Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another rider down.

670 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  clark9825 
#1 ·
imported post

A friend, and co-worker of mine and I were talking about the increase in deer sightings the last two years. We both work steady midnight and commute about the same distance to work, just from different directions. Well last night while riding in a rural area he rounded a bend and ran smack into the back end of a HORSE. The bike went down, and he and his wife suffered some bruises and scrapes. I don't have any particulars about the bike or accident. I only found out about it this morning as I was leaving work. He didn't show for the start of the shift, but the daylight supervisor tracked me down after answering the 24 hour call-off number. Please be careful out there my friends, and no "HORSE - ALERT" jokes... :gunhead:

#2 ·
imported post

Whoever owns the horse will be responsible for the accident in most states. Here in South Carolina it applies to all livestock. I lost a very good friend and co-worker to an Angus Bull in the middle of the road as his wife rounded a curve after dark. The owner was held responsible for everything.

#3 ·
imported post

I'm really glad to hear they escaped with only minor injuries.

I know that where I often ride, the Open Range laws dictate that if you hit any livestock in the road, it's your fault and you will be buying the rancher another horse, cow, sheep, ect.

The road just has to be posted with open range signs.

#4 ·
imported post

The stretch or road for me to come to work has always had deer both in the morning (dawn) and the evening (dusk). Last weekend with my wife, we were riding in the same area and almost hit a young female deer at 1:00 in the afternoon.

GET DEER WHISTLES-THEY SAVE LIVES

#5 ·
imported post

deradler1 wrote:
The stretch or road for me to come to work has always had deer both in the morning (dawn) and the evening (dusk). Last weekend with my wife, we were riding in the same area and almost hit a young female deer at 1:00 in the afternoon.

GET DEER WHISTLES-THEY SAVE LIVES
I have a friend who swears by them deer alerts.The ones on his bike has dried mud in them little holes............DUH...:cheeky1:

#6 ·
imported post

Thank God they only appear to have minor injuries. This past Wednesday a former student at the school I work for lost his life after losing control of his ninja going around a sharp curve. From what I heard he was driving entirely to fast and simply lost it. It is a shame, he was only 22 and just out of college. For all of the younger riders please remember no one is invincible and you need to drive smart. Ride safe everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.