Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

home made cargo trl.

2K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  oldtoys1961 
#1 ·
imported post

could use a few tips on what dimensions to use for building a cargo trl. for my 76 gl1000. looks like most trls. are 45" from outside tire to outside tire. curious why that width. overall length about 85". what i am concerned with is axle placement to achieve proper tongue weight. i realize how i load the trl. will add or subtract to the tongue weight. would appreciate any experience with this topic.

#2 ·
imported post

Trailer width depends on your cargo box width. The narrower and lower you can get your load, the better. You may want to leave a little room for expansion, if you fit a different box on it. I did narrow my HF trailer 4" because it was easy to do so.

When I built mine, I experimented with moving the axle back and forth and the weight transfer on an empty trailer was very negligible.

#3 ·
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!! :action:

#4 ·
imported post

AUTOCAR SENSE I HAVE BUILT TRAILERS FOR A LIVEING,I WILL TELL YOU AND ANYONE ELSE THAT WANTS TO KNOW LOL.HOW YOU GET YOUR AXLE SET IS SIMPLE YOU TAKE THE LENGHTH OF YOUR FRAME NOT THE TOUNGUE JUST THE FRAME,SAY A 4 FT BOX OR FRAME YOU FIND CENTER WHICH IS 2 FT,THAN YOU GO BACK WHICH MEANS TOWARD THE BACK OF THE FRAME 4 INCHES,HOW WE COME UP WITH THAT IS SIMPLE FIND CENTER AND ADD 1 INCH PER FT OF BOX.AND I PROMISE IT WILL WORK.

#5 ·
imported post

Pate is SCREAMING(caps) to you the right answer,mine is a 4 ft box and I measured it just to see and it was 4 inches back from the 2ft center and this trailer was built by Coleman.

#6 ·
imported post

Well heres mine. It ain't pretty but its functional. I tried to spruce it up. I didn't expect a touring show trailer looks that costs $3k.

I figure I have about $175 in it now and need to replace the left tire as the PO plugged the side wall, so off it comes and another $22.00 at Walmart.

I extended it by 10" with steel square tube, narrowed the bed and axle by 7" to fit the $25 car carrier. Added some $6 apiece tail lights and some scrap lighting, changed out the running lights and blinker to LED but left the brakes alone. Just mounted a cooler holder and used bungees to hold it down so it wont go anywhere. when I get where I'm going, i'll drop the trailer setup camp and then go ridin'. yahooooo :)

#10 ·
imported post

I sure wanted 12" but could only find rims and tires for around another $100 to switch over. You can see the step up I made to level it out.The 12" would have made it sit just right without that. If I run across some super cheap(yea, I know I'm a cheapskate) I'll grab them. But didn't and haven't come across any to swap over. So I'm looking at $22 for just a tire or $100 to swap over. Guess which one wins out for now?:)

I'll probably use it just a 3 or 4 times a year. Deffinately for my trip to Deals Gap and Tellico KOA. JR

#13 ·
#14 ·
imported post

I've built my own trailers which have both been coast to coast (not in a straight line), I found #1 - 6' from hitch to axle, #2, 1 leaf spring, #3, 15 - 20 lbs tire pressure works for us. The silver one was in Newfoundland last June ( pic taken then), Calhoun last Sept & will be in Montrose in 5 weeks. :waving::waving::action::action::action:

Trailers

#15 ·
imported post

Pate wrote:
this is the back of it.It has a pc of plexiglass with a picture behind it that lights up when lights are on,I will post later with the lights on very cool.picture is of the old roxy theater.

There's a picture house here in Victoria called the Roxy Cinegog http://webvictoria.com/theroxy/ it's the cheapest place in town to see a movie.

#16 ·
imported post

Pate, what is that box made from? It looks like a large plywood box. Does it create a lot of drag? I have been looking for the cargo carrier, but if that type of box doesn't create a lot of excess drag, I have the wood out in my shop that I can build one from.

#17 ·
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
I've built my own trailers which have both been coast to coast (not in a straight line), I found #1 - 6' from hitch to axle, #2, 1 leaf spring, #3, 15 - 20 lbs tire pressure works for us. The silver one was in Newfoundland last June ( pic taken then), Calhoun last Sept & will be in Montrose in 5 weeks. :waving::waving::action::action::action:

Trailers

Hi Bob, did you have any problem registering them for road use?

#19 ·
imported post

Ebay has some silver 12 in wheel & tire for buy it now price of 30.00 shipping 15.00 combined 25 for 2
So 85 bucks for the pair or HF has chrome ones for 120 for the pair without shipping.
I just don't care for the white ones myself.

#20 ·
imported post

I did see a guy hauling a trailer with a 1800 a while back. Diamond Plate tool box and 8" tires with hubcaps. The hubcaps looked really good. Dont know what the exact size would be for a trailer tire, but I know they exist.Wish I knew where he got them.

#21 ·
imported post

I just seen them some where (moon hubcaps)for sell,I'll have to go see if I can find them because, I suffer from CRS.

#22 ·
imported post

:action:Welcome! More info here than you'll ever need! And it's all good! I cut 11" off the axle to get the track inside the trikes stance. I did the same as others and started with a "too long" tongue (trailer,not my mouth!), and the length was a big plus in trailing straight with no swaying at hyway speeds. Check it out. jimsjinx

Attachments

#23 ·
imported post

oldtoys1961 wrote:
I did see a guy hauling a trailer with a 1800 a while back. Diamond Plate tool box and 8" tires with hubcaps. The hubcaps looked really good. Dont know what the exact size would be for a trailer tire, but I know they exist.Wish I knew where he got them.
Just about anywhere you can find parts for golf carts, you can find the hub caps. But just like any toy supplies, there a little on the pricy side.:D

#24 ·
imported post

Just before painting. The paint I used for the plastic fenders and cargo carrier was Rustoleum for Plastic, in a "hammered" black finish. Sticks well to ABS and PVC type plastic. Good luck and have fun. PM me if you need any measurements or more pics. jimsjinx:waving:

Attachments

#25 ·
imported post

I had thought several times about building my own trailer and even have an old Sears car top carrier that is in my tool shed....But this past weekend I had a M&G with one member up near my sons house and he gave me this ....so for now it is just going to have to do.....:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:,,,

http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum3/75918.html

Posts number 7 through 10...I think this little jewel will be just about right....But thanks for all the wonderful information on building a home made rig...Who knows I might build one later on like you guys have ....

Claude....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.