Bringing back faded paint? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to flashya2
Post imported post

When I bought my '89 wing and introduced myself to the forum, Rudy informed this newbie that I didn't own an Aspencade. Knowing it had the Aspencade badge on the left saddlebag, I was confused.

Rudy was right, of course....and upon closer inspection, it seems a former owner has taken parts from twobikes to made up the plastic parts for this one. It's an attractive bike, but on all the bags, the lids and bodies are different. Some have nice, shiny paint, but the others have a much more faded/dull finish.

This is probably obvious to many of you, but I'm hoping I can help this mismatch. Might there be some way to help bring the two finishes closer together, to improve the shine and color depth more on the faded, dull parts?

My guess might be rubbing compound and polish.....but I've been reading here a lot about Pledge and other cleaning methods. Any suggestions, especially tried and proven, would be most appreciated!

Any day ABOVE ground is a GOOD day....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Guru

Year: 1991 1500 SE & 79 1000 GL.
Model: '79 GL1000 & '91 GL1500
Post imported post

http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/default.asp

this is an amazing paint restoration product. Looks & acts like a wax. But you rub this stuff on & leave it for a while before you buff it up because it actually reacts with your paint.

I polished my 20 year old bike with this stuff & it has a factory finish. Before that it was dull & regular wax would not bring the shine up.

I did 2 applications & Im good now for a year with 100% uv protection.

I paid $35 for a bottle here in Canada.

If ya cant fix it with a hammer, it's prolly lectrical
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

WOW.....great information, many thanks and mana for you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hatchetman, they have lots of products. I want exactly what you had if I can get it. Did you get the Instant Bike Shine? http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product...IE&Range=2

Thanks......Jon

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Guru

Post imported post

Hi Jon. What I used was an automotive product that came in a flat type of bottle. it is labeled "Ultra deep shine" than it sais "Ultimate polish for modern paints and dark colors".

My paint is black & this product is designed for dark colors. They have products designed for light colors as well. each one is specific to the different shades.

My bottle is 500 ml.

bar code on my bottle, 5 016366 705003.

the bottle is shaped like a mickey of whiskey, not round.

I have used cutting compounds & very expensive polishes in the past & they work fairly well but this stuff was sold to me by my local parts store & they were told about it by a local body shop that use it and nothing else.

I have used it twice on my bike & the bottle still feels full.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 PM

Model: 88 GL 1500
Post imported post

If regular buffing withpower tools does not bring back the color and does not match, I would consider repainting. But, that will come at a cost $$$.

Texas _Foosman
1988 GL1500
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Probationary

Model: VTX 1300
Post imported post

I had an old blue ford i loved, but the paint was faded blue. Some store had this 'Paint Restorer', so i tried it. It took hours to get it on, let it sit & rub it out, but it looked like a new paint job. Sure can't remember the name of it, though.

I could even wax & polish it. It's been more than 20 years, but at least I know there is stuff out there that does work.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

KANWINGS / Wild Rhinos
Kansas Patriot Guard
God Bless America
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

You guys are all great, and Hatchetman has probably given me the best link available. The company sells a lot of excellent products, but some seem to overlap, or had brief descriptions. Knowing now specifically what he used with such satisfaction is a great deal of help.

The company sells a paint restorer as well as several types of cleaner and shine. Many of their products do remind us that the paint surface is most durable and attractive nearest the original factory finish. The paint restorer has abrasives, which DO remove some of the top surface of paint, and should only be used as a last resort. So, I'll try what served Hatchetman so well, and if my paint is so far gone I'm not yet satisfied, will so to the restorer next, followed by coats of shine. If that doesn't work, then a new paint job she gets!

This glide brings me great satisfaction, and appearance is a great source of pride with the wing. Only the best, y'know, only the best.

Thanks again for all the trouble you went to for me, Hatchetman!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Guru

Post imported post

always happy to help my friend!

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page