Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   LED DRIVING LIGHTS OR FOG LIGHTS (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/314568-led-driving-lights-fog-lights.html)

Dusty 11-12-2008 10:37 PM

imported post

I am thinking to put some led driving lights on my GL 1200 wing . I found a set at Pep Boys but I am not sure if they will do more than just make more light for the cage drivers to see me or if they will make light to see the road .

What do you all do for driving lights since the wings don't Handel too much extra electrical add ons ?:baffled:

Dusty

Hatchetman 11-12-2008 11:46 PM

imported post

I have an expensive led flash light which throws out a fair jag of light. I have a cheaper one with the same amount of bulbs that gives off half as much light.

I would say led is a great add on for a wing if it will give out the candle power of a regular light designed for that purpose.

Read the fine print for its performance. you should be o.k.

William_86 11-13-2008 12:14 AM

imported post

22 Attachment(s)
leds are rly bright. but they dont work well for lightig ur road.

dlquack 11-13-2008 12:29 AM

imported post

I've got a set of LED's from LEDKNIGTHS, but they are only signals, brakes, and marker lights. They definitely are brighter and light faster, but they do not light up the road more. I found a higher wattage bulb for my headlight and that helped alot.

oldishwinger 11-13-2008 01:47 AM

imported post

gidday,

with a bit of prudence the 1200 will handle extra lighting etc. it pays though, to put them through a relay, this will help take the load off the 1200's electrical system.

also install a switch which will give you more control, should you need it.

for driving lights, from what I have read, 50 watt halogens may be a bit too much,
but 30 watt are fine.

Recently, I installed marker lights, from cyclemax that had 50 watt halogens, but as I was looking more to be seen, than more light at night, I changed the bulbs to led, which give a white light, equivalent to 25 watt halogens each, with a draw rate of 3.6watt per bulb.

boy they are bright, but dont show a lot of light on the road at night, maybe a little, just around the front tire.

the extra draw on my voltmeter, is so small, its not worth mentioning.

good luck,

GoldWingPastor 11-13-2008 05:23 AM

imported post

Thanks for the info, oldishwinger, I have an '85 Aspy that I was wondering how the draw would be with some extra LED lights.