Final drive problem GL1500 reassembly - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

While I was going to replace my tires, I decided to lube the final drive splines on the driven shaft as well as the splines going into the universal joint. The final drive assembly came out without a hitch. Did my cleaning and lube, reassembled the shaft in the hub and tried to reinsert up drive tunnel but shaft will not go into the ujoint yoke. This has really got me stumped as there is no blockage and everything looks clean. Has anyone a reccomendation as how to reinsert the drive shaft? It's an '89 GL1500. Would appreciate any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 05:33 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

Yes, I have had this problem.

Take your coupling out of the wheel and put it into the hub and use it to turn the driveshaft back and forth.

As you are pushing the driveshaft into the u-joint turn the coupling back and forth and it will make the u-joint wiggle enough so that it will line up and slide in.

If you want some good reading, I describe my 3 day ordeal at the bottom of my page: http://www.hrot.org/martino/goldwing...driveshaft.htm

Yes, the first time I did the job, I wasted 3 days. But never had a problem since.

Jim

Beware, I'm a known thread hijacker.

'96 GL1500 SE
Honda Riders of Tidewater -- Former Chapter President

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal webpage:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Desert Storm Veteran USS Pensacola (LSD-38)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:04 PM

Post imported post

I had trouble with my 1200 once. The u-joint has the tendency to dip down just a hair and make it hard to line up and get the splines started. It takes a little effort and some gentle twisting while you are trying to get it to mate.

"The Duke of" Earl.
PGR member
IBA member #32000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:39 PM

Model: 83 GL 1100 I
Garage
Post imported post

wolfmam--nice write up.

1979 gl1000 dressed --back to naked
1980 gl1100 interstate --side lined
1983 gl1100 interstate the fastest color--RED
retired trucker---going to see it again ----on 2 wheels---love it--love it

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Wolfman, thankyou so much for the greart advice. Worked like a charm!!!!! One little addition to your excellent write-up. Put the bike in park and the u-joint won't move at all. Makes lining up a lot easier. Again, thank you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Senior Guru

Garage
Post imported post

With cold oil, I hit the starter button (in neutral), while keeping slight forward pressure on final. Pops right in every time. There's enough drag on gears with cold oil, it rotates the output gently, without causing any sudden grabbing/lurching problems.

BOB

Knicknacks by Eric of Holland (former LTD rider)

80 Int., 85 Int., 85 LTD, 90/2000 1500, and now a 2006 Nav, Cabernet Red
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 01:04 AM

Model: 1999 1500SE Motortrike
Post imported post

Nice site Wolfman! Thanks, I learned alot.Like I'll hire you to rebuild my carbideezers! LOL Again, nice job. jimsjinx

"We are put here, to take care of each other"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > General > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page