Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

100,000 mile GL1500 maintenace cost

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Kit Carson 
#1 ·
imported post

I'm looking to buy a 1991 Goldwing with 123,000 that has not had the 100,000 mile maintenace done. I'm wondering what the estimated cost for this might be.

Thanks,

Duffy

#2 ·
imported post

Well, most of us with mileage that high have done all the work ourselves, so, depending on where you get your parts, prices may vary. I myself, inspect everything during the oil changes, and repair or replace as needed. I don't wait a certain mileage to check or replace certain items, since I have always changed my oil at 3,000 miles, and belts between 50 and 60 thousand, and gas, and air filter and differential oil every 15,000 miles or when changing tires. Antifreeze and brake/clutch fluids every 2 years. It works for me. The bike is not that hard to work on as a lot of people would think. It is more time spent removing tupperware than actual work. A dealer I imagine is going to charge you $65-85 per hour, plus parts, and for a 100,000 service, I'll bet they charge at least 4 hours labor.:)

Gene:waving:

#3 ·
imported post

My bike has 56,000 i bought it in may of this year i had the bike serviced at a honda dealer they checked all fluids and electricels plus new brakes f/r and a oil changethey charged 325. You talked about 50,000miles for belts if your nothaving any issues do you still need to change them at that interval. The bike had 52thou when i bought, it the dealer did not mention anything about weather they were changed.

#4 ·
imported post

When I bought my 1500, it had carb issues and need Progressive fork springs. New tires and just in general a complete check up.

1st time in the door it was 4 hours for a looksee, filters, tires, and springs. Shop rate then was $65/hour.

2nd time in it was about the same I think, 3 or 4 hours.

that should do it.

#5 ·
imported post

When you take a bike to a dealer or service shop and tell them to service it. Unless you yourself are somewhat educated about the bike and specifically ask for something to be done. It will not be.

All you will get is an oil change, and a few basic checks. They are not going to change the brake fluid, the coolant, they are not even going to check the timing belts, I know it is all in the service manual, but they simply do not do it.

You have to be aware of what your bike needs and ask for it to be done.

Basic things like changing the coolant , and the brake fluid are easy to do, instead of paying them 200 bucks to change the brake fluid , order a dozen speed bleeders and put them on your bike, makes it easy for one person to change those fluids, a section of hose to a waste container and let it rip, flush it out. These things are best learned and done by oneself.

Other things like timing belts, plugs, carb tunes, you have to ask them to do, for sure they will not do it unless you ask them to.

Kit

Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.