Bike Alarms - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Do any of you use an alarm system on your bikes? Do locks do just as good a job? If so, what type of security do you recommend?

Roryrob

Two wheeled flyer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 06:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Panatellos
Post imported post

I don't have any experience with them. I have friends that have alarms on their bikes and I guess they work as good as a car alarm. they have a kill switch that disables the engine. All the components are hidden away in hard to reach places.

Pan

So come with me, where dreams are born, and time is never planned. Just think of happy things, and your heart will fly on wings, forever, in Never Never Land!

I am not illiterate...... I know damn well who my parents are !!!!!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 PM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

i had a friend who had an alarm on his vlx600 worked good the remote start was nice.. but since i never leave my bike alone i dont think i need it. plus i dont want to mess with my stock electrical system.. maybeee ill install one later. there are some cheap ones at ebay
its a good feature to keep those morons that jump on other's bikes away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 03:25 AM

Model: 2008 Comfort/Navi
Garage
Post imported post

With the 1800, put it in reverse before you turn the key off. It locks the back wheel. Use some common sense when you pick a spot to park it. If youare worried about someone messing with the bike or prying the trunk or saddlebags open, then put an alarm on it.

I put a simple alarm on mine. Hooked up the tilt sensor to the trunk, so even if the shock sensor is diabled the alram will go off if someone opens the trunk.

More opinions and suggestions should be along shortly.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 03:35 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

As most of you know I sell bikes for a living and here in the shop we get a lot of people who come in to get alarms fitted and my advice to you is FORGET IT .. They are a pain in the neck and not worth the hassle on a wing ,It is very rare to have a wing stolen ,

The main problem with alarms is that the constantly go off ,if someone even hits the saddle of stands up against the bike for a photo ,if you stop for gas and take the key out of the ignition to fill with gas the alarm sets and by the time you finish filling the tank and close the lid the alarm is going off ,

they also run your battery down pretty quick if you are not using the bike .

The feed back that we get from customers after a few weeks with their alarm is that they wished they had never fitted it in the first place , Ciaran

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 05:11 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

I tend not to worry too much and just take the precaution of leaving the bike in reverse,in well lit busy places,which would probably foil the opportunist, and a cover over the bike will keep the light fingers off usually.

For models without the rotor covers I think the disc locks are a good idea and I have even seen the locks that go on the brake side of the handlebars that opperate the brake which might help.

Nothing will deter a serious thief, but he is gonna need some mates to acually lift a Wing to remove it!!!

Aheavy duty chain and padlock round a signpost or railings, to the wheel,will also help to deter the scumbags.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Post imported post

wexy wrote:
Quote:
As most of you know I sell bikes for a living and here in the shop we get a lot of people who come in to get alarms fitted and my advice to you is FORGET IT .. They are a pain in the neck and not worth the hassle on a wing ,It is very rare to have a wing stolen ,

The main problem with alarms is that the constantly go off ,if someone even hits the saddle of stands up against the bike for a photo ,if you stop for gas and take the key out of the ignition to fill with gas the alarm sets and by the time you finish filling the tank and close the lid the alarm is going off ,

they also run your battery down pretty quick if you are not using the bike .

The feed back that we get from customers after a few weeks with their alarm is that they wished they had never fitted it in the first place , Ciaran
Here is where I will disagree with the great wexy.

I have a META alarm fitted to my Valk, and also to my SuperMagna. It is a dedicated bike alarm, NOT a modified car alarm. I've had them for years, and couldn't recommend them enough.

It will passively arm the immobiliser circuit after 40 seconds of the ignition being turned off. It does not sound when closing the gas cap.
Once fullyarmed, if the alarm does get set off, it resets itself after a 30 second run.
The power drain is minimal, with a 115db (I think) siren. It's bloody loud, in other words!!
Once armed, the power drain is miniscule, and after 10 days it goes into Sleep Mode, and draws no power at all.
(read the guff in the META site. tells you everything)

Steve's 1500 has, just like his old 1200, has a modified car alarm. It's a right pain. If the bike is not rigged to a tender, it will drain the battery. Go on......ask us how we found THAT out!!!!

If you want an alarm, by all means get one if it means peace of mind. But do spend the extra and get a dedicated bike alarm. And get it fitted properly.

Just my €2 worth....

Phil.
\'98 Honda GL1500C Valkyrie Standard
\'88 Honda VF750C SuperMagna
\'89 Honda GL1500
\'79 Honda CB750KZ (Sold April 2009)

There is no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 PM

Model: 2008 Comfort/Navi
Garage
Post imported post

Mine alarm sounds for 30 seconds as well. If one of the sensors alarms more than 5 times in a row it will automaticaly disable that part of the alarm. The alarm only arms when I turn it on, so no trouble at the gas station for me.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:09 AM

Post imported post

I've been around GoldWings for a long long time. I have traveled all over the US and Canada. To this day I've never meet anyone who has first hand knowledge of a GoldWing being stolen.

I know of someone who had a bag that was bungied to the bike taken, but an alarm would not have helped that.

However, I have a device on my bike called a Hoodwinker. In short it's a flashing LED that turns off when the bike is on, and turns on when the bike is off. It makes everyone THINK I have an alarm. But I don't get any false alarms. Best of all they sell for about $15.00

Burt

The other day my wife asked me what I was going to do today, I told her "nothing." She said "didn't you do that yesterday?" I told her "Yes, but I wasn't finished yet!" Nice to be retired.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:04 AM

Model: GL1100 / GL1200
Post imported post

I have found over the last 19 years of ownership of my Goldwing that letting everyone see a rather largish, dressed in black leather from head to toe, known to carry a gun most of the time, German heritage male step off a bike that sports club affiliated stickers tends to eliminate the need for an alarm on the bike.

Mike Kramer

"Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: Now."

Denis Waitley
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page