heel-toe shifter versus standard toe shifter - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2014
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1800 2nd generation
Post imported post

I just read an article that said I should not be using a heel-toe shifter on my '02 1800. The article stated that a heel-toe shifter could damage the tranny - bend the shift forks. I use the Kuryakyn floorboards with the Kur. shifter. Has anyone had any problems with either the Kury or other brand shifters?

I really like the heel-toe shifter, but If it's gonna damage the tranny I'll switch back in a heartbeat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

Personally I don't see how anyone could use a HT shifter and shift correctly, I tried the one that came on my 83 and quickly got rid of it and the floorboards. There has been some discussion of the HT shifter being at least partly responsible for the tranny problems.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:09 PM

Post imported post

I like a heel/toe shift. Have had them on all my bikes, and would not be happy with a standard peg and toe shift.

Used as intended, used normally I would challenge anyone to prove to me that a heel/toe shift harms the transmission.

As with all things it is just common sense. I think sometime a shift fork is damaged with a heel/toe shift under a couple conditions. One is shifting the bike in or out of gear with it not running. You know how it will sometimes not want to shift into neutral or will get stuck in second gear. The motor is not running, nothing is rotating, so if one gets rough with the shift, sure damage could occur.

Sometimes you will see folks arrive at a stop light in a high gear, they stop and stomp it down miss a gear...mess around.....that sort of thing.

If used with just a firm easy shift I do not think it would ever lead to any damage. Now if one were to stomp on it all the time the extra leverage when it will not go in or out of gear because of improper operation on the part of the rider, yes maybe damage can result.

I think that is what you have to look at, use it with common sense and care and you will be fine.

I have used them for years. I simply use the weight of my foot to shift with, I do not stomp on the shift, and I always start the bike before attempting to shift.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:17 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

You are right about that as always Kit, I have seen guys stomping on a shifter like that,IT AIN'T GOING TO SHIFT STUPID, motorcycle transmissions have to be turning to shift.
I still don't like heal/toe shifters, reminds me of a trail 90 or cub 50.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:26 PM

Model: 861200 I
Send a message via Yahoo to Richardrwg
Post imported post

Has anyone ever tried or know of anyone who tried to put in a floorboard and still have use of the toe shift. I've been riding for the past 36 years and don't feel like trying to adapt to a new way of shifting (it's challenging enough getting used to the 'wing).

I would like to go to a floorboard on my 83, but not the H/T shift.

Just because you\'re a paranoid doesn\'t mean they\'re not out to get you.

Patriot Guard Riders - Standing for those who stood for us.
If you\'re not a member, be a member.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Post imported post

I have a 1981 Gl1100 interstate with 90,000 + miles and it has a heel to toe shifter. Never been a problem at all. Ever.

1981 GL 1100 Interstate (wineberry)
Deceased

2006 Yamaha 650 Vstar custom
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:53 PM

Post imported post

I have a heel/toe on both my 1100 and the 1500. I prefer to shift that way. When riding a standard bike the shifting feels wrong.

1980 GL1100 Standard/ with Vetter upgrades
2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750 wife (Better Half)
2002 Honda 1800 trike wife (better half)
2003 Honda 1800 everyday bike 95,000+
2014 GL1800 called midnight riding just a little it waiting for me to retire. (soon)
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I don't like H&T shifters but if a rider doesn't stomp on it and doesn't keep pressure on the pedal while riding and not shifting it shouldn't do any damage. Too many people use them with no problems to think that there's much risk of damaging the shift forks. Those can be damaged with the regular shift lever ifone is a bit cloddish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 09:23 PM

Model: 1993 GL1500 S/E
Post imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone ever tried or know of anyone who tried to put in a floorboard and still have use of the toe shift. I've been riding for the past 36 years and don't feel like trying to adapt to a new way of shifting (it's challenging enough getting used to the 'wing).

I would like to go to a floorboard on my 83, but not the H/T shift.
I've never seen 'Wing boards that would let a full-sized feller sneak his toe under the stock shifter peg. This 1200 Aspy is my first H/T shifter, and I was used to it in a week. It's really not a big deal. Get the boards, and try the heel toe. I think it's all personal preference.

Boards, pegs, H/T or not - if it's a motorcycle . . . . . . I'm in.

6'-2", 210, old Geezer Glide and a big dumb grin.

Goldwings. . . if you're gonna have something between your legs, it might as well be enormous and smooth.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 08:39 AM

Year: 1998
Model: SE
Post imported post

I have tried both of them and prefer the heal/toe shifter. I agree with Kit that nice easy shifts are what you are looking for. Not slamming it changing gears.

1998 1500 SE

Kevin Reitz
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page