Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/)
-   -   1200 goldwing (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/324045-1200-goldwing.html)

sandman jim 04-21-2009 02:48 PM

imported post

hi..had my 1200 interstate 1 year now getting more use to it the more i ride her.. but how well do they really handle.. i am suprised how well my bike feels while i am riding her but i dont go mad on her...... regards..jim :waving::waving::waving:

steve worth 04-21-2009 03:23 PM

imported post

Mine was really good. You could fair chuck it around and other members of our bike club, (usually on smaller bikes) couldn't believe how easy it looked to handle- even on small twisty roads. When they tried it themselves they were amazed. I've got a 1500 now and I really like it, but it handles like a BIG bike!. Not nearly so responsive for me. Could be the tyres (Dunlop E3's, which seem mighty hard, but long lasting), or the extra weight. .....Steve

Kefltrvlr2 04-21-2009 03:33 PM

imported post

I'm amazed at how well mine handles on twistys. I thought for sure a bike over 800 lbs. would be difficult to handle but I'm really enjoying it. It corners very well, evidenced by the three times I've dragged my boot heels off my highway pegs in the past week. ;)

Jsalpha2 04-21-2009 03:39 PM

imported post

I had an 84 1200. I've been told the newer 1200s had a slightly different front end.
Mine was kind of awkward at very low speeds. First gear in the parking lot always took a little extra care. Once rolling it was great. My 1500 is heavier, more creature comforts, but less sporty. They are both great to have. Never been on an 1800.

Good Luck :)

JOHNO 04-21-2009 05:48 PM

imported post

I think the 1200 handles really well.

The only time it's not too good is at really low speeds when the weight of the bike takes over but not enough to needing to put feet down, right down to a complete standstill, but enough to need a bit of room either sidefor the slow motion wobble.

Otherwise cornering can be carried at decptive speeds, having grounded driver pegs and engine barsI can vouch for that, just make sure you have good tyres.

Straight line at high speeds is no problem I'veneversuffered speed wobbles even carrying heavy loads or towing a trailer.

I've ridden a few times upto Thurso so have an idea on the state of the roads, i don't think you shouldhave any problems although it is a bit narrow and tight west of Dounreay on the A836/838 and beyondjust go a bit easy if you go that way and service your forks regularly.

Johno

can be seen somewhere between Plymouth and Glasgow

Bike...and Dennis 04-21-2009 08:07 PM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)

ANY QUESTIONS?

wingwarrior 04-21-2009 08:42 PM

imported post

High speed 120 + to the low speed U turns in the street feels like a dream

stevefl 04-21-2009 09:46 PM

imported post

sandman jim wrote:
Quote:

"but how well do they really handle..."
My '86 Interstate handles like a dream.

I just fitted her with a new pair of "Michelin Commanders" I'm still amazed at the improvement; she has always cornered well but now...... Unbelievable!!!

oldishwinger 04-21-2009 10:01 PM

imported post

they handle really really effortlessly for a heavy bike, can be flicked from side to side with ease, the response is instant.

they have a forgiving nature, allowing you to change should you muck up a corner or something. (I found this out several times)

I found though, I need to ride by the numbers in front of me, trying gauge speed by looking at the road, through the windscreen, is hopeless it looks like the bike is dawdling along.

when I first got her I got caught several times, entering corners. way faster that i thought I was doing.

good luck,

FangGL1200 04-21-2009 11:13 PM

imported post

I would have to agree with Oldishwinger that looking up can get your attenion in a corner..Bike feels like it just moseying along till you are into the corner draging a foot peg, with your brain wondering what will happen and your butt puckered to the seat..Man I love my bike..