLean wrote: When I posted this article, afterGSMacLean did, my intent wasn't to start a flame-war or argument over who wears what or what we should or shouldn't wear. I was merely posting a information piece to allow anybody who read it to make their own opinion and to be a little more informed.

As Rodent and I talked over dinner last night, I mentioned that there are other such laws and reminded her of the email that has gone around about how we survived metal dashboards and no seat belts, standing up in the front seat of the car, drinking out of the garden hose, etc. It seems that when there is a surge of injuries associated with an activity, it gets legislated. It's a wonder that with all the falls that happen around the house and home, that someone hasn't set forth an effort to require that we all wear helmets as we get out of bed.

Not that I am against wearing these items; whether I do or not is my own choice.However, I think that too few people believe they ought to manage too many people's decisions for them.

To know what is right and not act accordingly is the worst cowardice. - Confucius

Words, unwritten, have no value. - Caius Merlinus Brittanicus

Yellow '02 1800
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

I want to preface what I'm about to say with this. The longer I live andhave to deal with the government, the less I want them making decisions for me. Although I personally believe that wearing your gear all the time while riding is the wise thing, I believe that it should be personal choice.

That being said, I want to address the "wearing gear in the heat" issue that gets brought up so often. With todays mesh riding gear, including gloves that have great air flow, and the availability of cooling vests and even coolingpants, there is no reason not to wear your gear in the heat. With the right gear, you will actually be cooler than riding without the gear.

John

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page