Bike Painting - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Well as some of you know I got a 82 Aspencade this year, nice bike, but the pinstriping is very worn on some area. The trunk and bags. I want to get the bike painted, but I cant afford 700 to 800 dollars to have it done. Has anyone tried to remove the pinstriping and redo it? can that be dome.

Any ideas will be welcome. Or if you want to paint it for me, Maybe we could work out a payment plan. I dont use credit cars, thats why i cant just get it done.

Plus my surgery I had this year will be setting me back about 3 or 4 grand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:51 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

Hey Revalator,

My only idea would be to use a hot, wet cloth and try soaking the stripe for awhile. I dont know if it will work but if it does, let us know, as lots of us are having this problem.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Try Easy Off oven cleaner. Has worked for others.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:31 PM

Post imported post

Usually their clear coated over. SO to get off the original stripe the rest of the clear has to be removed. Problem is its always the clear on the stripes that seems to wear off. And its usually not on all the stripe. It also chips and peels around the edges of the pin stripping. If the clear around the edges aren't too shot you can usually go to a auto store and pick up a good brand of stickon and just go over the old.Maybe go 1mm or a little larger than the stock width to cover the peeled and chipped edge of the original. That stuff sticks like no tommorrow and once waxed over holds even better. Other than that, a repaint and pinstripping then clear. JR

"Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes"
1983 GL1100I
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 PM

Model: 2008 Comfort/Navi
Garage
Post imported post

Easy off worked on the pinstriping on my 89. Used it to remove the names when I traded up to my 1800.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 08:57 AM

Post imported post

didnt mess up the paint?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:48 AM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

I started to tell my tale of adventures in painting my Wing, but I got rather long winded ...I do that at times...So here is my advise, remember advise is like elbows, everyone has at least one or two.... A little back ground here, For the last year I have been , between some bad health issues between my wife and my self, plus a crazy work schedule, I have been trying to rebuilding my 82 Interstate, plus doing a first class paint job.....

My advise is this....If its just the pin stripping try what oldtoys1961 said, or just save your money up and do a complete paint job...I don't know any where here you can get a complete paint job on a Wing for $700.00.....There are about 15 pieces on a Wing that would have to be removed, badges, latches, and all mounting hardware removed, bagged and tagged for re-installation....When I say 15 pieces I'm counting every piece, lids, bags, fenders, etc....It is a bunch of pieces...

The paint and all of the odds and ends, primer, flex additives, base coat, clear coat, and this does not take in sand paper, etc for my Wing is almost $400.00, now factor in labor and you will find out that paint shop labor runs any where from $50 to $75 per hour......And trust me it is going to take more than one hour to get all these pieces ready for primer, then re-sanding and then your paint job....

I have been to several paint shops in my area and the least amount I have found was close to a major heart attack, several thousand dollars, or more, for a turn key paint job..Your discount paint shops won't even do a bike paint job....So if you are determine to re paint your Wing....I suggest that you gather up a bunch of your friends, buy some liquid beverages, fire up the barbie, put on some rock and roll on the radio, and have a paint party....

Paint work can be a nightmare ask me, but by hopefully the end of June mine will be finished, and rideable again...

Claude....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Model: 2008 Comfort/Navi
Garage
Post imported post

No, it didn't mess up the paint. Actually I asked the guy that pinstriped it and he told me to use Easy off. He did say that it might leave the area where the easy off was applied a bit hazy and I might have to buff it to restore the shine, but I had no such trouble. The pinstriping was painted on, I dont believe it was clear coated.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 AM

Post imported post

revelator, the pinstriping on the 82 is applied, not painted. And the clearcoat is on top. That leaves a couple of options.
1) Since you plan to repaint, use 80 grit on a palmsander, break the clearcoat seal, and then warm it with a hair dryer, in sections, and it will actually peel off. Finish sanding the entire piece, to get it ready for primer.

2) Use 80 grit to completely sand the entire piece, including the pinstriping.

I use dupli-color paint from a can, available from Advance Auto Parts. Only problem, the color choices are limited. But take your time, prep it right, and you can still do a first class paint job, for approximately $100.

I have never used, or heard of using, Easy-Off. Might be worth it, just to test it.

Jim Horton
Myrtle Beach SC 29588
843-274-5045
Patriot Guard Rider
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page