CT on a 1500 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Model: Endeavor Trikes (4)
Garage
Post imported post

I am guessing this is a touchy subject but I have discovered a CT will fit on a gl1500. I recently built a ST1100 reverse trike. I install a GL1500 rim and Federal 175x60x16 car tire. Total cost was $73 and it should go at least 35k. I run CT's on my GL1800 and Valkyrie and if run at the right pressure they will out do any MC tire especially the radials.
The ST has a similar swing arm to the GL1500 so this tire size should work fine.

Available through http://www.tireeasy.com

My trike project is on http://www.stealth11.com

the CT conversion details on http://www.stealth11.com/ctconversion.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

We have discussed this before, and we have done it without getting into a bad storm.

And we can again.

This is a "to each his own" subject or topic. Please no bad vibes if you haven't done it.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:47 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

This subject has been flogged to death here and has caused a lot of heated debate so I suggest do a search in the search box you will get plenty of info ,Seems strange that this subject should be the first post for a new member ??????????

I am curious very curious

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
yes it is Gaelic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 AM

Post imported post

Seems I cannot stay out of trouble.

I will just say short and sweet. I am a DarkSider, I believe in using a CT on the 1800 very much. I have a new one installed, wanting to go play with it but have the flue...ARRRRGGGG!!!

The trike project shows a lot of ingenuity and a lot of skill and is something to be very proud of.

But a trike is a trike is a trike and not a two wheeler. To offset the rear wheel on a two wheeler would be putting forces into play that most have no idea what the result would be, and the word should fit means it has not really been tried?

As one who runs a Run Flat and thinks it is a great thing for the majority of the roads we run on and the interstates, I made a promise I would never say or do anything that would bring harm to another rider.

Things have to be actually tested, fitted, and evaluated, and to offset the rear wheel on a regular motorcycle would bring many forces into play that may be very hazardous , such as a high speed wobble. Not sure about that, but have no intent to find out either.

A CT does lend itself well to the 1800, but that is the only bike so far that has shown real and safe results. Many people will do many things, tis the nature of the human spirit to try. I would have to see this, see it fit, in many ways, I would never just say it should fit.

Ok will behave now.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Model: Endeavor Trikes (4)
Garage
Post imported post

Greetings Kit

I don't think the 1/4" offset would really make any difference but after I was all done I had just over 1/4" of clearance between the rubber and the shaft tube so on a standard 1500 setup everything could stay in stock form.

The only reason I posted this info here was due to some questions on the Darksider forums about putting CT's on Harleys and GL1500 and the overwhelming answer was no it can't be done due to the narrow rim. However what I discovered with this project was that the Federal 175 tire is not only the same width as a stock MC tire but has offset beads so it does fit just as an MC tire would.
I was under the impression 1500 riders had given up on the idea.

There is hope

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 AM

Post imported post

So now you have me curious!! I may run by a tire store today and take a look at the Federal tires. Shinko a motorcycle tire company is now on the market with a radial tire made just for the 1500 and likewise it has the offset bead.

Many years ago Michelin made a radial for the 1500 but had problems with it so they dropped it.

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 03:54 PM

Post imported post

Very nice work, storm! Glad you shared this with us. Welcome to the forum.

John

John
1996 GL1500 SE
Past bikes
1985 Aspencade 1200
1978 Honda GL 1000
1974 Honda 350 Four
1974 Yamaha TY 250 Trials
1973 Yamaha 360 RT3
1971 Honda SL 100
1968 Honda Trail 50
3 1/2 HP mini bike
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 PM

Model: 1999 1500SE Motortrike
Post imported post

Nice engineering on your Stealth trike! jimsjinx

"We are put here, to take care of each other"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Storm,

I just now had the time to go look at your links.

Nice work, and a job well done.

For your application, I can't see any issues to cause trouble for you.

~ John

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM

Post imported post

I just wanted to say after reading about the darksiders I have decided to join them. I now have about 400 miles on my 1800 with the Kumo recommended by Kit Carson. Kit yor are right about the headshake. After installing the Kumo rear and Bridgestone front my headshake disappeared.
Yes I can feel a slight difference in how it handles but I loved it almost immediately.
Dirtbiker
Den

dirtbiker
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page