My west coast trip - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Well, Imade itback home Thursday night. I had a great time! The ride was from Durango, CO up the Coastto The Columbia River and back.

The route was pretty much as planned:

DAY 1: Durango thru Monument Valley, Grand Canyon to Flagstaff.

DAY 2: Flagstaff up old rt.66 over hoover dam to Death Valley (camped at 196ft. below sea level)

DAY 3: Death Valley up the east side of the sierra's to Carson city.

DAY 4: Around Lake Tahoe then a scenic ride to Auburn, CA.

DAY 5: To the Pacific coast at Manchester, CA. Camped in the dunes.

DAY 6: Hwy 1 then 101 (with a side road thrown in) . Camped in Trinidad, CA

DAY 7: The Redwoods (avenue of the giants) up the Oregon coast to Waldport, OR.

DAY 8: More coast riding to Astoria, Oregon.

DAY 9: Rode to McMinnville, OR and saw the Spruce Goose (cool!). Rode over the Columbia River Bridge (our goal).

DAY 10: Columbia River east to the Hells Canyon area. Camped in Wallowa, OR.

DAY 11: Joseph road still snowed in, rode "the rattlesnake" to Lewiston, ID then followed the Salmon river south. Spent the night in Mountain home, ID.

DAY 12: COLD and wind. South to hwy. 50 (the lonliest road in america), then west into Utah. Snow. 594 miles that day.

DAY 13: Went to Arches Nat. Park then the Million Dollar Hwy. (more snow)home.

Some Stats:

Miles ridden: 4365 total, longest day 594, shortest day270, Avg.per day335.

Fuel Costs: $466.34

Elevations: highest 11,018 above (red mt. pass) - lowest 196 below (death valley).

The coldest parts of the trip were the Nevada desert and the hottest was the Redwoods, who would of thunk it?

I really enjoyed riding roads 120 and 49 in Calif. and 3-129 in Oregon-Wash. and really recommend those to anyone planning a trip. I also needto take my girl up to the Nez Pierce area, that was absolutely beautiful and she would love it!

The bikes all did fine (2 Harleys and my Valkyrie), although those HD's were SLOW! No breakdowns, All 3 (carbed)ran well in the mountains but were perfect below sea level. The faster I went, the smoother the Valk was.

I got it up to 135 mph. at one point and it still had more left.

The only incidents to report were my digital camera quit working 2 days out so I had to shoot the trip with my 35mm. (12 rolls of film were used and now being developed). Also, while strapping my jacket on my bike in Waldport I had a Bungee cord snap up and take a hunk of skin off of the bridge of my nose. It could have been a lot worse than it was (I hate those things!).

All in all, I made some excellent memories with friends and had a great time but it's still nice to spend the night in my own bed.

I have been trying to get my woman to wash my bike and pack me some clean clothes so I can go again. She's not going for it (but I'm going to keep working on her).

I'll post some pics when I get them back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Welcome back!

Sounds like you had a great adventure!

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 05:29 PM

Post imported post

Norton: Sounds like you had a great ride. Next Thursday, I'll be leaving the Bay Area in Ca and heading eventually to your neck of the woods in Colorado. Hope my trip goes as well as yours.

Bob
It\'s not the destination in life that matters.
It\'s the journey and the friends that you make along the way.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm". ~George Orwell

Member:
GWRRA
Patriot Guard Rider
Warrior\'s Watch Rider
Saddle Sore 1000 Certified
2009 Run For The Wall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Lost on this *****

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: 1997 Aspy
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Winger77
Post imported post

Glad your trip went well. I really enjoy reading about the trips that folks take. The info on your fuel cost and milage is very helpful. And to hear that the bikes do well in the higher elavations.

I will be leaving for your town June 14 and hope to be on the Million Dollar Highway on the 18th.

Just how much snow was there, when you went through????????

The things I liked,,,,I\'ve tried em twice!
You have to be a little Crazy,,,,,, or else you\'ll go Insane.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Quote:
Glad your trip went well. I really enjoy reading about the trips that folks take. The info on your fuel cost and milage is very helpful. And to hear that the bikes do well in the higher elavations.

I will be leaving for your town June 14 and hope to be on the Million Dollar Highway on the 18th.

Silverton got a foot of snow last night. It will be gone by the time you get here.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 09:25 AM

Post imported post

Sounds like a great trip! My brother-in-law is coming in from Colorado Springs in July and we are riding for a few days. He has never ridden the Dragon so we will start there and go North. Some great riding in the hills of Tenn, N.C., and Ga.

Bernie

GL1500 Valkyrie
Work for tomorrow, live for today.
Live life like you mean it!
American Legion Member
Patriot Guard Rider Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Lost on this *****

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: 1997 Aspy
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Winger77
Post imported post

norton wrote:
Quote:
Winger77 wrote:
Quote:

Silverton got a foot of snow last night. It will be gone by the time you get here.
Thanks Norton,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll be going from Durango to Montrose then out to Salida,,,,,,,from there, North to Steam Boat Springs and on up toward Yellow Stone.

Any chance of running into winter type weather in those mountains??? It's my first time out there and not completely sure what to expect

The things I liked,,,,I\'ve tried em twice!
You have to be a little Crazy,,,,,, or else you\'ll go Insane.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Winger 77,

There's always a chance for crazy weather, it's the Rockies! However, I think you wont have any problems with snow, It will be done by then, but rain? who can say? The only thing I can guarantee is that it really cools off when the sun goes down, butI'm sure you won't wantto ride thru the pretty parts (the mountains) in the dark anyway.

It sounds like you have picked a pretty good route. I would suggest that you take the time to visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. It is on your way rightbetween Montrose and Gunnison, It's worth the stop - Really!

Also, check out the Million DollarCowboy Bar in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, It's pretty touristy but really neat too.

Another Must Do is the scenic loop to Jenny Lake in the Grand Tetons.It is aone way roadand you will backtrack about 20 miles but totally worth it! You will really be missing out if you bypassthis stop. In my opinion it is the most picturesque scenery on your trip. Just google it and see for yourself.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page