Baker Air Wings - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:35 AM

Post imported post

Littlejohnwrote:
Quote:
I have had a set on my 1800 for about 4yrs and I find them excellent. On a hot day the lowers car be turned easily whilst on the moveto deflect cool air onto your legs. The top ones have a little square section that can be opened to again deflect cool air inwards. The pillion has little advantage from this. On a cold wet day they widen the area of protection from the fairing helping to keep you and your pillion dry. I have coloured matched ones which I think help the look of the bike. Expensive but a good buy that I have had absolutely no problems with so far. Only criticism I would have is that they are fitted with shinney chrome nuts when new that after a while tend to rust and look unsightly. I am at the point of replacing mine with stainless steel nuts and bolts.This is the only photo of mine I have.

Littlejohn:

What kind of seat is that? Cost? Comfort?

DeDub

dw or Donny ><>
08 Pearl White, Airbag.
IBA Member #42244
Darkside #1207
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF THIS GREAT FORUM FAMILY!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 AM

Post imported post

I put a set on my GL1100, and absolutely love them. Keep you cool in when it's hot, warm when it's cold. And if it's raining, they deflect the rain away and keep you dry. I'll buy them for any Goldwing I ever own, forever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Read my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Post imported post

Oh - and when I put them on originally, I saw the little plastic screws holding the wings to their brackets, and thought; "why did they use THOSE? What kind of crap is that?"

The first (and only, so far!) time I dropped my Goldwing (leaned it over on the kickstand that I had already retracted), I kicked my right wing while executing my get-off. The bracket, fairing, and wing all stayed intact - but the little plastic screw broke, sacrificing itself. NOW I know why they use a crappy little plastic screw.

They sell replacement screws on their web site, incidentally.

Read my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Littlejohn
Post imported post

Dedub the seat in the photo is a Corbin heated seat.

Price:- I paid £800 sterling for it 4yrs ago but as it came from USA it should be a heck of a lot less over there.

Comfort:- This is down to personal opinion as some will say it is too hard whilst others will say it is excellent. Basically is will be hard for the first 1000 miles approx until it has bedded into your shape and then I found it to be very comfortable. My wife on pillion thinks it is brilliant and often falls asleep on the back. She likes the built in arm rests and the heated seat with control for both rider and pillion seperate with a high and low setting. The back rest is built in and folds forward to allow the pillion to get on and off.

Both my wife and I like it much better than the standard seat.

Candy Red 2003 GL1800A3
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 AM

Model: 2008 Comfort/Navi
Garage
Post imported post

I have the Baker 2-piece set on my 2008, with a larger deflector on top as pictured. When its hot the top brings in air to help cool the driver and passenger. The lower deflector mounted behind the radiator vents, will bring in warm air from the radiators. I only use the lowers when its cold out. They will also help deflect some rain. They are also high enough to allow the driver to use highway pegs/boards. I like them better than the single piece set I had on my 1500.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aitwings.jpg (63.9 KB, 85 views)
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:11 PM

Post imported post

Littlejohn wrote:
Quote:
Dedub the seat in the photo is a Corbin heated seat.

Price:- I paid £800 sterling for it 4yrs ago but as it came from USA it should be a heck of a lot less over there.

Comfort:- This is down to personal opinion as some will say it is too hard whilst others will say it is excellent. Basically is will be hard for the first 1000 miles approx until it has bedded into your shape and then I found it to be very comfortable. My wife on pillion thinks it is brilliant and often falls asleep on the back. She likes the built in arm rests and the heated seat with control for both rider and pillion seperate with a high and low setting. The back rest is built in and folds forward to allow the pillion to get on and off.

Both my wife and I like it much better than the standard seat.
Thanks for the info sir. I'm sort of in the market for a new seat, but can't seem to bring myself to spend the cash to replace afactory seat on an almost new bike. Kinda erks me to tell ya the truth, but the stock seat just hasn't been as comfortable for me as I think it should be.

I heard that the Corbin's are stiff at first, but break-in nicely. I also figure you're paying a bit more for the name as well, but man does it look sweet on your bike. I really like it. Cudos to you...very sharply dressed Goldwing.

DeDub

dw or Donny ><>
08 Pearl White, Airbag.
IBA Member #42244
Darkside #1207
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF THIS GREAT FORUM FAMILY!!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:15 PM

Post imported post

Has anyone tried the Kuryakan Dragon Wings? They look better than the baker wings

2008 GL1800
\'81 GL1100
\'85 BMW K100rt
\'91 Nighthawk 750
None of my bikes make much noise.

veho illic quod tergum
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:47 PM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

The ones that 3rdwing has pictured are the ones I wish mine had, but then again, beggers can't be choosers.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:56 PM

Post imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Quote:
I put a set on my GL1100, and absolutely love them. Keep you cool in when it's hot, warm when it's cold. And if it's raining, they deflect the rain away and keep you dry. I'll buy them for any Goldwing I ever own, forever.
Do you have any pictures of how the right one is mounted? Did you have to drill into the fairing?

1998 Valkyrie Standard

Previous Bikes:
1981 Yamaha XV750
1983 Aspencade
2007 Hyosung GV650
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 02:29 PM

Model: Red GL1800
Post imported post

3rdwing wrote:
Quote:
I have the Baker 2-piece set on my 2008, with a larger deflector on top as pictured. When its hot the top brings in air to help cool the driver and passenger. The lower deflector mounted behind the radiator vents, will bring in warm air from the radiators. I only use the lowers when its cold out. They will also help deflect some rain. They are also high enough to allow the driver to use highway pegs/boards. I like them better than the single piece set I had on my 1500.
I have had them on the last 3 Wings that I have owned. Best accessory I have ever put on! The first set was on my old GL1200, then my GL1500 and as soon as I got my 2002 GL1800 when it was rolled off the showroom floor with zero miles on it- that was the first thing I added. Now with 139,500 miles on it, --- if I ever get another Wing - I will repeat the purchase and installation.

Riding in SW OH in the summer - FL in the winters
My sixth Gold wing now - it is a red one this time!
I am on R and R - RETIRED and RIDING
AMA Life Member # 283954
GWRRA Life Member # 028867
Florida Prowler #5
Darksider # 1002 - Dunlop Wintersport 175/60R - 16
OH Chapter L Cincinnati - Former C D
GWRRA International Couple 2006-2007
F and AM #346 - Ohio 40 plus years
AASR 32nd Scottish Rite Mason. 40 plus years
Past Wings - Gl1100, Gl1200, Gl1500, 2002 Gl1800 2003 GL1800 & 2008 Gl1800
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page