Questions About GL1800 GPS Navigation System - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Post imported post

I am using the Harley-Davidson Road Tech Quest GPS navigation system. It is actually a Garmin, but it says Harley-Davidson on it so they can charge you more for it. It's an add-on, but with a fairing mount made for my bike. Both the unit and the mount are purchased from Harley-Davidson.

I really like the way it works and the things it can do. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the small screen. The Goldwing 1800 GPS has a much larger screen and better display. I have not had a chance to play with one and I would like to know if it can do afew critical things that I would not want to be without.

The most important is the computer software. My Garmin unit has computer mapping software for my home computer, with which I can sit at my desk and easily create and edit routes and waypoints and then download them (via USB) directly to the unit. It is MUCH easier than trying to work up a route on the unit. I can also, while riding,save my current locationat any time, name it, describe it, and navigate to it later. I can upload these waypoints to the home computer for safekeeping. They can be categorized and arranged in logical groups. I can save and store an unlimited number of routes and waypoints on my home computer and download the ones needed for the part of the country I'm riding in. If I am following a route and I miss a turn, or intentionally do not turn where it tells me to, it will automatically recalculate the route and find me the next best route from where I am. It's really quite an excellent system except for the small screen.

I know very little about the 1800 Goldwing's onboard GPS. I've seen them and I know the display is nice, but I didn't have an opportunity to learn much about them. Could some of you who have them please elaborate a little with some details on what they can and cannot do and how they operate, with specific attention to the things I mentioned above? I will appreciate it.....

Thanx......... Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Arkansas Ridgerunner

Year: 2014
Model: GL1800
Post imported post

Del Que wrote:
Quote:
The most important is the computer software. My Garmin unit has computer mapping software for my home computer, with which I can sit at my desk and easily create and edit routes and waypoints and then download them (via USB) directly to the unit. It is MUCH easier than trying to work up a route on the unit. I can also, while riding,save my current locationat any time, name it, describe it, and navigate to it later. I can upload these waypoints to the home computer for safekeeping. They can be categorized and arranged in logical groups. I can save and store an unlimited number of routes and waypoints on my home computer and download the ones needed for the part of the country I'm riding in. If I am following a route and I miss a turn, or intentionally do not turn where it tells me to, it will automatically recalculate the route and find me the next best route from where I am. It's really quite an excellent system except for the small screen.
Rick

The unit on the 1800 is also a Garmin, but it seems tobe a pretty basic unit. Yes, the large display is VERY nice and it also has the ability to save waypoints and name them so you can navigate to them later.

But I have not found a way to program routes from the home computer and take them to the unit on the 1800.

I am NOT a GPS Guru, so maybe someonewill come along and tell us how that is done.

There is a feature on the 1800 unit that is not on the one I use in my car. With no programed route, I can zoom out to a point where the unit will orient itself like a handheld map with North being the top of the map. Then it is much easierto keep up with where I am in relationship to other points on the map. It helps prevent those wrong turns and/or the stops to look at the map tofind out where you are. Not that I've ever had to do that!

I hope this helps ...

Bob

Retired and Riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Mega Monty Traxxion
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Darkside #623 - 250,929 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Both of my GPS units are Garmin, the 2730 and the Nuvi 600.

Both will do what Rick is talking about. From what I know of the 1800 GPS unit, Honda does not allow us to interface a computer to it at all. A real bad miscue in my opinion.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 01:20 AM

Post imported post

The interface to the navi, as far as I have read so far, is to buy an up-dated card that slides into the gps unit located in the trunk. I purchased my bike about 6 weeks ago, and the card in it right now trys to route me from my house, to some locations, across a bridge and a road that hasn't existed for 10 years. So either I got an old card in my new bike, or they aren't updated on any regular basis.

Roger C.
St Joseph, Missouri
Where the Pony Express started and Jesse James ended.
1981 GL1100 Vetter dressed
2008 GL1800 Audio/Comfort/Navi

Spot Tracker:
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 04:29 AM

Post imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Quote:
Both of my GPS units are Garmin, the 2730 and the Nuvi 600.

Both will do what Rick is talking about. From what I know of the 1800 GPS unit, Honda does not allow us to interface a computer to it at all. A real bad miscue in my opinion.
Somewhere on this forum, someone worked out how to use mapsource to update the card.

Do a search on 08 gps etc to find info

Globetrotter
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 06:15 AM

Make: Goldwing
Model: 2008 90,000 Miles
Post imported post

I have an 08 Wing with Nav. The software database is very outdated and to replace the card cost $199.00. To my knowledge the existing card can not be updated but I may be wrong. It is an expensive toy for sure and Honda could have done much better for a bike that is not exactly a low cost set of wheels. Ride long and often.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 06:57 AM

Make: Goldwing
Model: 2008 90,000 Miles
Post imported post

Regarding the Gold Wing Nav unit in reference to updating the software this article may help.

http://www.dandmbr.co.uk/goldwing/?cat=19
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:15 AM

Garage
Post imported post

Thanks wilkoi, I just updated my Bookmarks with that info.
Dave's Blog does a pretty good job of explaining how to use
Garmin's navigator program to update the maps.

Too bad though that the OS isn't being updated with "normal" features that we all use on GPS units.

~ John

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:15 AM

Garage
Post imported post

Oops! The server is running slow this morning. I didn't think the click went through and clicked it again. 30 seconds later, both clicks produced a post. :P

~ John

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:27 AM

Post imported post

I know we spent a lot for the gps that came with the bike
But can we go get a newer up date gps that will fit in the dash board

2c
two wheels up

Two Wheels up
Let the sun be to your back & let the stars show you the way

2003 Roadking Classic S/B
2008 GW with all the goodies
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page