MUD FLAPS - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Dan Kelly
Post imported post

Good day Mate! Submitted this post on Rally without any response and since this site is busier, I'll try again.

Having ordered an 09 airbag, I'm finding out that airbag models cannot take fender extensions, which I want. Some believe it's because the fender is shaped differently. Might not be a lot of airbag models sold, so a limited market. Since I'd like to ride this Winter when road conditions are good, I'd like something to extend the front fender to keep more sand/salt off the bike. I know mud flaps are ok on the rear fender to protect trailers and such, but how do they look on the front fender? I imagine the airbag sensor(s) are higher up on the front wheel assembly. As always, thanks.

If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. BF

Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

If criticism had any merit, the skunk would have been extinct years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 12:53 PM

Post imported post

Dan Kelly wrote:
Quote:
Good day Mate! Submitted this post on Rally without any response and since this site is busier, I'll try again.

Having ordered an 09 airbag, I'm finding out that airbag models cannot take fender extensions, which I want. Some believe it's because the fender is shaped differently. Might not be a lot of airbag models sold, so a limited market. Since I'd like to ride this Winter when road conditions are good, I'd like something to extend the front fender to keep more sand/salt off the bike. I know mud flaps are ok on the rear fender to protect trailers and such, but how do they look on the front fender? I imagine the airbag sensor(s) are higher up on the front wheel assembly. As always, thanks.

I suspect that a non-answer indicated that people just don't know.

I've seen other bikes such as a Valkyrie with a rubber mudflap on them and it didn't look very good at all. I suspect that your dealer won't be able to answer the question for you either as far as "why not".

I don't know if there's a honda hotline type of affair that you could put your question to but you may try the following as it's a pretty active 1800 forum. I know they're a similar forum to Rally but seem busier.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19

Greg (wrongway) and Bonnie
Currently looking to buy a GL1800 Spring 2018. Looking for 2001-2012 depending on condition, miles etc.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

FWIW, I don't have an 1800 and I do have a chrome extension on mine.

I added a mud flap to the front fender of mine and I like it. You can read about it here.

Just as an update(and a little advice) I should have cut the mudflap an inch shorter than I did. The bottom of the mudflap will come in contact with some ofthose 'speed bumps' in parking lots/roads and as a result, cracked the lower left corner of my fender. (I'll see if I can throw up a picture a little later, after I wash my bike(tomorrow?) I ended up buying a used one off of Fleabay (same colour) for a reasonable price but haven't installed it .... yet.

I'd suggest that if you are going to install one(I just cut down a cheap automotive one to fit), that you install a piece of metal strappingaround the inner circumference of the fender, to add a little reinforcement there(same material I used for the rear mudflap, lower down on the page)

Main thing I guess is: don't let the mudflap'hang' too close to the ground. I'll measure mine and get back with a recommended clearance height(and some pics)

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 09:47 PM

Post imported post

Have you thought of helmet flaps?

cagers on cell phones scare me
I owe my life to a Stebel Nautilus
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Probationary

Model: VTX 1300
Post imported post

Dusty Boots, last time I brought this up, you were going out to the garage & try to make one. That was the last I heard of it.

I ordered a front fender extension from JC Whitney, plastic chrome, for about $15. Ought to get here anytime. I got real tired of trying to keep that front grill clean.

If Whitney didn't have one so cheap, I'd have just made one.

KANWINGS / Wild Rhinos
Kansas Patriot Guard
God Bless America
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

Popeye wrote:
Quote:
Dusty Boots, last time I brought this up, you were going out to the garage & try to make one. That was the last I heard of it.

Yup, done deal Popeye, just follow the link above( and all subsequent links contained therein), although I still haven't quite finished with the rear mudflap yet ..... this winter. I was too busy riding this summer.

I'm still looking for a good set of lights to incorporate in/onto it. The wiring on those red LED lights I initially got from Wally World were very small gauge and didn't think they would last long, in that environment, so I returned them.:P I might not find such a thingand go with a couple of reflectors instead(?) I have the aluminum piece cut out to add onto itand roughly shaped. Now all I have to do is 'refine' it a bit, polish and attach it.

Dusty

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 01:50 PM

Post imported post

Dan Kelly wrote:
Quote:

I think I would call this company before I gave up. Almost all the fender extensions even from the year 2006 and up say they will not fit the airbag model. This one says it will, I did call the Sumter shop and they told me they put them on all the time, and yes they have one for the airbag model. So they are available. This one may or may not fit the 2009, says it will, shop says it will, I would call to be sure first though.
Show Chrome Front Fender Extension for GL1800 '01-Up (incl. airbag model) Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Did you guys notice the advert for a Utopia ripoff type backrest on that link? It looks like they even copied the mounting.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 PM

Post imported post

exavid wrote:
Quote:
Did you guys notice the advert for a Utopia ripoff type backrest on that link? It looks like they even copied the mounting.
I have seen a lot of them lately in various bike shops. I know when I ordered my original Utopia last year I had to wait almost two months to get it. I was told the fellow who makes them is semi-retired and only makes so many, but have seen very similar ones on the bikes in the bigger volume dealer shops where they rig them up before they go out the door. They do look very similar, but the actual backrest pad is a bit different.
There is another whole sale place selling something similar too, forget where I saw that, in some bike magazine someplace, so it is becoming more common.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Quote:
FWIW, I don't have an 1800 and I do have a chrome extension on mine.

I added a mud flap to the front fender of mine and I like it. You can read about it here.

Just as an update(and a little advice) I should have cut the mudflap an inch shorter than I did. The bottom of the mudflap will come in contact with some ofthose 'speed bumps' in parking lots/roads and as a result, cracked the lower left corner of my fender. (I'll see if I can throw up a picture a little later, after I wash my bike(tomorrow?) ......
Main thing I guess is: don't let the mudflap'hang' too close to the ground. I'll measure mine and get back with a recommended clearance height(and some pics)

Dusty

Okay, I updated the other thread, along with some pictures

Dusty

- just another Rider

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page