Group Rides - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Question for you that ride or lead a loosely formed group of folks, i.e. friends or co-workers.

I lead a band of merry folks, generally4 to 8 bikes. A few of them and often those riding second and third have trouble keeping up with the pace. This is often because they are looking around and not paying attention to the road or group. I try to ride at least the speed limit or a couple miles over it to keep people from running over us from the rear.

Does anyone have a diplomatic way to bring attention to the problems we are experiencing with out stepping on toes. One of the couples is in my Sunday school class and I work with another one of them.

Any help will be appreciated.

1998 GL1500SE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:03 PM

Model: GL1500
Post imported post

I thought Ricky and I did a dang good job keeping up with you when we went to Phenix City:P:P:P

:chee ky1: Well I did any way!

Served 823rd RED HORSE Unit \'83-\'88 USAF
\'Semper Ducimus\'
Red Knights Alabama Chapter 2
"Loyal to our Duty"
PGR Alabama Div.

1983 CX500 Custom
1981 GL1100 Standard
1982 GL1100 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 LTD

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:18 PM

Post imported post

Why not just open up a discussion about safety and how this problem and many others can create safety issues?

\'85 1200 GL LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 PM

Post imported post

Hey Bashful........There is a fellow wanting to go to the Rally.......he wants to camp, I told him not to worry there was plenty of room at your room

Group riding does take a special kind of attention and skill. Most of us who have rode in a group a lot I suppose we just adjust......and do not seem to get out of place.

I would simply have a simple well meaning heart to heart talk with them. When you are leading a group the main concern is among all the other things you have to think about is the safety of everyone involved. So I think just a simple honest talk is the way to go.

It is a problem sometimes when folks are inexperienced or just inattentive. You want them to stay closed up somewhat.....so you can move through traffic and lights without a lot of separation and catchup.

I generally never exceed the speed limit....even with a small group, those in the back do at times have to exceed the speed limit to stay up with the group.

If at a 4 way stop.....two at a time is all that can really go......I just find a good spot up ahead and pull over and wait........we all work together on that......and merge back into the group......as at a stoplight......if half the group passes ....the light changes.....I pull over.....wait for them.

Everyone knows the route......that way if some idiot in a car splits the group in heavy traffic.....I try to watch for that too and slow down.......but if they do get separated....they can gradually catch up....no need for heroics and risky passing and high speeds.

I take a break about every hour and a half.....simply keeps everyone more alert.....get a cold drink....all that kind of thing.

Seems no matter what the speed limit.......or even if you go over the speed limit....those idiot in the cars always want to run 80 mph. It is a real pain in the butt on those scenic two lane roads....which is why we ride to begin with......again...watching for gravel or sand or hazards.......I find a place and pull over.

Not all riders have a CB.......but do find that the most valuable tool in a group ride.

Well let me shut up.......just talk to them.....honestly.......If I am acting like an dummy, I would want someone to come talk to me......I will not get mad or act stupid.....I want the group to be safe......so I would want someone to say now look stupid....but do not call them stupid.....okay for me........not for them.......... Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 PM

Post imported post

I generally don't ride with a group, (only because there is no one to ride with) the one time that I tried, I too, had a hard time judging my pace. It does take practice and not just attentiveness so I would suggest talking to your less experienced members. They may not realize how they affect the riders behind them.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott

Traveling fork rebuilding and motorcycle delivery available.

Fork seal tutorial

86 GL1200 Aspencade
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

The way I see it, "ride your own ride". Have plans on the next stop, and let people do what they want. You are out there to enjoy, so do it!

Besides, a rider with lesser skills shouldnt try to keep up with someone else...

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 12:19 AM

Post imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Quote:
Hey Bashful........There is a fellow wanting to go to the Rally.......he wants to camp, I told him not to worry there was plenty of room at your room

Group riding does take a special kind of attention and skill. Most of us who have rode in a group a lot I suppose we just adjust......and do not seem to get out of place.

I would simply have a simple well meaning heart to heart talk with them. When you are leading a group the main concern is among all the other things you have to think about is the safety of everyone involved. So I think just a simple honest talk is the way to go.

It is a problem sometimes when folks are inexperienced or just inattentive. You want them to stay closed up somewhat.....so you can move through traffic and lights without a lot of separation and catchup.

I generally never exceed the speed limit....even with a small group, those in the back do at times have to exceed the speed limit to stay up with the group.

If at a 4 way stop.....two at a time is all that can really go......I just find a good spot up ahead and pull over and wait........we all work together on that......and merge back into the group......as at a stoplight......if half the group passes ....the light changes.....I pull over.....wait for them.

Everyone knows the route......that way if some idiot in a car splits the group in heavy traffic.....I try to watch for that too and slow down.......but if they do get separated....they can gradually catch up....no need for heroics and risky passing and high speeds.

I take a break about every hour and a half.....simply keeps everyone more alert.....get a cold drink....all that kind of thing.

Seems no matter what the speed limit.......or even if you go over the speed limit....those idiot in the cars always want to run 80 mph. It is a real pain in the butt on those scenic two lane roads....which is why we ride to begin with......again...watching for gravel or sand or hazards.......I find a place and pull over.

Not all riders have a CB.......but do find that the most valuable tool in a group ride.

Well let me shut up.......just talk to them.....honestly.......If I am acting like an dummy, I would want someone to come talk to me......I will not get mad or act stupid.....I want the group to be safe......so I would want someone to say now look stupid....but do not call them stupid.....okay for me........not for them.......... Kit

Sounds like good advice Kit

Tim

Living the American Dream ...Cruising on the BLACK Batmobile...
MSF Rider Coach

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 02:30 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

The best way I have found is ..at the start of the ride, group everybody together and tell them if a rider in front is causing a gap in the group by going too slow then PASS him ..I take out many many groups ,sometimes up to 50 bikes at a time and as Silverfox and motorcyclepete can tell you ,I take no prisoners when it come to people disrupting the group ,I know they do not do it intensionally ,but it can be frustrating for the lead rider and for the people behind ,So JUST PASS and they will soon learn to keep up with the group or do their own thing ,,They can cause an accident ,Ciaran

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
yes it is Gaelic

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:38 AM

Post imported post

In our group the rule is: forget about the one in front of you... keep your eye on the one behind you. Always keep that one in your mirror.

Forget about the nick.... it\'s Erik.
Prior: \'77 CB 550F, \'86 1200SEI, \'89 1500A
Current: \'95 Canadian 1500SE Two Tone Red with \'04 CampMaster camptrailer (CM2)

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:51 AM

Post imported post

Yep.......pass them.......two weekends ago we had a ride with 37 riders. This one fellow about a third of the way back on a trike.....would poke along......soon there would be three or four cars riding in the group........I got so aggravated at him. Finally did pass him.......saw the others take my cue and do the same. I think it was all those badges and GWRRA pins weighing him down.....come on fellows I am just acting up....I think those 50 pound vests are kinda cute on the girls.........Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page