Baker Built Hand Wings - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I'm sure you guys must have discussed these somewhere on here probably more than once so sorry if this is a repeat....

I have been delaying getting into the extra plastic for my GL1800as long as I can. The twice daily rides in the 40's for a couple of weeks led me to look at the Baker Built Hand Wings while I was getting my 4,000 miles service - at 5,300 miles .

I have been discounting a lot of the wind "Buffeting" issues and chalking it up to my large size extending beyond the faring and into wind channels. I don't like too many geegaws on my bike so that dragged me back a bit too. Well, the ONE area that gets cold on me - even with hand grip warmers - is my hands. I have experienced it in both warm weather mesh gloves (my preferred pair) and Heavy winter gloves with Thinsulate.

Bought them (the Baker Built Hand Wings)Saturday, put them on in a few minuteslast night and rode in this am with them. We had our brisk (40 F) fog ride and I intentionally took the back farm roads for half. Risk is a tossup in those conditions because the deer, coyote and other varmintsare everywhere - and our highways people play bumper cars in this weather - like the two accidents I saw on the TV this am. So I rode 1/2 on foggy colder back roads (farm roads)- max speeds 45 - 55mph; and half on the highway - speeds ranged from 65 to 80.

WOW - what a diference these things made!!! I rode with the summer mesh gloves all the way. I didn't even use the handgrip warmers until I merged onto the highway and elevated speed created more windchill. When I turned the grip warmers on, it seemed to warm up faster and stay warmer - better - longer. I am assuming not actually - but the effect was such since the air did not hit my hands as much.

Fort some reason that under mirror airflow has been problematic for me - not only for cold , but insects of all sizes - including some VERY large dragonflys whack my knuckes from time to time - stones too. Not major pain - but an annoyance. Not only did these protect my hands from the airstream but it seemed as though it offered some arm and side coverage too as it rerouted the wind channels away. It says you can turn them to scoop the air in too on hot days. I really like them and if I can hold here with the geegaws (which I doubt I will - LOL) I may not get too much into the extra plastic all over the bike. Their black color too blends in fine with my black Goldwing. Here is a link:

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/gl1800%20gold%20wing.htm

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson, (attributed); US essayist & poet (1803 - 1882)

WHAT I RIDE: 2008 Honda GL1800, 2002 Indian Chief
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

Told ya.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Arkansas Ridgerunner

Year: 2014
Model: GL1800
Post imported post

Yes! The hand wings are wonderful!

I wanted them for summer riding. They can be adjusted topull a lot of air under your arms and into your body under the armpit. So I did not install mine until mid June.

On my last trip we had a couple of mornings with temps in the mid 30's with a pretty heavy frost. They made a HUGE difference!

I did without them last winter ... I just did not know how much they would help during the cold months.

Retired and Riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Mega Monty Traxxion
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Darkside #623 - 250,929 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:37 PM

Post imported post

has anyone tried the Kuryakan Dragon Wing deflectors? I Have had the same problem with my hands getting cold and the heated grips not being enough.

2008 GL1800
\'81 GL1100
\'85 BMW K100rt
\'91 Nighthawk 750
None of my bikes make much noise.

veho illic quod tergum
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM

Post imported post

Blackdog - Glad to hear you like them. They work great in the closed position.

Owned Previously:
SL100 1974-1976 9,000mi
CB175 1975-1976 100mi
CL350 1975-1980 20,000mi
CB550K 1978-1982 20,000mi
GL1000 1988-1993 2,500 (got the 1500, never looked back
GL1500 1989-1997 50,000mi
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:15 PM

Post imported post

Blackdog,

It's funny that you mention the "cold hands' issue, as I took my first "cool weather" ride this afternoon when I got home from work..Temperatures in the mid 50's F...and I was feeling pretty good....except for my hands. After a quick 50 mile sprint, my hands were the only things feeling the effects of the cold...not so good when you're trying to ride a motorcycle. I checked out your link, but only saw applications for 1800's...Does anyone know of a similar piece of equipment available for the 1200? Also, why are these thing so expensive?? Even though I'm a decendant from the old country (Scotland), I'm not that cheap..but WT?....A little bit pricy for something that you could almost make yourself??
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

chesterwgunn wrote:
Quote:
Blackdog,

It's funny that you mention the "cold hands' issue, as I took my first "cool weather" ride this afternoon when I got home from work..Temperatures in the mid 50's F...and I was feeling pretty good....except for my hands. After a quick 50 mile sprint, my hands were the only things feeling the effects of the cold...not so good when you're trying to ride a motorcycle. I checked out your link, but only saw applications for 1800's...Does anyone know of a similar piece of equipment available for the 1200? Also, why are these thing so expensive?? Even though I'm a decendant from the old country (Scotland), I'm not that cheap..but WT?....A little bit pricy for something that you could almost make yourself??
Chester - not sure about why they cost what they do - but for me they are worth it. Short of big rain (which we may get some this weekend - ) there is nothing here that would keep me from riding year round - cold was tolerable but uncomfortable on the hands - especially down from 40s to 30s and even 20s on extreme days - now there is no problem.

One thing that might make the price is they really seem to be engineered well - solid plastics, good brackets, all hardware included, design seems solid and integrates into existing bike features. Like there is a drainage hole on the bottom of 1800 mirror wells that has the set srew for the 1800 mirrors. you go in remove the screw (be careful not to drop your mirror) and then replace it with the hardware supplied. . Looks like they did their homework on design and coloring as well. All nuts, bolts, washers, etc... are all there and assembled for you. Plastic is plastic - but if something is designed well and works well then it is worth it to me at that price.

I have only seen them on 1800 and 1500 hopefully some of the other guys will know about earlier models.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Rudy wrote:
Quote:
Told ya.
I think maybe you did - I just can't remember where - LOL

Do you know about them for earlier model years like chesterwgunn was asking?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 07:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to jgrif72
Post imported post

blackdog, I picked up a set last week for my 1500 and have not had a chance to throw them on as of yet, but I think I will be out there doing it tomorrow after reading the difference it has made for you.

John

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

Blackdog wrote:
Quote:

Do you know about them for earlier model years like chesterwgunn was asking?
No, but the 1500 model mount is just a U clamp that gets set with a set screw clamping againt the bottom of the mirror housing so it should work with any mirror housing that isn't over 1/4" thick and open at the bottom with about 3/16" gap between the bottom of the mirror and the mirror housing.

You must have read it in my "other" post.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page