1800 navigation (GPS) system - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hello group,

What a great place to seek guidance when looking to buy a new Goldwing. I am a newbie here. I currently ride a 2004 Shadow Spirit 1100, and am thinking of purchasing a new Goldwing with the navigation system. I am 59 years old, never owned a Goldwing and figure it is either now or never...

I have not seen the GPS operate on the Goldwing. I have a Garmin Nuvi GPS, a portable unit that my wife and I use in the car. Do any of you have experience with the new navigation system on the Goldwing, and if so, how might it compare with the Garmin or Magellan models that are often used in cars ? How user friendly is the design for motorcycle riding ?

Thanks in advance, I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and guidance.
Dave in Virginia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 05:19 AM

Post imported post

An honest question gets an honest answer!! I love the 1800 try to sell someone on one every day. It is a great toy!!

The GPS is not so hot though........do a search on the site and you will find pages of talk about it. It is okay......it will get you through......and looking at it from an engineers standpoint....fully adequate for most applications.

You do get stuck with having to purchase it if you want all the bells and whistles. It is a part of some of the package deals.......you cannot just pick out I want ABS brakes or I want the NAV.......it is somewhat of a package deal.

As for cost.....they are about the same........depending on where you might buy the Zumo 550 which is at the moment one of the better units for a bike......it can run as high as a grand or better......I purchased the one I have from Amazon.com and it I am sure was a reconditioned one....but I got it and the mount and all the goodies for 500 bucks.

I am still limping along with my factory GPS on the bike.....I am however more old school.....for a long time I simply considered all this stuff a safety issue.....then found out it is actually a great safety feature......if used properly these things talk to you.....and save that erratic hesitation when you are looking for someplace that might cause you to have an accident.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:39 PM

Model: GL1800 2015 Red
Post imported post

I have taken a great interest in the navi system and have spent a lot of time getting to understand it and use it.

It is certainly adequate for the job, we've used it from Manitoba to the west coast and it worked well for us.

You still need a paper map for planning.

It also lacks a lot of features, mostly info such as speed, GPS co-ordinates and so on.

The most significant lack in my view is no offline trip planning, no capability for that whatsoever.

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

It seems the only way I can get ABS is to buy the Navigation package also. I like the fact the navi system is secure (does not need to be taken off and on) and is weather sealed. Not being able to program it in the conveince of my living room may take some getting use to. I really like the GarminNuvi, and it sounds like I will miss some of the features it has. Thanks for your help on this, I am almost ready to committ.

Do you have an opinion on rider backrests? I know I'll need one. I have a Mustang seat on my 1100 Shadow with a backrest, and it pushes right in to the small of my back and takes the stress off the lower back.

Thanks, Dave in Virginia
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:03 PM

Post imported post

Dave,

I just got my new 2008 Goldwing two weeks ago and was in the same dilema as you. I thought that I wanted ABS and heated seats, but I have a lot of experience with navigation systems from aircraft to cars to on my IPAQ, and you are much better off getting an aftermarket navigation system. If you buy a decent one, you can update maps and POIs which (not sure how the Honda one works) most likely cannot be done for the installed navi on the bike. Sure they have updates every year, but if it is like the Honda car systems, that will cost you about $200 an update.

So even though I thought that I wanted ABS, heated seats and hand grips, I wasn't willing to pay the extra $3000+ to get that stuff. And about the ABS, although I am sure that many will talk about great they are, the Honda linked brake system is still pretty nice. On a wet mess of a road, ABS may sell themselves, but that is a lot of extra bucks if all you want is ABS.

But that is what life is about, one choice after another! Good Luck!

Big Kahuna now walking
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old friends:
2008 Caliente Red Goldwing
1983 1100 Aspencade with Squire sidecar trailer
1980 450 Honda
1968 650 Trimuph Tiger with bolt-on hardtail
1965 305 Honda
1971 175 Yamaha Enduro
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 09:32 PM

Post imported post

The Honda Nav is barley adequate. The lack of touch a screen , the update costs, the fact you can't turn off the "safety" feature means you have to pull off to the side of the road or onto an off ramp to find a restaurant or gas station is a pain in the butt. You are SO----MUCH better off getting a semi-weatherproof Lowrance XOG for $175.00 and plugging it in to your headset with any off the several connectors designed for that purpose (Kenedy Tech, etc.). It may cost a bit extra and be a bit redundant having two GPS units but in the long run it will save you money and agravation. If only you could get ABS without the NAV.

I guess Honda needs the money to ship their MC plant back to Japan.

They sure aren't using the extra bucks to improve customer service, which is fast going down the tubes. ....jws

J. W. Smith
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 09:55 PM

Post imported post

hey darkside man, have you ever heard of anyone who can cancel the "safety" feature and get the NAV to work while the bike is moving? jws

J. W. Smith
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Senior Guru

Garage
Post imported post

If Honda built something like the Zumo into the bike, the ambulance chasers would be planted at every corner. I'm quite frankly surprised that Honda considered a gps at all, of any fashion, onto a motorcycle. A lot less room for error, and when errors occur, they're usually less forgiving. Can you imagine the people that would be "planning" their trips on the fly, and just general tinkering !!! Perish the thought.

It does suck that we had to get the thing to get ABS (love that ABS). And, I do like the bigger screen when using it for the radio, and other functions.

BOB

Knicknacks by Eric of Holland (former LTD rider)

80 Int., 85 Int., 85 LTD, 90/2000 1500, and now a 2006 Nav, Cabernet Red
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 11:09 PM

Year: 2009 /1978
Model: GL1800 Airbag / GL1000
Garage
Post imported post

jwpa13 wrote:
Quote:
.....have you ever heard of anyone who can cancel the "safety" feature and get the NAV to work while the bike is moving? jws
Yes, people have figured out how to turn off the safety feature. "Choptop" on the gl1800riders.com board posted the instructions a couple years ago. I think his bike is a 2006.

Check out this link. http://calico.stufftoread.com/gpswires.html

Jeff

2009 Yellow Airbag
Bushtec Quantum Sport
1978 GL1000 Naked
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 01:41 AM

Model: 2006 Goldwing
Post imported post

dave95sps wrote:
Quote:
It seems the only way I can get ABS is to buy the Navigation package also. I like the fact the navi system is secure .....
Do you have an opinion on rider backrests? I know I'll need one.
The GPS is basic, you can't program it while riding (probably a good thing), but I think it is worth it to as you said, have a built in unit. Overhead view, no 3-D, basic, but it gets you there. Also, its nice to have the larger screen and definitely worth it to get the ABS.

I have a Utopia backrest and really like it. Reasonable price, easily to install, no bars wrapped around the seat to get in the way of the passenger, huge range of adjustment.http://www.utpr.com/

Steve has aninstallation video for the Utopia on this site, makes it easier to make that cut in the seat after watching it and realizing it is easy to do.

Several improvements were made to the 1800 with the 2006 model to include a lighter frame, but supposedly stronger.

Patriot Guard Rider
Titanium Wing: 2006 GL1800 Airbag
"You might ride fast, but never ride in a hurry."
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page