My First Complaint about the 1800...Bars Shaking at 40- Mph - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

As ya'll are aware I totally like my wing. The only complaint i have is that when you let go of the bars(grabing something or adjusting something) the bars shake tremendously, under 40mph. After 40 you can let go all day but for some reason they shake under 40. Anybody know why?

Goldwing\'s are like riding a sportbike with tunes, storage and in total confort. Can\'t beat that with a stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

Actually there has been much discussion about this, up to and including mention of a lawsuit. There are opinions that either the wheel bearings or steering head bearings adjustment or replacement can fix the problem, but nothing totally definitive. Just do a search on front wheel wobble and you should bring up some discussions on it.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
Post imported post

The front wheel wobble has been around since the first Goldwings. There are all kinds of different theories as to why most GWs shake from 30-45 mph, some can be cured by head bearing adjustment, some by different tires, some by fork braces, but one thing for certain, as long as you keep your hand on at least one handlebar, it doesn't shake, so I don't take my hands off totally until I'm doing over 50 mph.

Gene

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks. I will do some lookin' around. I wonder if a ohlin damper would help? That would seem easier than messing with the wheel bearings and steering head.

Goldwing\'s are like riding a sportbike with tunes, storage and in total confort. Can\'t beat that with a stick.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

I will say that on my 1200, I don't have a wobble for the first 5K-6K miles on new tires, then it starts showing up.

John

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Year: 1975, 2015
Make: Honda
Model: GL1000, GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

gixxerbill wrote:
Quote:
As ya'll are aware I totally like my wing. The only complaint i have is that when you let go of the bars(grabing something or adjusting something) the bars shake tremendously, under 40mph. After 40 you can let go all day but for some reason they shake under 40. Anybody know why?
Yep, because there is something wrong with it.

If its new, take back to the dealer and play merry hell and demand satisfaction. If its not new, check out the threads on here as suggested.

Paul
2015 GL1800 40th Anniversary Ladybug.
1975 GL1000K0
1992 ST1100M

Confusion will be my Epitaph....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:30 PM

Location: Edgefield -Capitol of the South-, South Carolina, USA
Post imported post

My 1100 had that shake, but my 1500 shows no signs of it at all.

Sean, the Resident Redneck
1997 GL1500 Aspencade Limited Edition
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
Freemasonry--2B1ASK1
"Fear the government that fears YOUR guns."

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:11 PM

Post imported post

Must have been all those wheelies you were doing Be cool.....just messing with you a bit! I have my own idea about front end wobble with bikes. The wing is not the only one that does this.....lots of various bikes develop this. My new Wing is steady and true.....the factory dunlops do like to do the cakewalk on grooved pavement.....but back to the wobble. Tires can and do cause this......that is one for sure cause.
Bearings? okay.......put in tapered or better bearings and tighten them down......tension does control the wobble but does not get to the root of the problem.

I have always felt......and experience on several bikes.......some kind of out of alignment situation where the rear is not in alignment with the front....one works against the other.......and is quite noticeable at low speeds.......as speeds increase and the gyro effect gets going good.......it just goes away........

Know how to stretch a string around the front tire and pull it taunt with the rear? If not you can do a search for this and it will show up for you........this situation used to be very common on the bikes I grew up riding(Harleys.......shhhhhhhh!!!) sometimes it would be bad...sometimes not so bad.....depends on how well you got the rear tire lined up after a tire change or adjustment of chain or belt. But would cause the front to wobble at low speeds...........and again at extreme high speed........that is called a tank slapper........not a fun deal!!

Check your front to rear alignment.......if a new tire does not work......Just my penny's worth ........have not had a wing long......but had lots of bikes........I suppose on the wing if found to be out of line......shims.......or spacers.....would work. Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks Kit I will try those suggestions. And I have been trying to keep the wheel down.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
Post imported post

There was also some discussion about it in this month's Wing World magazine, pretty much what the GWRRA guru had to say about it was it thoughtto do with the rake and length and weight of the bike had something to do with it. Like I said before, there are many different theories, and a lot of different cures or fixes.

Gene

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page