camping - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I am going to do some camping this summer and need a tent. Do I need a three season or four season tent? One person or two? Maybe wall mart will be ok?

Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:08 AM

Post imported post

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...ighlight=tents

You might read this previous post about tents...

Bob..KF4GP
If it ain\'t broke, fix it till it is!

Life is ten percent what you make it, and ninety percent how you take it!

79 GL1000 46K
86 R80RT
90 K75RT
Garage won\'t hold any more!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

A three season tent will do just fine, unless you plan on camping on some exposed mountainous peaks.

You'd want at least a 2 man(barely adequate for 1 person), preferably a 3 man(little more 'elbow' space and height but bulkier), or if you are hauling a trailer,(or going solo and don't mind packing it on the passenger seat ortour box rack)a four man or larger for the ultimate in space/height.

Something with a fuller coverage rain flysheet will protect you more than one with a small 'umbrella' type of rainfly sheet.

To make it truly water repellent, expect to spend some time sealing the stitching on the fly sheet(unless taped) and the floor seams. I highly recommend using McNett Seam Grip to seal the seams. http://www.rei.com/product/603034

After applying, let dry for at least 5-8 hours and then 'dust' the seams with a light dusting of Talc/baby powder to prevent it from sticking to itself, or other parts of the tent.

Make sure it has some sort of ventilation, such as windows/doors with mesh. 2 doors are better than one, especially for 'cross ventilation'

As to where/what brand to buy, it depends on how much camping you plan on doing. Wally World would probably do fine for a couple weekends a year, or if you plan for lots of camping, in some serious conditions for a few years, look for a more reputable outdoors retailer, such as REI, EMS or if you have a local outdoor shop in your town, ask them for their thoughts/advice.

Most importantly, if you are 6' or taller, make sure you fit inthe tent when you are laying down in, without your feet/head touching any of the wall ends.

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

On a cross-country tour last summer to meet my brother in Illinois, we got caught in a summer thunderstorm just across the Mississippi somewhere in Wisconsin......

Man, talk about a deluge, it beat anything I've ever seen, including the Monsoon in Vietnam. The rain was pounding down and beating up from the pavement in sheets, making motorcycling not only unsafe, but unthinkable.

In a momentary lull, the rain let up just enough for us to see the KOA sign along the freeway. I turned off hoping that the Kampground might have a cabin...... they did, but they were all rented.

In a flash, we erected our 4-Person Eureka Timberline, threw some gear inside, and dashed for the Kampground Office, where we drank some coffee and watched the storm resume in all it's mind-boggling glory through the office windows......

"Is our stuff gonna get wet, " asked my unflappable mate, the Mighty Red.

"No doubt about it," I told her. "Look at the lakes forming out there!"

I wasn't particularly worried, figuring we could dry out our sleeping bags in the laundry driers.

When it finally did stop raining for a bit, we removed our boots and sloshed our way to our tent. I unzipped the door and peered inside. Unbelievable. Not a speck of moisture, not a drop of water anywhere! We ate some emergency food and snuggled up that night in our warm, dry sleeping bags listening to the rain drum down on our $150 tent. In the morning, we awoke to sunny skies and a campground steaming under the rays....... In retrospect, it was a great night!

Eureka Timberline 4-Person, $150, Campmor..............unbeatable value!

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:12 AM

Year: 1982
Make: Goldwing
Model: Interstate
Post imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Quote:
On a cross-country tour last summer to meet my brother in Illinois, we got caught in a summer thunderstorm just across the Mississippi somewhere in Wisconsin......

Man, talk about a deluge, it beat anything I've ever seen, including the Monsoon in Vietnam. The rain was pounding down and beating up from the pavement in sheets, making motorcycling not only unsafe, but unthinkable.

In a momentary lull, the rain let up just enough for us to see the KOA sign along the freeway. I turned off hoping that the Kampground might have a cabin...... they did, but they were all rented.

In a flash, we erected our 4-Person Eureka Timberline, threw some gear inside, and dashed for the Kampground Office, where we drank some coffee and watched the storm resume in all it's mind-boggling glory through the office windows......

"Is our stuff gonna get wet, " asked my unflappable mate, the Mighty Red.

"No doubt about it," I told her. "Look at the lakes forming out there!"

I wasn't particularly worried, figuring we could dry out our sleeping bags in the laundry driers.

When it finally did stop raining for a bit, we removed our boots and sloshed our way to our tent. I unzipped the door and peered inside. Unbelievable. Not a speck of moisture, not a drop of water anywhere! We ate some emergency food and snuggled up that night in our warm, dry sleeping bags listening to the rain drum down on our $150 tent. In the morning, we awoke to sunny skies and a campground steaming under the rays....... In retrospect, it was a great night!

Eureka Timberline 4-Person, $150, Campmor..............unbeatable value!
I second that...I have a Eureka Timberlinetent that I bought in the mid 70's and I've used it alot! I have never had anything happen to it and it is as tight a tent as the day I bought it...mine is a two man tent but the 4 man and 2 man arethe same, one's just bigger. I Also have a Mountain Hardwear Muir trail 4 season tent that I use when I winter hike andcamp but the Eureka can't be beat for simplicity and ruggedness. Infact the 2 man tent is $99 at Campmor, the same price I paid for it in 1976...I don't know how they do it.

"Give me some wings I can glide upon" - Gordon Lightfoot

Bikes from previous lives...
1976 CJ360-T
1978 CX500
In Process...
1982 CX500 Custom

"Live Free or Die: Death is not the worst of evils" -General John Stark-

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

We chose the 4-person because it fits into the top box of our 1500, both tent and poles, along with our two Wiggy sleeping bags mated together and stuffed loosely in a separate bag......... all together our top box junk is still under the 20lb recommended limit.

The Four-Person will also allow you to sit inside, on camp chairs, to play cards or read or wrestle around when the weather is totally unreasonable...... I can even stand up enough to put on my pants! And all of our gear -- helmets, stove, whatever, will fit inside out of the wet. I believe in getting the biggest tent you can carry!

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 AM

Post imported post

If you want a tent that is easy to erect... maybe something like this could do it for you

www.khyam.co.uk

Forget about the nick.... it\'s Erik.
Prior: \'77 CB 550F, \'86 1200SEI, \'89 1500A
Current: \'95 Canadian 1500SE Two Tone Red with \'04 CampMaster camptrailer (CM2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

The 2 and 4 man Eureka Timberline series of tents have been usedfor years by Cubs and Scouts. Easy to erect, durable, fairly compact for packing, spaciousand cheap. Can't beat that for a tent!

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Here's a couple of four person Eurekas on the North Shore of Lake Superior:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg north shore.jpg (28.1 KB, 130 views)

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Lost on this *****

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: 1997 Aspy
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Winger77
Post imported post

I'm so glad I caught this thread before buying. I've been looking to take a trip out west (Colorado) hopefully this summer. I truely value all the suggestions on this great forum. Testimonials on products here, IMO, are completely "honest". Not just hand picked by the company/seller, just to tell you what they want you to hear.

Cousin Jack, I see from other threads you do a lot of travel on the bike. It would be interesting to seesome pics of your bike when it is all packed with your gear.

Anyone else for that matter, that might have pics. I don't have a trailer and really don'thave a need for one.

The things I liked,,,,I\'ve tried em twice!
You have to be a little Crazy,,,,,, or else you\'ll go Insane.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page