Navigation with GPS - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaGoldwing Send a message via MSN to CarolinaGoldwing
Post imported post

Looking to get a GPS and want it to have XM radio. Which units do you have and what are the likes and dislikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:38 PM

Post imported post

The Garmin 550 has xm, and you can program your routes too. The prices are falling on this model now that the new 660 is out. I would check out e-bay.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

The older Garmin 2730 also has XM with an FM modulator if you want that. It also has an external audio jack.

This is a discontinued model and mapping upgrades are no longer offered. But, the roads have not been moved since I bought mine, so.................

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaGoldwing Send a message via MSN to CarolinaGoldwing
Post imported post

I was looking at the 2730. When was the last time you were about to update yours?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 PM

Garage
Post imported post

i think they will sell the last update, it just won't be current as of this year.

Mine is about 3 years old from the last update. I need to give it a shot at updating myself.

I prefer the 2730/2720/2710 series because they have major function buttons on the panel, versus the Nuvi series of which I own two of them. I think the Nuvi's are a piece of crap.

why? Simply because if you are about 4 to 8 levels deep searching for something and want to go back to the Main Menu, you can't without turning it off. You must keep clicking Back,Back,Back, until finally you get to the top level. I hate the damn thing and mine is for sale as of now.

I just returned from a 4,000 mile trip and no GPS has gained so much hate from me than the Nuvi series. Never again in my vehicles. I kicked myself 13 times over for leaving the 2730 in my truck and not taking it on this last trip.

The Nuvi's are okay, IF, all you want to do is enter a single location and go to that location. Do multiple searches though, and you will soon wish you had not bought it.

~ John

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 AM

Post imported post

I bought my wife a Navigon GPS for Mother's Day. I am very impressed with the 7200T model I got for Her SUV. It does not have XM but other Navigon models may have it. I think they are worth looking into. Great graphics, lifetime free traffic reports, voice activation, lots of features.

Today is a great day foe a ride!
93 Aspencade
99 Magna VF750C
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 AM

Post imported post

I have never felt the need to own a GPS before. I seemed to manage to find my way quite well without the need for electronic devices. However, last week I read on another forum where a guy bought a Garmin Nuvi 200 for $86.00 plus shipping. Hesitantly, I went online and ordered one. Cost: $96.00 to my house. I realize that this unit does not have all the bells and whistles on it, but it didn't cost $200 plus dollars either. I, surprisingly, am quite pleased with what I got for my money. It helps manage traffic and does everything I need for it to do. I realize that if I used a Garmin 550 or equivilant, I would be amazed at how much more it is capable of doing. But for now, I am happy with what I have. I'm not into listening to music when I ride, I feel it would be distracting, and I do not fault anyone that does or wants more from the devices they purchase. I just feel that, for the money, I have a very capable GPS.

Bernie

GL1500 Valkyrie
Work for tomorrow, live for today.
Live life like you mean it!
American Legion Member
Patriot Guard Rider Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:36 AM

Garage
Post imported post

The Nuvi's do a good job of getting you there. Used them for over a year now.

I'm just spoiled by the "instant access" of using a GPS that has front panel controls to instantly go to "Map" or "Find" anytime I want to.

The Nuvi is an excellent GPS for the money.

~ John

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Post imported post

Thanks AZ. I wasn't trying to step on any toes. Just felt the Nuvi does a good job for the money. Maybe on day I will fully emerge into the 21st century, but for now I will plod along. Being a scrooge keeps me from really spending money I should sometimes!

Bernie

GL1500 Valkyrie
Work for tomorrow, live for today.
Live life like you mean it!
American Legion Member
Patriot Guard Rider Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:58 PM

Post imported post

Quote:
you can't without turning it off. You must keep clicking Back,Back,Back, until finally you get to the top level.
No, you just press and hold the 'back' button. It'll go right to the beginning.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page