Question for the 1800 Owners - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

My 2008 GL1800 was imported from the US into Canada by the PO. He purchased the bike in the spring in Florida and purchased extended warranty protection on the bike at that time. Subsequent to the purchase and importation, he lost his license for DUI and now his loss is my gain.

I think that Honda Canada does not honor the US warranty but as I live within 1.5 hours of Buffalo, I should be able to have any warranty problems dealt with by the dealer there. How does Honda identify what bikes are still under warranty? Is this done solely thru the VIN or do you have a card like my 1500 did? I don't know anybody who has imported a bike and dealt with warranty issues so any enlightenment as to how warranty is dealt with in the US would be appreciated.

It's not that I need anything done but I always like to know upfront how things work. The bike only has 4k and is absolutely beautiful condition. Riding this makes my 1200 and 1500 feel really old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Post imported post

Yes you will really enjoy the 1800 . It is quite the machine. I am still in awe of it. You have found out just how good they are.

Maybe one of the Canadian fellows will be along to help you with the warranty thing, as I do not know about how they handle it up there or crossing over the border.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hey Kit, when you have a warranty issue do the dealers check on your bikes warranty status by checking the VIN or do you have an ID card like the older bikes used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Model: 2007 GL1800
Post imported post

a friend of mine bought a used 2004 1800 in new york city. he has travelled to buffalo to have warranty work done, when i bought my canadian 2007 1800 i received an extended warranty card from honda canada. most warranties are track by serial numbers.you could also check if the bike has the extended warranty. if it doesn't the warranty can be purchased on sale for as little as $450.00 from dealerships such as honda directline when the sale is on. i went to www.honda.comand entered 14210 zip for buffalo . there are 4 dealerships listed.my buddy went to lancaster for his warranty repairs. hope this helps. john

Proud member of The Royal Canadian Wild Rhinos
(division of The Kansas Wild Rhinos Inc.)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 07:11 PM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

i dont know about the 1800. but my friend has bought a suzuki and they plug something into the bikes computer and they know the warranty and services done.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 07:40 PM

Post imported post

TwoWings wrote:
Quote:
Hey Kit, when you have a warranty issue do the dealers check on your bikes warranty status by checking the VIN or do you have an ID card like the older bikes used?
We have a warranty card that basically has the sale date and the vin number on it. But a dealer can use the Vin number and find out on the computer exactly where the bike was sold and exactly the date. The ID card just saves a bit of time.
Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 AM

Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

Warrantee has been a big issue with Honda because of the higher prices they charge for bikes here in Canada. If I bought a new bike in the USA and imported it into Canada they don't honour the warrantee here. You're OK if you're a visitor and have a breakdown but if the bike has a Canadian registration you are out of luck.

A US dealer can be cut off if he sells to a Canadian (There are ways around that). The hypocritical part is that when the pricing favoured the US buyer coming to Canada Honda did nothing to protect their US dealers.

One other Japanese manufacturer has taken the warrantee hammer a step further. They don't honour the warrantee on either side of the border if the bike has been imported.

There are corporate reasons for some of this but the consumer just sees themselves as being ripped off. I tend to agree. Honda Canada is doing little to endear themselves to the buying public.

Len
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:01 AM

Post imported post

I am pretty sure Honda tracks things by the VIN.

2008 GL1800
\'81 GL1100
\'85 BMW K100rt
\'91 Nighthawk 750
None of my bikes make much noise.

veho illic quod tergum
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page